What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The app is crapppy for me with expanding pics. Can you edit to full size pic?
There you go!
20210219_181712.jpg

Supposed to be an Irish Red Ale but but I over-tweaked the recipe. I’m now calling it Massive Red Fail because the first few glasses tasted like crap. I’m not sure if it’s because it’s a Friday afternoon or what but this glass actually tastes pretty good. More lager like than IRA, but this is actually becoming drinkable.

48375FD8-E223-4FC5-BBA8-64AA3F0711F4.jpeg

What hops did you use? Made Northern Brewer's Imperial Red using Palisade hops,many moons ago. It was killer.
Magnum to bitter. Mostly Calista (one of my favorites!), with a bit of mosaic. I dry hopped with a small amount of cascade that I had leftover from numerous brews. It was an experimental 1G batch and at packaging I thought I had made my worst beer to date, but its coming together. A little tweaking on the hops and I think I would brew again.
Palisade might turn into a staple in my inventory. It seems really underutilized, but I used it in a bunch of different brews last year and was really impressed with it.

Magnum to bitter. Mostly Calista (one of my favorites!), with a bit of mosaic. I dry hopped with a small amount of cascade that I had leftover from numerous brews. It was an experimental 1G batch and at packaging I thought I had made my worst beer to date, but its coming together. A little tweaking on the hops and I think I would brew again.
Palisade might turn into a staple in my inventory. It seems really underutilized, but I used it in a bunch of different brews last year and was really impressed with it.

Never used Calista but I think the fruity character of Palisade works with the Malty Red character. I think your right in general. With the maltiness if a Red almost requires more hops for an IPA version. Local brewery, Austin Beer Garden Brewery (ABGB), makes a killer Imperial Red IPA, Big Mama, if you ever make it down.

Next....GBR! Girls are up against Minnesota

PXL_20210220_015900889.PORTRAIT.jpg

Never used Calista but I think the fruity character of Palisade works with the Malty Red character. I think your right in general. With the maltiness if a Red almost requires more hops for an IPA version. Local brewery, Austin Beer Garden Brewery (ABGB), makes a killer Imperial Red IPA, Big Mama, if you ever make it down.

View attachment 719319
Yes sir. #4 vs. #5.

View attachment 719319
And it’s not the same without a sold out Devaney Center. 8K+ fans is a different experience. Best place to watch volleyball.

My sister used to live in Newport News, her husband is an engine at the base there. Now they live in Williamsburg. When I go down there again I’ll have to check them out.
When you come down, give me a heads up, lots of great places between Virginia Beach and Richmond. Scott's Addition in Richmond is probably the best bang for your buck.

Can you get another one of those glasses? That bisch @RevKev was gonna get me a
I can certainly check. They came out a few years back when NYS was promoting the Beverage Trail for tourism. Each participating brewery put one out. This is Captain Lawrence’s. I’ll check around and certainly let you know.

Last edited:
How is that? I can't seem to commit to a whole 6 pack when I see it at the store...
I don't hate it. Admittedly, I only purchased a 12-pack because all SN products are on sale at a local liquor store, but its pretty good. I'd still prefer their flagship pale ale, though. I'm not a huge fan of overly hoppy/juicy beers, and it just starts to slightly get into that territory for me, but its a nice change of pace from my usual favorites. It's worth a six pack, in my opinion.

Back