Maximum Different Hops During Boil Poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the Maximum different Hops that you use DURING the Boil?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oakbarn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the process of trying to auto order Hops in the BruControl software, This is a fun challenge for me and of course I could do it manually, but where is the fun in that? From BeerSmith, you can bring over 8 hops. This may not be a limit but the Node Red code (@RiverCityBrewer ) we have does bring over up to 8 different Hops. Once in BruControl, we have pre divided the Hops into 6 General Categories:

A shout out to @BrunDog for creating BruControl. Because of the way it is written, if you can think it, you can do it with BruControl.

1. Start of Boil
2. Bitter Hops During Boil
3. Flavor Hops During Boil
4. Amora Hops During Boil
5. Flame Out Hops
6. Hop Rocket

I am only trying to order those hops during the Boil.

Since there can be up to 8 Hops in any Order, you have 40,320 possible combinations.

I have successfully ordered up to 5 (only a 120 choices)

I am ordered within each Category so as long is there are five or less hops in a category (Bitter, Flavor, or Aroma), my code will do it.

Personally, we have never even used 5 different hops during a Boil. And when we have even 4 hops, they are normally not all a single category (Bitter, Flavor, or Aroma).
Right now, if there are greater than 5 hops in a category, BruControl just allows us to manually order the hops.

Do you have a super Hopped Recipe where YOU use more than five Bitter Hops or five Flavor Hops or five aroma Hops during the Boil Phase?

What are the Maximum number of Hops you use?

I am in the process of trying to auto order Hops in the BruControl software, This is a fun challenge for me and of course I could do it manually, but where is the fun in that? From BeerSmith, you can bring over 8 hops. This may not be a limit but the Node Red code (@RiverCityBrewer ) we have does bring over up to 8 different Hops. Once in BruControl, we have pre divided the Hops into 6 General Categories:

A shout out to @BrunDog for creating BruControl. Because of the way it is written, if you can think it, you can do it with BruControl.

1. Start of Boil
2. Bitter Hops During Boil
3. Flavor Hops During Boil
4. Amora Hops During Boil
5. Flame Out Hops
6. Hop Rocket

I am only trying to order those hops during the Boil.

Since there can be up to 8 Hops in any Order, you have 40,320 possible combinations.

I have successfully ordered up to 5 (only a 120 choices)

I am ordered within each Category so as long is there are five or less hops in a category (Bitter, Flavor, or Aroma), my code will do it.

Personally, we have never even used 5 different hops during a Boil. And when we have even 4 hops, they are normally not all a single category (Bitter, Flavor, or Aroma).
Right now, if there are greater than 5 hops in a category, BruControl just allows us to manually order the hops.

Do you have a super Hopped Recipe where YOU use more than five Bitter Hops or five Flavor Hops or five aroma Hops during the Boil Phase?

What are the Maximum number of Hops you use?
Opinions may differ but I recall hearing several of the “experts” on podcasts and articles say to avoid using more than 4 or 5 varieties. Their reasoning was that after that point the flavors begin to get muddled and indistinguishable and just detract from each other.

Interesting that the poll lets one make multiple selections. I have a maximum of 4 - 5. But I'd never let that be controlling if I was to find a recipe that called for more. Though if I liked it I might see what it's like with fewer different hops.

If some of the later additions have the same bittering ability of the early additions, then I'd think those later hops could also be used for early additions. Unless their cost is high and the earlier bittering hops cost is low.

I've always wondered how much of the flavor and aroma of those 60 minute hops comes through. Maybe it'd be interesting to just do some single hop beers with just 60 minute hops and see how the different hops taste when adjusted to give the same IBU's.

Certainly someone somewhere has already done similar and reported it haven't they?

Were your hop additions coming in out of order from NodeRed to BruControl? The hops should already be in (time) order coming from the beerxml file, and parsed in order as its sent to BruControl. The 8 hop limit in the NR flow is arbitrary and could be increased to whatever number is desired.

Were your hop additions coming in out of order from NodeRed to BruControl? The hops should already be in (time) order coming from the beerxml file, and parsed in order as its sent to BruControl. The 8 hop limit in the NR flow is arbitrary and could be increased to whatever number is desired.
I did not notice it came in order. That would make the grouping easier. But I do not think I would ever use more than 5 different Hops during the Boil. In fact, I think 4 is the maximum we have ever used.

Back