What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 more lbs of hops. Got a total of like 5 lbs on hand now and close to 125 lbs of grain. I've never been this stocked up, the next few months should be nice and busy building back up a pipeline. Should be able to put my 6 new kegs, regulator manifold, and freezer to good use soon. The new monster mill will be getting a workout too. Can't wait to see what Christmas brings.

Santa Claus, AKA @gratus fermentatio dropped a UPS Christmas present on my porch this afternoon. I decided I was too impatient to wait til Christmas so I just opened it.
Its what I always wanted. Seriously. Why doesn't everybody just follow this lead from here on out?
Thanks gf

View attachment 1419372356525.jpg

Last edited:
I got my shipment in a few days ago from NB! Brewed my first batch of beer today.

20141218_213507.jpg

I got a 210 gph pond pump that I'm hopefully going to be able to use to control my fermentation temps. My
A/C in my chamber bit the dust when I moved. I'm gonna use the pump to circulate cooled RV antifreeze through a copper coil in the wort.

Please don't take a chance with antifreeze coming into contact with the wort. Water is just fine and much safer for your needs.

Please don't take a chance with antifreeze coming into contact with the wort. Water is just fine and much safer for your needs.

I was wondering about that. I read about people using glycol, which would be antifreeze. Maybe they are using it with an air conditioner coil and is in much colder temps. Water would be easier for my little pump to push and it's cheaper. :)

And unless you are running a microbrewery it's really overkill. I guarantee you that however fast you can raise and lower the temp of the water will be more than enough to handle 5-10 gallons of beer.

And glycol is not the same as the antifreeze you put in your car. Breweries use glycol because it deemed food safe by the FDA. I use it as a lubricant on my e cig parts. And the e-liquids that I buy are made out of propylene glycol. So you can see how different the 2 substances are as far as the health risks go.

And unless you are running a microbrewery it's really overkill. I guarantee you that however fast you can raise and lower the temp of the water will be more than enough to handle 5-10 gallons of beer.

I was gonna have maybe a 2 gallon reservoir in my keezer. It stays at 40 degrees, so maintaining 65 or so on the wort shouldn't be too hard.

And glycol is not the same as the antifreeze you put in your car. Breweries use glycol because it deemed food safe by the FDA. I use it as a lubricant on my e cig parts. And the e-liquids that I buy are made out of propylene glycol. So you can see how different the 2 substances are as far as the health risks go.

I said I was thinking about using RV antifreeze. It is propylene glycol. Not regular ethylene glycol engine antifreeze. That would be a very bad idea.

Also, aren't breweries using glycol in jackets? They go around the fermenters, not inside them. n240sx, if you're going to submerge a coil in your beer similar to the new Ss gear, just use water. If there is a leak, it won't change the overall flavor of the beer drastically. Ive personally never tasted any antifreeze, RV or Auto, but i imagine the flavor impact would be far greater than water should a leak occur.

Also, aren't breweries using glycol in jackets? They go around the fermenters, not inside them. n240sx, if you're going to submerge a coil in your beer similar to the new Ss gear, just use water. If there is a leak, it won't change the overall flavor of the beer drastically. Ive personally never tasted any antifreeze, RV or Auto, but i imagine the flavor impact would be far greater than water should a leak occur.

Too true. Don't want to taste either.

Santa Claus, AKA @gratus fermentatio dropped a UPS Christmas present on my porch this afternoon. I decided I was too impatient to wait til Christmas so I just opened it.
Its what I always wanted. Seriously. Why doesn't everybody just follow this lead from here on out?
Thanks gf

Looks like stuff from this end of the country. That jam is great and so is the Ivan.

A new hydrometer, some of those carboy 'strip LCD' thermos, and a stepped drill bit for me to put a ball valve on my brew kettle.

Waiting on my 10 gal igloo false bottom and SS valves for my HLT, and MLT and I will have the means to do my first AG brew!

Me too! glitter all over the keyboard & me. But my lil sis also sent me a check for $100! Cha-friggin'-ching! Bought stuff for tonight & tomorrow. Warming up cream cheese now for two cheese balls. Got liquor, mixers, crackers, etc for the festivities.

Me too! glitter all over the keyboard & me. But my lil sis also sent me a check for $100! Cha-friggin'-ching! Bought stuff for tonight & tomorrow. Warming up cream cheese now for two cheese balls. Got liquor, mixers, crackers, etc for the festivities.

Cheeeese balls? You can't drink that! Maybe we need to add some sort of mini-dust devil attachment, or like a barbers brush to our Homebrew Utility Vest for easy glitter removal.

Cheeeese balls? You can't drink that! Maybe we need to add some sort of mini-dust devil attachment, or like a barbers brush to our Homebrew Utility Vest for easy glitter removal.

Wouldnt work. Glitter is the worst. Its definitely the herpes of arts and crafts. Once you get it on you, you wont get rid of it :D

I am personally convinced that glitter is the secret to faster than light travel. It is the only compound I am aware of that somehow is spread throughout the room before you get the container open.

I can see it now, we will be jetting around the cosmos in the future in space shuttles powered by glitter drives.

I said I was thinking about using RV antifreeze. It is propylene glycol. Not regular ethylene glycol engine antifreeze. That would be a very bad idea.

Unless it says it's food grade I wouldn't get it anywhere near my beer.

Oh sure, then all the orbiting satellites will get glitter all over them...:D

Let the satellites be fabulous if they want to.

Though i wonder the damage that can be caused by errant glitter in space. Space dust pits stuff. Imagine being the guy who had to admit that a project failed due to rogue glitter.

Well tomorrow my cool zone cooling jacket for my new stout conical shows up and I can hook it up to my chiller and finally have full temp /fermentation control for my brews...

and totally unrelated but the power supply I have been waiting for to fix my plasma will hopefully show up too :)

Web strap carboy carrier, and my 3pc SS valves for my boil kettle, HLT and MLT.

Just waiting on the false bottom for my cooler now...

Latest posts

Back