What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Firestone Walker Solace.

Try this beer. It will surprise you. This hybrid unfiltered wheat/saison is quite flavorful and refreshing.

Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale.

I'm really enjoying the Japanese beers I have been able to locate.

I just finished one, and was searching HBT for info. My girlfriend went to Omaha and I found brewtopia not to far from where she was going to be. The had their inventory online, and I sent them an email, and had her pick some stuff up for me. Amongst the stuff was a mixed selection from Hitachino Nest. The Red Rice Ale was the first one I cracked.

It's interesting, not sure I would go out of my way to order it. But I'm glad I tried it, it's probably one of the most interesting beers I've tried.

I just finished one, and was searching HBT for info. My girlfriend went to Omaha and I found brewtopia not to far from where she was going to be. The had their inventory online, and I sent them an email, and had her pick some stuff up for me. Amongst the stuff was a mixed selection from Hitachino Nest. The Red Rice Ale was the first one I cracked.

It's interesting, not sure I would go out of my way to order it. But I'm glad I tried it, it's probably one of the most interesting beers I've tried.

If you can find them, Baird Brewing ( from Japan ) offers a large selection of quality brews. Favorites so far --- Jubilation Ale and Rising Sun Pale Ale.

I'm drinking a Oakshire Brewing "O'Dark :30 Cascadian Dark Ale"

I like the taste (mouthfeel) and its really smooth

IMG_0569.JPG

I'm drinking a Oakshire Brewing "O'Dark :30 Cascadian Dark Ale"

I like the taste (mouthfeel) and its really smooth

Unfortunate for me, but Oakshire doesn't make it this far south. :mad:
I would enjoy trying one of these if I could find one...

how does it compare to say, pitch black or hop in the dark?

Pitch Black is waaaay better BUT this is in the same "A" game ballpark. Never had hop in the dark yet. O'Dark :30 is only 70 IBU but it still has a nice hoppy taste

Coedo Beniaka Premium Lager.

This is a RED lager. A deep red lager. malty and very sweet --- it reminds me of a heroic mead ( specifically my heroic mead ) . Did I mention it was sweet?

The brewers held a picture of a hops plant in front of the fermenter and said.. "These are hops.." then walked away.

Kyodoshoji in Saitama, Japan. You have a fan.

Did I mention this was sweet?

I have so many food pairings going through my head right now...
This is a perfect contrast beer. Want to pair a Japanese beer with a sour/spicy dish? This is it.

if you are ever in San Jose, CA and have a Mr. Nobu roll at Sushi Boat--- this would be the beer to drink with it.

Purchased at Mitsuwa market. Right next to the Asahi Select and Kuronama. :)

Coedo Beniaka Premium Lager.

I have one of those in the fridge. I've had the Shiro, it's actually a wonderful, rich, Belgian-y treat. Quite a contrast to the infected Japanese micros I've tried (Isekadoya Stout and Hitachino Nest White, both wild yeast).

Baird Brewing
Red Rose Amber Ale

Well balanced with a strong malt backbone. Hops present themselves briefly, then a lager-like sweetness that slowly gives way to a dry hops bitterness... very refreshing.

Bottle notes read that this is brewed with an ale yeast at lager temperatures.
This tastes similar to their Rising Sun pale ale, but not as hops forward as the pale ale.
Similar recipes with different fermentation perhaps.

It's good. Something I may try to reproduce one of these days.

El Jefe Weizen Ale from Hales Ales

**** YEAH this is a good beer ! I mean thats my opinion but **** YEAH ! I just drummed up a partial mash recipe for a weizen just cuz of this beer !

Firestone DBA. It's weird. It seems to have the exact same off-flavor I had been getting in my own beers, kind of a woody/stemmy/phenolic thing.

Avery's - White Rascal. Cloudy, no head....tasty Belgian Wheat. From Boulder, Colorado. Something wispy (yeast) sank slowly to the bottom, I rousted it and got a head on it for under a minute (forgot to roust while pouring).

Before that I had a...

Weihenstephaner's - Original premium. Perfect head that stayed up (large bubbles) very clear, very very crisp and tasty. Got to keep SWMBO from seeing the rest of the six pack. Says, on the label...... "Since 1040" "The World's Oldest Brewery." I think they got it right.

Mission Street IPA, this stuff is actually pretty good!

Totally good. It's a Firestone Walker product. In the recent CYBI interview, Brynildson recommends you check the date before you buy because TJ's "isn't big on cold storage." (I may be slightly paraphrasing)

So far tonight I've had a Valley Decadence 6, Alesmith X, and BridgePort IPA. Nothing is quite hitting the spot, which is weird because normally BridgePort really does it for me.

Totally good. It's a Firestone Walker product. In the recent CYBI interview, Brynildson recommends you check the date before you buy because TJ's "isn't big on cold storage." (I may be slightly paraphrasing)

LOL, yep, that's why I purchased it. I never realized, until that interview, that it was actually a Firestone Walker product. I have to say at five bucks and some change for a six pack it is pretty good bargain for the quality of the beer. I noticed Trader Joe's is now carrying 22oz bombers of two new Mission Street beers, a hefeweizen and a brown ale. So, of course, I had to pick up one of each! :mug:

Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale....nice lasting brown head, very robust, but not overly hoppy. I just got half way through one bottle and am getting a buzz, ready to work in the yard.

Too early to start drinking, to late for the coolness of the morning.

EDIT: 10:58 AM Man his room dies off during the day...it's Sat, a little early, but I averaged only two beers a day last week, I'm closer to fifty than forty nine years old! C'mon!

Victory Prima from Pensylania? says, "Sole Location In Downtown, PA."

Head very dense and pretty much foamy, stayed up for over two minutes, clear, lots of hops but not too many for me. Daddy likey

But then again I like em all. Guess I should just start posting the ones I don't like...ta ta for now

I am almost the only one posting here anymore...Can't believe that that I am typing coherently. Previously posted.....that was the only two that I had before noon....

I had a couple good ones.....let me see if I can find the bottles......Firemans 4 and Abbey Belgian...plus a few (PBR and Sangria). Sangria is what I stayed with while the UFC was going on.....Watched a 21 year old drink down 4 glasses of BrandonO's graff...luckily he is only a few blocks away. I warned him after every refill.

All in all a great night, as long as everyone survived.

agreed on the good weather ! Drinking a homebrewed witbier and down two Chimay blues the SWMBO is liking them

New Castle clone, not exactly the same as usual....missing the the roasted after taste mostly. No Brew Master here, just a brewer! Still managed to get four down.

Wheat / Rye / Cherry IPA - first try at a fruit brew! It's pretty!

A little too much body for me actually, I would change the recipe next time for a little more base malt, less wheat. Still, really good.

mail

Put me down for another six pints of my New Castle Clone tonight. Need to switch gears and get the Nut Brown Ale done, bought everything just need to kick myself in the a$$ to get it in the primaries.

Sierra Nevada Porter: Better than I thought it would be. Nothing special but still real good.

and My "Screw Up" ESB (accidentally put a lb of Brown Sugar instead of 1Cup. Very molassesy but tasty.

I've been drinking a lot of this stuff to enlarge my collection of flip top bottles. It's actually cheaper for me to buy 4packs of Grolsch than buying empty flip top bottles at my local home brew shop. "Time to RANT" My local brew shop sells 500ml brown flip top bottles $3.59 EACH! I get the pretty green 500ml Grolsch bottles WITH GOOD BEER IN IT for $2.00 EACH.

lagunitas undercover investigation shut-down. not impressed with it to say the least. :( however the 2008 stone RIS i drank earlier was fantastic!!;)

I've been drinking a lot of this stuff to enlarge my collection of flip top bottles. It's actually cheaper for me to buy 4packs of Grolsch than buying empty flip top bottles at my local home brew shop. "Time to RANT" My local brew shop sells 500ml brown flip top bottles $3.59 EACH! I get the pretty green 500ml Grolsch bottles WITH GOOD BEER IN IT for $2.00 EACH.

Green bottles, just keep em in the dark, I don't blame you a bit.

lagunitas undercover investigation shut-down. not impressed with it to say the least. :( however the 2008 stone RIS i drank earlier was fantastic!!;)

Oh yes, Stone is the bomb!

Just had a Vanilla Ice cream Coke Float.....
Need a piece of cheese, and two slices of hard salami...
I will be pulling the New Castle Clone handle a few times this evening before bed.

Back