What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a new tri clover sanitary valve for one of my fermenters. I also got a flare barb to attach Eva Barrier tubing from the valve to my kegs when filling with beer.

valve.jpg

After oxidizing a batch of competition beer due to splash caused by stiff tubing
10 feet of 3/8 silicone.View attachment 765318
Silicone is the absolute worst tubing material for preventing oxygen diffusion from the air into the beer/wort inside.

Brew on :mug:

Why is silicone so bad for preventing oxygenation?

It is permeable, all rubberized tubing has a diffusion factor which allows gas to travel through the tube wall. While it easily retains liquids, the tubing has a slow rate of diffusion allowing O2 to enter.

Even barrier bottle caps have a low rate of diffusion, gas is always trying to reach equilibrium and will migrate.

Thank you for that info.

If ALL rubberized tubing allows gas to pass (lol... sorry...) is silicon worse than other materials? I'm asking because I have always liked silicone and used it for not shedding plasticisers, and it's ability to last and last.

Thank you for that info.

If ALL rubberized tubing allows gas to pass (lol... sorry...) is silicon worse than other materials? I'm asking because I have always liked silicone and used it for not shedding plasticisers, and it's ability to last and last.
Yes, silicon is the worst. It's diffusion coefficient for O2 is 10 - 100 X higher than other common polymers.

It's ok for plumbing for wort (unless you are going full LoDO), but should not be used with finished beer, especially hoppy beers.

Silicone is the absolute worst tubing material for preventing oxygen diffusion from the air into the beer/wort inside.

Well damn! The tubing I had used had gotten out of position then basically made a fountain in the bottling bucket. Running some beer through silicon, but without splashing shouldn’t be nearly as bad. (I hope) I do thank you for sharing the information.

Last edited:
Well damn! The tubing I had used had gotten out of position then basically made a fountain in the bottling bucket. Running some beer through silicon, but without splashing shouldn’t be nearly as bad. (I hope) I do thank you for sharing the information.
Yes, even the worst tubing is better than a fountain.

This data table suggests silicone is ~130x more permeable to oxygen than polyethylene, and this article (worth a read) has polyethylene 80x more permeable than barrier beer line.

So yeah, silicone is fine for wort but barrier beer line is worth it for serving beer - if you can find it, Malt Miller is about the only place that has it in retail quantities in the UK.

Got a tube of Haynes CIP-Film keg lube from Amazon. I like that it washes off with hot water. Don't like greasy gunk getting everywhere. I'll use it for the mouths of the 1/2 gal mason jars on my CO2 Harvester (they leak air if the lids aren't lubed).

Thanks, @marc1 for bringing up the CIP-Film in another thread.

View attachment 766024Well it’s not for me, unless I can win a particular category in my club’s competition in May.

looks like something more for a moonshine competition? who's ever white lightin' is best gets implanted in it?

that's one good looking barrel!

I am still waiting for my hop rhizomes from northern brewer to show up.
I'm waiting on rhizomes from Adventures In Homebrewing. I called them today and was told they will ship directly from the grower when harvested. We'll it's mid April, they should have been harvested in March. AIH has been taken over by Northern Brewer. So I'm guessing we are waiting for the same reason. What ever that is.

I'm waiting on rhizomes from Adventures In Homebrewing. I called them today and was told they will ship directly from the grower when harvested. We'll it's mid April, they should have been harvested in March. AIH has been taken over by Northern Brewer. So I'm guessing we are waiting for the same reason. What ever that is.

Northern brewer does not have a voice phone number listed on website so I texted them to ask when I could expect my order is hop rhizomes to ship. This is the response.

Hi - The hop farm has begun mailing out the rhizomes! They begin with the warmest USDA growing zones, and work their way up to the cooler zones last. I would think yours will be mailed soon! They are sending out an email with the USPS tracking as they mail them out, so watch for that, and you'll be aware of when they are on the way. Thanks again for the orders, have a good day!

I live in the California. I would have expected this to be one of the warmest growing zones... I guess not. 🤔

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends where in California you are. And Florida, southern Arizona and New Mexico, and Gulf Coast Texas are far ahead of most parts and Cali only matches some of the cooler zones. You can locate your zone via the USDA interactive map.

https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/pages/view-maps

Northern brewer does not have a voice phone number listed on website so I texted them to ask when I could expect my order is hop rhizomes to ship. This is the response.

Hi - The hop farm has begun mailing out the rhizomes! They begin with the warmest USDA growing zones, and work their way up to the cooler zones last. I would think yours will be mailed soon! They are sending out an email with the USPS tracking as they mail them out, so watch for that, and you'll be aware of when they are on the way. Thanks again for the orders, have a good day!

I live in the California. I would have expected this to be one of the warmest growing zones... I guess not. 🤔
I received a rhizome from a non-beer-related nursery two weeks ago. Still waiting for the one from GLH. The hops I have in the ground are already looking at 12" of growth or a dense cluster on the crown. The rhizome I received two weeks ago is almost a foot long. The weather this year has been good for hops and grapes so far in SoCal. The three older Muscats I have in the ground have about two dozen bunches between them so far.

@JeffersonStateBrewing and @JAReeves I'm in Central Alabama and my established hops are already a foot tall and ready to be cut back. I guess they think we are stupid. I won't be ordering anything else from either of them going forward and I've purchased items from both AIH and Northern Brewer fairly recently. The only reason I ordered new hop rhizomes from AIH is due to replacement of dead rhizomes they sent last year and add one. No Mo.

@JeffersonStateBrewing and @JAReeves I'm in Central Alabama and my established hops are already a foot tall and ready to be cut back. I guess they think we are stupid. I won't be ordering anything else from either of them going forward and I've purchased items from both AIH and Northern Brewer fairly recently. The only reason I ordered new hop rhizomes from AIH is due to replacement of dead rhizomes they sent last year and add one. No Mo.
Maybe they are southern hemisphere hops and you'll get the rhizomes in the fall? 😵

Back