What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1632957736154.png

I've heard they add a small percentage of old soured beer to each new batch. Something like that anyway. I can't remember where I heard that so take it with a grain of salt. Anyway... I guess it's one of the reasons it's so hard to reproduce.
Might be late to this discussion, but I had read the same thing. So, when I’ve cloned Guinness, I pour one into a glass and let it sit at rt for a week or more and then add it before fermentation. Have no idea if this does anything or not, but I “feel” it does, and that’s what matters in the end.

Another beer from my golf trip to Indiana. Basically grew up in, and went to school in Bloomington (IU), but no brewpubs back in the day. When my mother passed away in 2018 I spent every other week in B’town for 4 months taking care of her affairs and spent a LOT of time at Upland. Best falafel I’ve had - and solid beers.
EBE179AF-E9E8-4CD6-BE4D-92C908646CEE.jpeg

Might be late to this discussion, but I had read the same thing. So, when I’ve cloned Guinness, I pour one into a glass and let it sit at rt for a week or more and then add it before fermentation. Have no idea if this does anything or not, but I “feel” it does, and that’s what matters in the end.
Interesting 🤔

It's kinda like adding actual pumpkin to a pumpkin ale. It may or may not contribute much, but it definitely feels like it just should be in there for authenticity sake. I'm glad I found someone that actually puts this to practice.

View attachment 744037
View attachment 744038
Wow, this one is crazy good. $20 for four.
Edit: has anyone tried this one? First time I've seen/heard of it.
I absolutely love this beer! Last year (or some time ago, can't remember as time seems to be weird living in a pandemic lol) I bought a 4 pack in my local craft beer store for $18! There were 5 4 packs in there at the time. Tried one and absolutely fell in love! I love bourbon flavor that accentuates the beer, but I don't like drinking beer and tasting nothing but bourbon. This one has that excellent balance and that bourbon is smooth as hell with zero bite!. about two months after I bought that 4 pack I noticed there were still 2 4packs left in the store and bought them both lol.

Would love to have tried the reg Curmudgeon Old Ale too, but Better Half is excellent.

Last edited:
Mystery Pils…

Was building the recipe on the fly while brewing. Entered final gravity, hit save and BeerSmith crashed.

What I remember…. Pilsner malt, Carapils. Magnum for bittering. Late additions of Hallertau M. and Mandarina Bavaria. 34/70. 5.3% Kegged 09/02

Attachments

• 2C594325-42B2-4299-A4D8-E16C6DFA7056.jpeg
    2C594325-42B2-4299-A4D8-E16C6DFA7056.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 6
Do you pasteurize before adding?

I'm not sure why, but every time I select the medium sized picture format, the forum software decides to flip it 90 degrees. I'm too dumb to figure out how to rotate it, so I've just decided that that's gonna be my thing. I'm okay with being the sideways beer guy.
If you do it on your phone, click edit. Then click the little frame thing at the bottom. That is the crop tool. Then you will see the rotate tool appear at the top. The square with the little arrow. Clicking that rotates the picture 90 degrees with each click.
BB24A500-2A2A-4058-A390-86A8867F8288.png

Very interested to hear the comments on the schwarzbier. I scored similar with mine this past spring. Got knocked for esters and too much roast
I got the scoresheets today. The biggest flaw in my Schwarzbier according to the 2 scoresheets seems to be an astringency issue. One judge commented "bitter chocolate" and "high hop bitterness". BeerSmith calculated my IBUs at 22.8, which is towards the low end for style. I added 1.5 oz of 3.7% Mittelfrueh at 60 min and 1.25 oz of the same at 20 min. 🤷‍♂️ Looks like I might have to play around with the grain bill and dark grain additions in my BIAB mash.

I'd like to get my hands on some of that to see what it tastes like.
I'm biased because I really do love nearly every beer that Schell's pumps out. The ones that I know I won't love, I dont generally try (fruited wheats, mostly), but man, they nail German ales and lagers. The small batch festbier is great (and brewed by my in laws across the street neighbor!) and completely different from their Oktoberfest marzen style lager. My wife is suuuuuper paranoid about me mailing beers around the country and getting blacklisted from UPS/fedex, but if you ever make it up into this northern end of the woods, that brewery is a must stop. Plus I have plenty of dodgy home-brew lying around.

Also, great label on that honey brown ale. It cracked me up, haha.

Back