What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KBS christmas.jpg

Really liking the coffee and chocolate subtleness in this one.
IMG_20130910_163207.jpg

That's how cute Crunch actually looks.

Mango Lassi Gose...hmmm. Not very salty, very big mango flavour..the lactose gives it a bit of creaminess. I'd probably buy this one again, very refreshing. :) Easy drinking as I wait for the boil, and the mighty Ale of Åsgard is going to start fermenting tonight! Glad I started early.

Bianca_Gose.jpg

Quick pit stop in Kittery on the way home from Sunday River
Picked up some cans View attachment 749018View attachment 749018
If you see their Cultivator pick it up. Their twist on a Doppelbock. It wasn't on their website but when I went up for MOTL there was a whole shelf of it. I wanted to pick some up when it first came out but never was able and it disappeared but looks like they still have more

Last edited:
I surpassed the first mash reading for this crazy giant brew. 1.080 for my brewing liquor...sparging with said liquor, and going for 1.130 after the second mash/boil. Wish me luck, fellow brew crazies!! This might be a big'n!

1.080_preboil_1st.jpg

Celebrating with another Sparklepuff!!

Sparklepuff2.jpg

Last edited:
Sorta, for 3 months, leaving end of December. I really like it here. Wife works seasonal jobs and I started working remotely about 4 years ago. Sold the house and hit the road. We've seen alot of the US but in reality we've just barely scratched the surface. So much to see and do. May sound simple but I like seeing the way the terrain slowly changes while traveling state to state. Especially from Midwest to west coast, just amazing.

That's a great story. Wife and I talked about that before having to take care of the grandkids. Looking forward to live through your HBT posts! 🍻

16369425736216795001268260775638.jpg

I would love to go back in time to compare this years to one maybe 10yrs ago for this reason. I have it so little i.e. once per year, its hard to compare. This year Im getting what I perceive to be a little more sweet crystal maltiness than years past. Could just be my stupid palate playing tricks on me though. Also - since these are fresh hops, which from my understanding are dried and sent direct to Sierra Nevada and used within about a week of picking, I imagine the year to year lot of hops changing has something to do with the supposed change as well. Although, from what Ive read the recipe has stayed "roughly" the same. I still like this years batch though.

For a mass produced commercial brewery, I appreciate Sierra Nevada in general. Last couple months, their Marzen was quite good IMO too.

Not just you. I was getting an extremely faint caramel character from it and kinda had a “Really? Huh” type of moment with it. But, this is also the first time I can recall having this too. IPA appreciation took awhile to develop for me. I didn’t start liking beer until I had a stout.

@buckinin @ThirstyPawsHB

Two simple ways to get a 2.5% beer. Your goal is to get an OG of 1030+/-.

1. Reduce your grain bill or run your standard grain bill and water it down until you got 1030. You'll have a sizable higher yield to manage, obviously.

2. Brew a regular recipe as-is, move the spent grain to the side, and proceed with your brew day. Reuse the spent grain for a second batch and adjust water level to hit the OG target.

In both cases, tone down the hops a bit. Also to avoid over bitterness, try to use hops with low AA percentages.

Some thoughts:

• A 2.5% beer is about as low as I enjoy. You still get the taste of beer, and I can have a second without concern. Also, I don't feel guilty having a beer whenever the hell I want.

• I find the best beers for low ABV are sours (I've taken them down to 0.5% with good results), saisons, wheats, browns and stouts. Brewing an enjoyable 2.5% stout is challenging and fun.

Good luck :)

@buckinin @ThirstyPawsHB oddly I was at a packy that had a grodzisk named Polish AF. It was 2.8%. made me think it wasn't stating low abv but thought and googled it's in the normal range for that style. It's a smoked wheat. Found this article on BYO. Normally noble hops. @Hoppy2bmerry is always sipping on her version of it.

https://byo.com/article/piwo-grodziskie/

Here's some recipes including other styles like stouts. I think there's some higher abv in here tho

https://wkpd.waw.pl/receptury-zwycieskich-piw-wkpd-2018/
https://wkpd.waw.pl/receptury-zwycieskich-piw/

Last edited:
@buckinin @ThirstyPawsHB oddly I was at a packy that had a grodzisk named Polish AF. It was 2.8%. made me think it wasn't stating low abv but thought and googled it's in the normal range for that style. It's a smoked wheat. Found this article on BYO. Normally noble hops. @Hoppy2bmerry is always sipping on her version of it.

https://byo.com/article/piwo-grodziskie/

Here's some recipes including other styles like stouts. I think there's some higher abv in here tho

https://wkpd.waw.pl/receptury-zwycieskich-piw-wkpd-2018/
https://wkpd.waw.pl/receptury-zwycieskich-piw/
Good find, I scoured all the Polish delis around here about a year ago and no Grodziskie. When I brew it I make it between 4.5 and 5 ABV. Lublin hops. I found a couple more Polish hops to play with for a Baltic Porter.

Good find, I scoured all the Polish delis around here about a year ago and no Grodziskie. When I brew it I make it between 4.5 and 5 ABV. Lublin hops. I found a couple more Polish hops to play with for a Baltic Porter.
View attachment 749068
There's non standard volumes in those recipes so I didn't bother doing the conversions. There is citra and mosaic in there. The link is a couple of years old too. There must be something similar for UK recipes. Back when having a drink during lunch was good to add calories before heading back into the fields.

The problem I have with calling something a session pils is that PILS IS ALREADY A SESSION BEER. It's like saying session mild or bitter...uuuuuhhhh. Otherwise, Prost!

I agree. Notch, where I go the glass, exclusively makes session beers, mostly Czech, but some German and categorized by color and strength, like they do over there. You kinda have to say as much in the US, whereas over there it would just be "beer".

Latest posts

Back