What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20190606_212309.jpeg
20190606_212754.jpeg

@jimyson Breaking in the new chiminea with some side action trade. Hot and humid and loosening up before the hockey gameView attachment 630037

It was the exact moment I found out what those things were that I fell in love with Carmel CA. Found an incredible bar in Carmel and then went to eat outdoors in chilly temps with one of those things humming next to us as we had an incredible meal.

Our neighbors put their's on the sidewalk, swiped it because we just moved in to our house...no money, no fire pit. Used it once, hooked! It developed a massive crack that ran all around, up and down. Anyways, new chimnea now...for two people, perfect!

I'll be moving to outside of Richmond at the 1st of the month. Gonna miss Europe for sure.

I’ll try to remember that you will be down there starting next month. I get down to RVA for a night every couple of months depending on my work travel needs.
Never been to Europe myself but I’m jealous.

IMHO you didnt miss much, but a $6 sink pour does suck
it's good people have different tastes. I'd actually put Orval at #3. It changes a lot as it ages. Around year 3-5 you get the horse blanket funk and it's a good funk. Around year 5 it gets wild but then gets really good. I currently have a bunch at 10+ years that seem to be past due. I'm gonna keep aging to see if it changes more. We'll see.

it's good people have different tastes. I'd actually put Orval at #3. It changes a lot as it ages. Around year 3-5 you get the horse blanket funk and it's a good funk. Around year 5 it gets wild but then gets really good. I currently have a bunch at 10+ years that seem to be past due. I'm gonna keep aging to see if it changes more. We'll see.
Agreed. I am pretty sure I shipped one, so maybe I'll let it sit a few and see what happens.

In my admittedly ignorance of the subject I'd have to say I enjoy Trappist more then Abbey. Only went down this experiment once before. Did brew a quad with both yeast and enjoyed the Trappist more. View attachment 630141
I am trying to bring a few of each on the plane with me. Figure they would be good trade bait

I am trying to bring a few of each on the plane with me. Figure they would be good trade bait
Westy is the best trade bait but alas has fallen victim to the Haze craze. I enjoy Bernardus a lot and see it on sale for ridiculous low prices because it's not the craze. I buy a bunch of them when I see crazy low price tags. It doesn't mature as much as Westy with age tho. I found Westy got a little wild in middle years aging as Bernardus mellowed smoothly.

One other tidbit about Bernardus that may make it trade bait for some. I believe every 1000 bottle has the monk winking. Google it. I don't know if its urban folklore or even a market for it but an oddity to say keep an eye on when looking at bottles

Edit:
https://m.facebook.com/St.Bernardus.beer/posts/591844410987694

And if I was looking for trade bait pick up some lambics like Cantillon or 3fonteinen

Westy is the best trade bait but alas has fallen victim to the Haze craze. I enjoy Bernardus a lot and see it on sale for ridiculous low prices because it's not the craze. I buy a bunch of them when I see crazy low price tags. It doesn't mature as much as Westy with age tho. I found Westy got a little wild in middle years aging as Bernardus mellowed smoothly.

One other tidbit about Bernardus that may make it trade bait for some. I believe every 1000 bottle has the monk winking. Google it. I don't know if its urban folklore or even a market for it but an oddity to say keep an eye on when looking at bottles

Edit:

And if I was looking for trade bait pick up some lambics like Cantillon or 3fonteinen

Yeah if you get either I will double his price [emoji6]

Edit:

I'll have to look into that.

I'm down to my last couple Westy 12's from a trip to Belgium back in 2014.

I remember 2 or 3 years ago doing a blind taste test with a Westy 12 and a Roch 10 that I picked up here. Preferred the Roch. But I drank a Westy a few months ago and it was freaking fantastic.

Latest posts

Back