What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunday I drove up to Santa Barbara and picked up a 2-tap kegerator and a Robobrew. Replaced the 4-keg aging chamber with the kegerator and will experiment with the Robobrew as a mash tun (maybe I can do step mashes now?).

I got the stuff from @Muneio, For Sale - Selling all my homebrew equipment, great experience, friendly even in the rain!
I also listed some equipment that has to go now that I have upgraded stuff again, California - Beginners Brew Setup-$150

Sunday I drove up to Santa Barbara and picked up a 2-tap kegerator and a Robobrew. Replaced the 4-keg aging chamber with the kegerator and will experiment with the Robobrew as a mash tun (maybe I can do step mashes now?).

I got the stuff from @Muneio, For Sale - Selling all my homebrew equipment, great experience, friendly even in the rain!
I also listed some equipment that has to go now that I have upgraded stuff again, California - Beginners Brew Setup-$150
You were almost up in my neck of the woods.

Boddington's ashtray just a really cool fun piece. I saw it and couldn't resist!

PXL_20230120_230050917.jpg

This vial of funk and a box of miscellaneous grains to replenish some of my supply. I’ve come across another recipe for a Guinness clone that involves adding the Brett to a small amount of a dark wort that will be added back to a pale beer/ “dark coloring extract” combination at packaging time. I’m hopeful this is going to be successful!
CFBA009C-54D2-43FA-9FF9-0A5394D8E9A5.jpeg

Edit: the Brett is added to a small amount of the pale base beer that’s saved back… then added to the keg (after boiling) after getting funky for a couple months.

Last edited:
I meant to post this yesterday but...the courier conveniently put the box on its side right next to my door, so with my medical issues, I was able to brace myself on the doorframe and use my foot to tilt it high enough to reach and then place the bottom on my foot to lift and place inside the door, but.. there was a junk-mail bundle a few feet away and I stupidly let go of my brace to pick it up and on rising, the vertigo and occipital pressure hit me like a truck so I haven't been very functional since....But, here it is:
My cat got a new box!
IMG_1456.jpg

Velvet (the cat) graciously gave me the packing material to play with and here it is, another box:
IMG_1453.jpg

...And inside that box (which I had to also surrender to the cat) was my nice new single-handle 5-Gallon AEB corny:
IMG_1454.jpg

How did I just discover this thread today? I decided to make the leap into homebrew shortly after Christmas and I think I literally had a beer related shipment every day besides holidays from Dec 31 until yesterday. Well no beer related stuff today but I did get this and I will say it really ties the room together
EC1292B4-A864-4705-BD74-AC15E46BDB8E.jpeg

View attachment 811411

Two for the home kegs, two for the travel kegs! Looking forward to using these bad boys!
Curious to see how they work! Post a thread about them(if one hasn't been started yet)?

Also, all I got was stinkin' bills...Nothing good yet, have a busy month coming up so not much time to brew, already have nearly 10 gallons packaged so I need to work through that first. Next purchase, will hopefully be a liter bottle of Clarity Ferm.

Curious to see how they work! Post a thread about them(if one hasn't been started yet)?

Also, all I got was stinkin' bills...Nothing good yet, have a busy month coming up so not much time to brew, already have nearly 10 gallons packaged so I need to work through that first. Next purchase, will hopefully be a liter bottle of Clarity Ferm.

Will do! Just kegged 5 gallons of German Pils and 5 Gallons of Kölsch...will update when they are ready to be tapped!

My first badge from MHP - About
Yes, this is largely an exercise for stroking my ego, but it is also pushing me to be a better brewer, through doing more styles and striving for improvement in my process.

Attachments

• 39CAE6CE-5CC5-4B78-9692-BE83402C0EA4.jpeg
    39CAE6CE-5CC5-4B78-9692-BE83402C0EA4.jpeg
    489.7 KB · Views: 0
Butter Vanilla emulsion and Sugar Cookie extract. Gonna try a small batch , maybe 1.5 or 2.5 gallon of experimental Sugar Cookie Christmas brew. I'm already making a 5 gal white Christmas Ale with the ubiquitous vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and sweet orange peel so if this small batch crashes and burns not a huge loss.
I just bought a 5 different emulsions to use for flavoring my beer. I am just curious when in the process do you use your emulsion? Boil? Fermentation? Keg? Thanks for your help.

I just bought a 5 different emulsions to use for flavoring my beer. I am just curious when in the process do you use your emulsion? Boil? Fermentation? Keg? Thanks for your help.
First time I ever used them. I did mine at flame out for 10 min. Unfortunately, my recipe was mad scientist..ish. Didn't turn out well but the emulsions had nothing to do with it. It was a brewsperiment that was utterly disasterous and best left in the dust bin of what not to brew history. Anyway as with most flavoring, boiling it will destroy alot of the flavor. And I'm sure adding it to secondary would be fine. When I add flavor extract, I usually add it to bottling bucket right before botting or kegging that way you can adjust it to your taste.. good luck !...and oh...NEVER EVER add Sugar Cookie dough mix as an experiment !!!! 😵‍💫😵‍💫

I’m not sure of what is an emulsion, as in is it different from extract, but adding it at packaging allows you to test a small addition to a small amount of finished beer and decide if it is the right strength. Adding a flavoring any other way risks using too much, and the only thing that may change the level of flavor is time… lots of time.

I agree. As I stated I usually add in the bottling bucket or 2nd transfer fermenter so it can be guaged. That particular time I added some at flameout. Flavor extracts use alcohol to capture and hold the flavor. Emulsions use water and vegetable gum. I guess if someone is an expert cook like my son they can explain the nuisances better.

I’m not sure of what is an emulsion, as in is it different from extract, but adding it at packaging allows you to test a small addition to a small amount of finished beer and decide if it is the right strength. Adding a flavoring any other way risks using too much, and the only thing that may change the level of flavor is time… lots of time.
I agree. As I stated I usually add in the bottling bucket or 2nd transfer fermenter so it can be guaged. That particular time I added some at flameout. Flavor extracts use alcohol to capture and hold the flavor. Emulsions use water and vegetable gum. I guess if someone is an expert cook like my son they can explain the nuisances better.
I was dosing a pint of cream ale with these different emulsions, and they were kind of chunky in the glass. They didn't dissolve and mix like an extract. I heated 5ml of water and added 1ml of emulsion and stired, and then added that to the cream ale. it seemed to mix better. That is when I started to wonder if it should be done a some other point in the process. I much prefer extracts, but the flavor I was looking for was only available in an emulsion.

I was dosing a pint of cream ale with these different emulsions, and they were kind of chunky in the glass. They didn't dissolve and mix like an extract. I heated 5ml of water and added 1ml of emulsion and stired, and then added that to the cream ale. it seemed to mix better. That is when I started to wonder if it should be done a some other point in the process. I much prefer extracts, but the flavor I was looking for was only available in an emulsion.
Me too ! Butter Vanilla. For my disasterous Sugar cookie Xmas beer that ended in the trash heap !! Or rather in the drain 😂🤣

I just needed one thing, it wasn't even for me it was for a friend who's a new brewer...so I ordered a pickup tube for him
and
10 lbs each of Munich Light and Dark
a pound of Roasted Barley
a pound of Crystal 120
2 lbs of Golden Promise
2 lbs of Caramunich
Fermcap
2 TC clamps and orings
half a dozen orings
a compression ferrule
and several 6.5 stoppers
for me.

Oh and a false bottom support that was for him too.

Now Lowes I can get in and out of with just one item...or two tops! (I'll be back later or just a couple of days anyway.)

Back