What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg

#5 and Hb Amarillo ipa

Drinking these all neat.

Whatevathefahk #2 is I'll take it. I'm new to bourbon and #1 was good. I get the bourbon corn sweet at the beginning but I was trying to figure out of the spice was from rye, which i don't think it is, but from the smoky charred oak. I was curious about the abv and seeing 120 explains a lot but the corn tames it. I also don't get the twang on non single barrel. I'm curious if there's any rye in this. If there is I'd say a small minoirty.

#2? I almost get the feeling of aged in second barrel Sherry. Maybe it's just the pure bourbon but aroma floral sweetness honey. Smoooooth. Guessing single barrel. No twang.

I usually drink my whiskeys neat. No ice no water but I know adding is what the experts recommend and I don't want to do that to #2.

But I'm getting absolutley no rye in this just sweetness. Let me guess. This is your urine sample for work.... I'll pay you for it.

As this is sitting I'm almost getting a MacCallen or Bowmore with a sweetness of a bourbon. See I like Dalmore and haven't had that in a while but it's a bourbon. What is it?

You have good taste buds. [emoji23]. I’ll join you.

I did happen to piss in #2 after drinking a half bottle of good old George T Stagg. This is a 2018 and a whopping 124.9 proof, but so smooth with the oak. 15+ year. The aroma is definitely sweet corn, vanilla, oak. Smooth and soft. No ice but a drop or two of water opens it up a bit. A very good pout.

IMG_0001.JPG

Number 1 is the Knob creek single barrel select called The Green Monstah. Just shy of 15 years and 120 proof. Definitely a stronger aroma over the GTS but still that classic sweetness and vanilla. The cinnamon comes out strong, classic for a Jim Beam product. This goes well with a cube. Still quite tasty, though I imagine it could peel the varnish off a table.

IMG_0001.JPG

Don’t forget to let me know what you think of that coffee. I experimented slightly. Still a safe zone but trying to blend a little.

Oh, and such a nice sunset out tonight.

IMG_3349.JPG

Any idea what they fermented with for each of the blend?

Nope but they are small enough that I bet if you call them they will tell you. Luckily, I can have my sister stop there on her trips over here from Philly. They have limited hours so it definitely makes it a challenge. I’ve enjoyed all of their beer so far.

Nah, you just burnt your nose hairs with the whiskey.
#2 healed the nostril hairs.

I know "age" is an odd description in American whiskey with blending. I like the blind tasting. My friend who's more about price rather than taste had some expensive Johnny Walker and I told him I don't like blended. He also had single malt Oban 21. Everyone was all over the JW. Im ok with Oban but find it a bit bland. However, I found the twang in the more expensive blue than the Oban. Plus the Oban was way better than the 15< I had before. Try the Dalmore Cigar malt. It has an added sweetness without smoke close to a bourbon. I'm curious have u ever tried Hillcrest out of NY? I've seen it lower it's priced but I've got tons of bottles I haven't opened yet. I love scotch but have swayed towards some good cognacs.

I enjoyed it! Pretty mild but it seemed like the roast ones built as I drank more. Going for round 2 in the morning.

Yeah, my coffees are typically mild and safe. That’s the way the wife likes it so I can old go outside the zone once in a while, usually Friday nights. [emoji23]

The color on this beer is really nice. Extremely tasty too.

IMG_0001.JPG

This was an infected bottle. There was gunk up by the cap and mega foamed. What are you favs?
I agree that ageing Orval is best. The first one i ever had was 2 years old(didnt even notice till after it was opened). I loved it. Then i bought one fresh and thought it was average at best. Since then i havent drank one at less than 2 years.

Also HB ESB
1559959560948~2.jpeg

I agree that ageing Orval is best. The first one i ever had was 2 years old(didnt even notice till after it was opened). I loved it. Then i bought one fresh and thought it was average at best. Since then i havent drank one at less than 2 years.

Also HB ESBView attachment 630205
I'd also open aged Orvals slowly. The carb gets high with age.

#2 healed the nostril hairs.

I know "age" is an odd description in American whiskey with blending. I like the blind tasting. My friend who's more about price rather than taste had some expensive Johnny Walker and I told him I don't like blended. He also had single malt Oban 21. Everyone was all over the JW. Im ok with Oban but find it a bit bland. However, I found the twang in the more expensive blue than the Oban. Plus the Oban was way better than the 15< I had before. Try the Dalmore Cigar malt. It has an added sweetness without smoke close to a bourbon. I'm curious have u ever tried Hillcrest out of NY? I've seen it lower it's priced but I've got tons of bottles I haven't opened yet. I love scotch but have swayed towards some good cognacs.

Age is used to identify the youngest bourbon in a blend or for single barrel, how long it sat in the barrel. 20 or less is good for me. I enjoyed the pappy 20 over the 23 for instance. Your buddy would likely appreciate the GTS. Definitely a harder bottle to get at retail and a bit pricey at secondary. So good though. My boss has some early 2000’s and they are unbelievable.

I don’t have a ton of experience with scotch or cognac. The ones that I’ve had were ok, but I honestly have no idea how good of a quality they were. I’ll kill a good bourbon anyway.

Nope, haven’t heard of hillcrest. Speaking of lower cost bottles, a fantastic one is Ancient Ancient Age 10 year. Really good for 90 proof and under $20. Don’t confuse it for Ancient Age though. You’d be disappointed then.

Is that an sl1200? Are you spinning?

Sure is. Relics from my past. Before kids anyway. My dad bought these for me in the late 90’s and I had to repay him by cleaning apartments at his building when he flipped them. I can’t say how many hours that I spent removing old wallpaper.

I’ve not used them much over the past 6 years but am feeling the itch. I connected with a neighbor recently that also has a set and it felt awesome to pull some wax out again.

Latest posts

Back