What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck. That video is from member @Bassman2003 . I didn’t mess with the pressure cooker part of the video and just used a large blue speckled enamel stock pot I had. I wrapped it with a couple layers of Reflectix and used those little balls for insulation on top. It’s actually not too bad to drink straight when it’s done and I would describe the taste as Welch’s white grape juice. Another member I consulted with told me “If you get Stinky, putrid or vomit then something went wrong.”:p Mine finished with a pH of 3.5. I’ve been adding about 24-28 oz to a 5 gallon batch near the end of the boil. I think the exact amount depends on personal taste and a little bit of luck.
OT
@Section1 HB English mild.
View attachment 771433
A fifth of a gallon at the end of the boil?

That's an awful lot...

I'm assuming you're not using it in the mash? The math doesn't make sense, and my tap water is a whole lot softer than boiled Munich water.

First day not teaching/prepping for next year: working on Mom-in-Law’s condo. This will be the first of a few. MO/CTZ Session IPA.
42DB278F-2BFD-49A7-8EC0-53B28A43C5DF.jpeg

Let me know if u wanna trade. I see your Suarez 😁 I'd even love to be on your waiting list for HB. There's some stuff at Schillings brewery I hadn't seen before
In. But don’t overhype my homebrew. PM me and we can trade. I don’t even need to go to Suarez for funky now since they ship (and I may have a stockpile).

Good luck. That video is from member @Bassman2003 . I didn’t mess with the pressure cooker part of the video and just used a large blue speckled enamel stock pot I had. I wrapped it with a couple layers of Reflectix and used those little balls for insulation on top. It’s actually not too bad to drink straight when it’s done and I would describe the taste as Welch’s white grape juice. Another member I consulted with told me “If you get Stinky, putrid or vomit then something went wrong.”:p Mine finished with a pH of 3.5. I’ve been adding about 24-28 oz to a 5 gallon batch near the end of the boil. I think the exact amount depends on personal taste and a little bit of luck.
OT
@Section1 HB English mild.
View attachment 771433

The Germans are an onion of BS. You keep pulling back layers and there's more BS.

So how do they adjust their mash pH if they're using a fifth of a gallon of rotten beer to adjust for what half a ml of phosphoric easily does during the last 10min? Do I need to build a magic pixie dust reactor next? ;)

The Germans are an onion of BS. You keep pulling back layers and there's more BS.

So how do they adjust their mash pH if they're using a fifth of a gallon of rotten beer to adjust for what half a ml of phosphoric easily does during the last 10min? Do I need to build a magic pixie dust reactor next? ;)
If you read the comments at the end of the video on YouTube, he is adding up to one jar at the end of his boil right before flameout, mostly for the flavor contribution. He states he is using other methods for ph control in his mash.

He also told me when I asked about how much to use when I used some in a batch of Hefeweizen, he said, “I would say that depends upon how much of the flavor you like. It tends to be subtle, so a full jar would be fine. The per batch sauergut is not as strong as the living reactor approach, but it is more convenient. In a complex beer like a hefe, the flavor is welcome imho.”
@ThirstyPawsHB had some of my Hefeweizen that was made with that sauergut.

He also told me when I asked about how much to use when I used some in a batch of Hefeweizen, he said, “I would say that depends upon how much of the flavor you like. It tends to be subtle, so a full jar would be fine. The per batch sauergut is not as strong as the living reactor approach, but it is more convenient. In a complex beer like a hefe, the flavor is welcome imho.”
@ThirstyPawsHB had some of my Hefeweizen that was made with that sauergut.
Very much enjoyed!

Sampling my tropical pale ale. The first time I made this it smelled like pineapple. At the time I Kegged it this was the same but now that it has begun to carbonate it smells and tastes like grapefruit. Still could use a few more days to finish carbonating it will be a good one for the summer 4.3 ABV and 35 IBU made 2 kegs of this the second keg had a minor shift on one of the hop times, and was also just added to the fermenter right on top of the yeast from the first fermentation. The second should be 5.3% and 41 IBU. The second keg had some grassy notes after fermentation. We will see if throat is still present later, if it is I suspect it will be due to the hops remaining from the dry hop of the original batch. The only significant change from the first time I made this is the addition of a Jaded chiller allowing me to knock it down from boil to under 100 in about 5 minutes rather than 2 or 3 hours.
CC90D00C-45A2-4586-8373-4FB6517BDA88.jpeg

Last edited:
OT
I was going to ask how you guys were using this. I was thinking maybe it was something you would add to the mash in place of acid to lower the ph. And then I was wondering how you would know how much to use, etc.

I was going to ask how you guys were using this. I was thinking maybe it was something you would add to the mash in place of acid to lower the ph. And then I was wondering how you would know how much to use, etc.
You have to do some lab work kinda like wine makers do to determine the actual acid level if you want to use it in the mash. We can PM info so I don’t keep clogging up the beer pictures.

Back