What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cullman, AL kölsch. Tasty but not as clear as I'd expect. I've seen some photos of this that were quite clear so maybe it's this batch?
IMG_20230328_175509.jpg

Last edited:
A lot of Kolsch recipes use wheat for head retention and a little mouthfeel. Looks like they might do that. I'm guessing maybe 10% wheat.
Some recipes do, but Kolsch yeast is a notoriously bad floccer, so it could just need more conditioning. A local brewery by me just released a Kolsch that was "cold conditioned at length", and it's still hazy. I was shocked, because all their lagers are brilliantly clear.

Today’s chug is a pint, er I mean 14.9 fluid ounce, 440 ml can. Wow, what the heck is going here, has squeeze-flation hit the beer industry? I’m enjoying the 16.9 oz/500 ml cans of everyone else’s beers, and I have to put up with this wimp-sized can? C’mon fellas, I’ll pay the 25 cents more for a regulation sized can. Plus you sell more beer.

This ale pours well, a solid 1 finger head, great lacing. Beer is surprisingly clean for a nut brown ale, great caramel note. Beautiful copper-brown color, quaffable and delicious. I noticed some similarities to a lager I’m familiar with, HB Dunkel, which was surprising because one is an ale, the other a lager. A bit different, but play the same role, if Bevmo is out of one, grab the other!

5.0% ABV, Samuel Smith gets thumbs up! Let’s get those cans up to regulation size please!
139B5F2C-8D77-43A9-B365-9A0CEDC6AC64.jpeg
F5D230E6-9293-46B0-9DE4-2B7A288588EC.jpeg

Today’s chug is a pint, er I mean 14.9 fluid ounce, 440 ml can. Wow, what the heck is going here, has squeeze-flation hit the beer industry? I’m enjoying the 16.9 oz/500 ml cans of everyone else’s beers, and I have to put up with this wimp-sized can? C’mon fellas, I’ll pay the 25 cents more for a regulation sized can. Plus you sell more beer.

This ale pours well, a solid 1 finger head, great lacing. Beer is surprisingly clean for a nut brown ale, great caramel note. Beautiful copper-brown color, quaffable and delicious. I noticed some similarities to a lager I’m familiar with, HB Dunkel, which was surprising because one is an ale, the other a lager. A bit different, but play the same role, if Bevmo is out of one, grab the other!
You really need to join the next FotHB...not only because your beers look delicious, but also because your critiques are almost J. Peterman catalog description quote worthy. :).

A lot of Kolsch recipes use wheat for head retention and a little mouthfeel. Looks like they might do that. I'm guessing maybe 10% wheat.
Yep. My next brew day I'll be brewing a Kolsch. Never brewed one before so I researched some recipes and decided on one that happens to have 4.8% wheat malt.

Some recipes do, but Kolsch yeast is a notoriously bad floccer, so it could just need more conditioning. A local brewery by me just released a Kolsch that was "cold conditioned at length", and it's still hazy. I was shocked, because all their lagers are brilliantly clear.

Tell me about it, brewed a Kolsch on March 3rd, has been cold crashing/lagering for almost 20 days now and is still hazy. Don't need gelatin very often, but going to have to use it on this one.

Back