What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was a bit of an experimental batch. I fermented under pressure and temps hit close to 80F. Straight out of the fermenter it seemed surprisingly clean. After a couple weeks in the keg, it’s almost too clean (as in lifeless) but with some fusels going on in the background. Just not a good beer.

Let it breath after pouring...

image.jpg

Hb raspberry hibiscus saison

I'm drinkin' bourbon, I'm drinkin' scotch, I'm drinkin' beer.
Not really. Just beer. HB. Tripel. The carbonation is coming along well. Got the basement at 71°F thanks to the dehumidifier kicking out heat in conjunction with sucking water out of the air. The carbonation is at the low end of my preference. It needs to age, technically, for about three months but it's fine right now. I'll have over 200, 16oz beers by the end of the month. Nice number.
View attachment 698006

Early for that butternut, no?

Are they, (Brick & Feather), like Singlecut using music references when naming their beers? Or is it just a coincidence in this case?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Absentia
I've wondered about it. In Abstentia was one of there first and my fav of theirs. The town they're in is just on the border of colleges in the western border of mass. So I'd assume artsy. The town is eclectic too. Use to be a run down mill town that has turned around a little and artsy. So I've noticed a lot of their themes are music & literature. Interesting as it's surrounded by rivers and hills. Here's a pic heading into town over a bridge towards the steeple. Deleted nice pix of the hills surrounding it

The biggest hop and barley farm supplier is close by too. They have a festival every year. I was going to do it before the vid. B&f also had some lagers I've never tried from them. Can't wait to try those
IMG_20200911_183212.jpg

Last edited:
First time growing them so I'd only be guessing. It looked like the correct color this time. The other one we picked a week ago was good but only 95% ripe though still fine to cook with.

The green line makes me think it is early. Then again only yesterday did I watch how do you know when it's harvest time, as I have two that are looking ready.

The green line makes me think it is early. Then again only yesterday did I watch how do you know when it's harvest time, as I have two that are looking ready.
That makes sense. I'll be less likely to pull the trigger too early on the next one. I'm just this side of clueless with the butternut squash.
I baked one then added milk, eggs, cornmeal, diced onion, salt and pepper and then cooked them like pancakes. It's probably something people already do but I just made up the recipe. Great with sour cream and butter.

Another beer tour. 3rd anniversary/annual Ocktoberfest. These guys make the best Lagers in Massachusetts. Hope they make it through this pandemic. Their Ocktoberfests are awesome and great people. Hour wait so after going into the cellar of the old Mill to pick up special bottled I enjoyed at home. Nice they continue funking up stuff. Their saisons are good too
IMG_20200912_142203.jpg
IMG_20200912_142439.jpg
IMG_20200912_142619.jpg
IMG_20200912_142625.jpg
IMG_20200912_152403.jpg
IMG_20200912_160000.jpg
IMG_20200912_155928.jpg

Last edited:
That makes sense. I'll be less likely to pull the trigger too early on the next one. I'm just this side of clueless with the butternut squash.
I baked one then added milk, eggs, cornmeal, diced onion, salt and pepper and then cooked them like pancakes. It's probably something people already do but I just made up the recipe. Great with sour cream and butter.

Yeah I'm not that knowledgeable about butternut squash myself. I just happened to watch a bunch of YouTube videos yesterday because I had two big ones as well. When they have those green lines running through them, it's too soon. If you can easily pierce it with a fingernail it's too soon. The telltale signs that I could find in the videos were that they are tan in color, that they had no green lines, that it was hard to pierce them with your nail but you could still do it, and you should see a little bit of browning where they're attached to the vine at the stalk. At least that was what all the videos demonstrated.

We'll see, I pulled two of mine yesterday. They fit all of the requirements except the browning at the stock, so I really should have just taken one, but I got a little trigger happy.

If you didn't know any better, this is a Saison with a couple fistfuls of hops; however, there isn't a hop bite. Also either the bitterness is not there or it's extremely well masked from the effects of a Belgium Saison yeast (?). Or maybe it's just the funk from the brett that gives it that Saison-like quality. I dunno, but it's going down easy!!
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200912134518872_COVER.jpg

Back