What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had their Marzen, but word is that is their Marzen is a little lighter, sweeter and less smokey.

SP. Thank for the typo, I picked that up in the edit
Rauchbier is my favorite. I have one in the fermenter now, with both beechwood and alder. First time I'm making rauchbier followed by a closed transfer. I have high hopes.

Weihenstephaner Helles. Two at a time…!
0212723F-7517-4155-829D-C0F8252E4EE6.jpeg

GM, Just curious if you'd share the recipe and what do you think the outcome?
This is the recipe I used for the batch that’s on tap. I’m still dialing in my process for smaller (4 gallon) batches at the city house, so my efficiency was lower and my OG was .040 instead of the predicted .050. Over sparged and ended up with a little more 4.7% beer instead of a little less 5.9% beer.

It’s a fizzy, yellow beer, quite lager-like, with enough more flavor than generic, BMC type beers to make it interesting. Well, to me at least. :cool:
F7A203A6-0466-47B5-9C34-A4115B644BBA.png

This is the recipe I used for the batch that’s on tap. I’m still dialing in my process for smaller (4 gallon) batches at the city house, so my efficiency was lower and my OG was .040 instead of the predicted .050. Over sparged and ended up with a little more 4.7% beer instead of a little less 5.9% beer.

It’s a fizzy, yellow beer, quite lager-like, with enough more flavor than generic, BMC type beers to make it interesting. Well, to me at least. :cool:
View attachment 815507
Never tried that yeast but lagers are getting more appealing as I get older. One of my first ever brews was an ale version of Budweiser. It came out really good. Simple recipe, 4 or 5 ingredients tops.

Pain killers in the pill and 2 versions of the liquid kind. Nice to be in the HT for the first time in a year.

PXL_20230319_220847107.PORTRAIT.jpg

Rauchbier is my favorite. I have one in the fermenter now, with both beechwood and alder. First time I'm making rauchbier followed by a closed transfer. I have high hopes.

I've made smoked porters before but was disappointed - lack of smoke. This is my first Rauchbeir and I am impressed - this is what I expected smoked beer to taste like. I am looking up recipes now - beefwood and alder seem to be a good choice and cold smoking your own malt also appears to be a good alternative to some of the disappointing commercial smoked malts out there.

I've made smoked porters before but was disappointed - lack of smoke. This is my first Rauchbeir and I am impressed - this is what I expected smoked beer to taste like. I am looking up recipes now - beefwood and alder seem to be a good choice and cold smoking your own malt also appears to be a good alternative to some of the disappointing commercial smoked malts out there.
Be disappointed no longer!
Såinnhus
Pricey, especially when you get 10 pounds and factor in shipping, but worth it. Their Sainnhus malts (including German beechwood-smoked) tend to be pretty powerful in terms of smoke -- use at 10% of the grist or less -- while their other smoked malts are much milder (50% or more). Taste is amazing.

Be disappointed no longer!
Såinnhus
Pricey, especially when you get 10 pounds and factor in shipping, but worth it. Their Sainnhus malts (including German beechwood-smoked) tend to be pretty powerful in terms of smoke -- use at 10% of the grist or less -- while their other smoked malts are much milder (50% or more). Taste is amazing.
Or, if you just want a little, and don’t need the full selection:
Sugar Creek German Rauchmalz
(if they’ve got what you need, Great Fermentations is a pretty good online source for homebrew stuff.)

Posted this already 🤔 I think this was a @Thorrak
PXL_20230313_235146623.jpg

Sister-in-law got married last week - small, courthouse fun time (local red ale)
PXL_20230315_210349751.jpg

Sour at ASB
PXL_20230316_211054307.PORTRAIT.jpg

Still cider
PXL_20230317_223022204.jpg

Seeds are in the ground
PXL_20230318_190026449.jpg

Guinness for the "closest thing the Irish will have to Christmas" - Michael Scott
PXL_20230318_222539887.PORTRAIT.jpg

Mimosas until the wheels fall off
PXL_20230319_232140116.PORTRAIT.jpg

Posted this already 🤔 I think this was a @Thorrak
View attachment 815518

Sister-in-law got married last week - small, courthouse fun time (local red ale)
View attachment 815519

Sour at ASB
View attachment 815520

Still cider
View attachment 815521

Seeds are in the ground
View attachment 815522

Guinness for the "closest thing the Irish will have to Christmas" - Michael Scott
View attachment 815524

Mimosas until the wheels fall off
View attachment 815525
Now THAT looks like it might be one of mine. ;)

Well, I’ve got six of them to drink, so here we go.
Oh man, Mooseheads. It might still be the last independent and truly Canadian-owned full-size brewery left, but some batches can be skunky like 10 Coronas! Definitely a beer one must keep ice cold!

Last edited:
Never tried that yeast but lagers are getting more appealing as I get older. One of my first ever brews was an ale version of Budweiser. It came out really good. Simple recipe, 4 or 5 ingredients tops.

Pain killers in the pill and 2 versions of the liquid kind. Nice to be in the HT for the first time in a year.

View attachment 815509
I use 34/70 for almost all my lagers. It is even supposed to stay pretty clean at warmer temperatures. There’s a thread around here about that. I have a Pilsner plugging away with it right now. I usually don’t even do a diacetyl rest with it.

My ex brought over a few beers from her local brewery when she dropped by to greet the dog.

Wasn't a huge fan of this one, felt a bit bland to me.
20230317_165019.jpg

This one was nice, refreshing and quite crushable, would certainly get it again.
20230317_164950.jpg

This was a very tasty stout, balanced flavours and a very pleasing mouthfeel. As a sucker for darker beers I will certainly be getting this one again.
20230319_185420.jpg

I have had great success cold smoking my own malt. Totally worth it.

Latest posts

Back