What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The brewery is still open. They’re opening a beer garten next door.
0E554E2C-2B1E-423E-BC3F-A584C088A8B1.jpeg

HB Black IPA:
6867001C-301E-4FB5-B2DC-C3C47362C2FC.jpeg

Short pour just to see how it came out. It's ... interesting. Sabro and Lotus, 1:2 ratio. I was hoping for coconut and orange, but there's rather a bit of mint in there too. Not sure how I feel about that.

This is the first beer where I've done everything (more or less) right in terms of keeping oxygen out. I'm blown away, not just at how fresh the hops taste, but the malt as well. I'm going to have to revamp my process, big time, to do everything this way.

Today’s abuse comes in the form of a skunky German Pilsner, Berliner Geschichte, Since 1237. Beers that have been light struck develop a skunky smell and flavor. You will find this in a lot of beer in clear and green glass which provide no protection from UV rays. The reason it smells like skunk is an interaction with the hops and UV light, hence beers are stored in brown glass. The fact is it is skunk! The molecule is nearly identical to that which emanates from the South end of a real skunk!

A lot of Americans associate this skunkiness to German beer - green glass was an import feature and people just got used to it. While many breweries have switched over to brown glass, I’ve long felt the light brown glass simply isn’t up to the task of adequately filtering the light. I prefer darker glass like what you might find on a bottle of Ayinger. I prefer the 500ml cans from Euro brewers for this reason.

Otherwise, once you push past the skunk, this is a nice Pilsner, just the right malt/hop balance, medium carbonation, not much head and light glass lacing. An otherwise well balanced beer, send us some cans, otherwise a winner.
BD824DAD-779A-41AB-90F2-4DF2193CC307.jpeg

Today’s abuse comes in the form of a skunky German Pilsner, Berliner Geschichte, Since 1237.
Man, not sure I'd trust an 800yr old beer! 🤔....😂. I didn't realize that was the same molecule. Thanks for the lesson!

So 2pk of epoxy did nothing for this mystery leak. Maybe 2pk of Marine epoxy. It's not coming with us to Florida so who cares the looks.

PXL_20230226_235725127.MP.jpg

As promised, from @wetmk and the 12 Beers of Christmas 2022 Edition, here is the Saffron Triple. An amazing aroma, beautiful color, wife and I expected something medicinal because that sometimes happens with culinary herbs-NOPE! Tart, Saffron, lightly malty, clean and a slight fruitiness; just a fantastic beer.
IMG_4052.JPG

Back