Is there a difference in the formula for calculating titratable acid in wine and mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XdMegaD

Reaction score
Hi! I am fairly new to making mead, and the title reflects my question. I have read some articles about what TA is considered normal for mead, but none of them explained how to calculate it after titrating with a NaOH solution. I have seen a lot of formulas and methods to figure out the TA for wine. I have read that there could be differences in mead and wine in terms of the types of acids, and I am not sure if it makes that much of a difference that can change the formula.

First off, i know this will generate a discussion giving an answer, even though none has been given in 4 days... That being said: Unless you're making mead at the commercial level, you're overthinking it. Honey fermentation generates gluconic acid, and wine generates tartaric acid and a couple others. Gluconic acid is more detectable at higher pH, and since mead is usually pretty dry, not usually a factor. If you're thinking about all that, focus on pH.

Back