What are the differences among Flameout, Whirlpool and hopstand when adding hops after boiling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles_1111

Reaction score
When the boiling is finished, there are three terms explain different ways of adding hops: Flameout, Whirlpool and hopstand. What are the differences among them in terms of how to conduct and the purposes. Thank you very much. :)

Each of these techniques emphasize extracting hop flavors and aromas. Temperature of the wort during the process matters. Some amount of bitterness (estimated as IBUs) will be extracted.

With flameout hops, I add the hops just before I turn the heat source off and start chilling the wort immediately.

With a hop stand, the wort is chilled to a temperature in the recipe, the hops are added, the temperature is maintained for the recipe stated amount of time, then cool down continues.

I don't have the equipment to do whirlpool hop additions. I convert a whirlpool step into a hop stand.

Last edited:
Flameout & hopstand are just what was stated above. Whilrpool additions are essentially the same as hopstand additions, except without the prescribed time and temp of the hopstand direction.

For example, I don't have pumps or recirc after boil/chilling, so I do a "dumb" whirlpool by stirring with a paddle and letting the cold break accumulate in the cone for about 20 min before running off into my fermenter. When I specifically do "whirlpool" additions, it's just throwing hops in during chilling and while the batch is sitting for an unspecified time before running off into the fermenter.

Flameout additions are exactly as they sound, at the very end of the boil when you turn off your flame (or cut the power for electric) you add the hop addition. This will add the most bitterness (albeit not much) out of the words you're wondering about as the water will still be hot enough to isomerize the alpha acids in the hops.

Whirlpool additions are generally added at around 170F or so and allowed to "whirlpool" if you have the equipment. If not, you can stir it up occasionally as the hops sit. Generally the hops will sit between 15 - 30 minutes. The temp is lower here because the goal is to not isomerize alpha acids, but instead to leach out hop oils to add more flavor. Think, hop tea and no bitterness. You'll also see this step being called a hop steep.

For hop stand, I think it's going to depend on the context. Sometimes people use the term for adding hops at flame out and letting the hops sit, sometimes they use it the same as whirlpool. I don't think this term is as specific around the community so always look for more information when you see it in a recipe you're trying to follow.

People use the terms differently.

To me, flameout hops are added immediately as heat is cut, and the wort chilled immediately as a whole (as in either an immersion chiller or a recirced heatex or CFC).

Whirlpool hops are added shortly after heat is cut, while still barely sub-boil, and allowed to steep while the wort is spun and allowed to settle.

Hopstand hops are added after the wort has already been chilled to a specific temp (for me, usually 180F or lower, below the range where alpha acids isomerize or at least significantly isomerize) and held there for a length of time.

Now, while "whirlpool hops" means something specific to me, both "flameout" and "hop stand" could include the rotation of a physical whirlpool depending on your equipment configuration (if you recirc through an external chiller and whirlpool arm back into the kettle, or even just a pump/manual stirring in conjunction with an immersion chiller).

They will impact your wort differently.

Flameout hops and hopstand hops often add minimal bitterness (depending on how quickly it's chilled or what temp the hopstand is at) due to minimal or no time in isomerization ranges, but whirlpool hops can add significant bitterness as alphas continue to isomerize during a hot whirlpool

I configure hop schedules very differently depending on how I'm set up. I normally do whirlpool hops due to equipment concerns, and I typically add no late-boil hops, only bittering and then whirlpool (and perhaps at stages DURING whirlpool). If I'm able to chill the whole batch in the kettle, then I might use a combo of late boil, flameout, AND hopstand.

Again, that's how *I* use the terms. The language people use can change but the underlying processes and implications shouldn't change too much.

Back