What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to land a helicopter on Mars...

HB TIPA

PXL_20210218_203732744.jpg

Fire department training tonight. Drinking water.
We got these when we were a mutual aid department on a huge haystack fire this last summer. On large incidents crews rotate on and off the fire ground. When you rotate out, you go to a rehab area to rest, rehydrate, cool down and sometimes eat. Imagine our disappointment when they started handing these out after rotating through and it was just... WATER!
2BB067EC-3DBD-45DB-9E8A-BE871238937D.jpeg

Fire department training tonight. Drinking water.
We got these when we were a mutual aid department on a huge haystack fire this last summer. On large incidents crews rotate on and off the fire ground. When you rotate out, you go to a rehab area to rest, rehydrate, cool down and sometimes eat. Imagine our disappointment when they started handing these out after rotating through and it was just... WATER!
View attachment 719154

Last August we had one of our annual flaming bird fires (a bird will land between the terminals of a transformer, immediately burst into flames, and fall to the ground, starting the grass around the power pole on fire). This was in the middle of harvest on a day when the wind was blowing about 30 mph. I was driving one of our tenders and we chased the fire across a couple miles of stubble and standing wheat until it burned up to the edge of a plowed field and we were able to get a handle on it.

After mopping up a group of about 6 trucks and crews were waiting on the edge of the farmyard where the fire started, waiting to be released by the IC. A guy driving one of the mutual aid tenders said “Hey, anyone want a beer?” Sure, why not. He starts digging through the compartments of his truck and comes up with a duffel bag. Starts passing out warm Busch Light, the stuff in the ”Busch Latté” cans. Bud water might have been an upgrade.

Last August we had one of our annual flaming bird fires (a bird will land between the terminals of a transformer, immediately burst into flames, and fall to the ground, starting the grass around the power pole on fire).
We had one of those recently in a big substation, except it was a raccoon.
Home now
OT
HB Irish Stout
8DA711DE-7230-4D2E-9C81-D962FE9D3135.jpeg

Attended Industry night at the new location in Norfolk last night, grand opening this weekend. Best beers and only $2 each for the night.
Drinking some Eagle Rare tonight, my new habit is drinking bourbon while writing recipes for the brewery.View attachment 719133 I View attachment 719134
My sister used to live in Newport News, her husband is an engine at the base there. Now they live in Williamsburg. When I go down there again I’ll have to check them out.

First pull of 8.5% ABV Tripel w/ Ginger and Cinnamon. Harvested Allagash yeast. Needs to clear a bit more, but it's tasting pretty good. Used 3/4 tsp of freshly ground Indo cinnamon stick and 3/8 tsp of Penzeys powdered China ginger (in 5 gallons). Would probably increase both spices a little next time.

7URzJiY.jpg

Bells Bright White. I'm really impressed with this beer for some reason. I need to find a recipe for it. I would really like having it on tap. Also a homebrew English Mild. View attachment 719273
Never seen the bright white before. I'll have to take a closer look the next time in at the liquor store. I've liked nearly every white ale that I have tried, but sometimes the spices get a bit much. Interested to see what they achieve with just basic ingredients and no extra spices.

Good luck down there @PianoMan
My wife was showing me some pictures of some acquaintance's houses and they're in for a world of hurt when it warms up. I'm grateful to be forced to be prepared for stuff like that up north.

Thanks brother! Hopefully this will make Texas play along and get them on the national grid. Speaking of, power out again for the 5th time today.

The pictures of icicles from a ceiling fan and toilet bowl are sobering.

Cool businesses tho. Our Texas based chain grocery store was giving out free food. Multiple breweries in town, including Pinthouse, are giving out free drinking water.

Last edited:
Back