What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot wort catcher. Thanks Brewswag.
image.jpg

A Blichmann bottle filler. Needed something to go from keg to bottles to share with the local home brew shop. A friend said he loves it so figured I’d take a chance.

4gal fermenter, Anyone try these, thoughts?
sea7bp.jpg
I got a couple of these to use for bottling the small batches. The lid comes with a gasket that does not easily stay in place, at least not for me. The lid latches down with out too much turning without the gasket I’m not sure that tiny pests would be kept out... those damn fruit flys can get past airlock lid vents. The bottom is not flat, but is rounded, so the trub, would probably not get picked up in the flow of the spigot. They appear to be repurposed beverage dispensers.

I ordered this in December. Forgot about, just figured I'd never see it. I really wish I hadn't. Awful timing for a withdrawal from my bank account....
20190322_132234.jpg

20190322_132330.jpg

20190322_132402.jpg

How does a one-piece S-shaped airlock prevent suck back during cold crash? I ask because I once stuck my Speidel plastic fermenter in my spare fridge to cold crash a beer and one side of the fermenter caved in. They're built quite sturdy so that's some pretty powerful suck back. I can't imagine a simple, small airlock is going be impenetrable to such a powerful force.

How does a one-piece S-shaped airlock prevent suck back during cold crash? I ask because I once stuck my Speidel plastic fermenter in my spare fridge to cold crash a beer and one side of the fermenter caved in. They're built quite sturdy so that's some pretty powerful suck back. I can't imagine a simple, small airlock is going be impenetrable to such a powerful force.

I've read several older threads on the subject and it doesn't stop the suck back (air) per se, it supposedly prevents the liquid in the airlock from being drawn back into the fermenter which I have had happen with 3 piece airlocks... we'll see what happens. If all else fails, I guess I have 2 new airlocks I can use for other applications.

I've read several older threads on the subject and it doesn't stop the suck back (air) per se, it supposedly prevents the liquid in the airlock from being drawn back into the fermenter which I have had happen with 3 piece airlocks... we'll see what happens. If all else fails, I guess I have 2 new airlocks I can use for other applications.
I've read pretty much the same. It's for that reason that I don't cold crash at this time. I also read about using a large balloon to capture CO2 during fermentation and sucking that back in instead of oxygen when cold crashing. I may experiment with that down the road.

Back