Weyermann Barke Pilsner - I made FIRE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s far from dismissal. It is what it is. I fully agree it was a large undertaking and cool as well. But at the end of the day it’s still ONE experiment, test, showcase, etc. It’s not revolutionary testing , it was beer brought to a homebrew club meeting. We do tests like this quite frequently at my clubs meetings as well.
Don’t forget these pils in this are made low oxygen as well, so if you don’t brew low oxygen it’s even more of moot point.

FWIW . I could care less what basemalt people chose. Just because it goes against my personal preferences doesn’t bother me a bit (99% of what I normally do is against nearly all groupthink). if everyone liked the same malts we would only have one maltster.
What I do get irked at is people using this N=1 as gospel, and preaching to the world about it (aka brulosphy group think). Not saying you did this, but just stating as I see this going that way.

Last edited:
@ba-brewer, I'm really liking something like that in a Helles, about 10% Barke Munich with the Barke Pilsner.

Here's one I just tapped that's 100% Barke Pilsner, just to see what's what. Easily my favorite Pilsner malt. Could fly solo in a Pilsner maybe. In a Helles, I'm liking the little sumpin sumpin.

[Please ignore ugly keezer. It keeps beer cold and lets it out, and it was a totally spontaneous, one day project.] View attachment 661228
So how do you like the 100% Barke Pils? I was planning on doing exactly that for my next Pils - thought Barke could hold its own in that style.

Shönrammer pils is 100% barke, don’t care for the hop regimen but if you have had that.

So how do you like the 100% Barke Pils? I was planning on doing exactly that for my next Pils - thought Barke could hold its own in that style.
It stands up on its own much better than any other Pilsner malt I've used. I will definitely do it again -- in a Pils, probably not again in a Helles. And the Barke might hold its own a bit too well if you're looking to get something austere and Jeverish. Need a wimpier malt for that Northern stuff. [emoji6]

Shönrammer pils is 100% barke

Have you got a reference for that?
Couldn't dig up anything in google.

Schönramer Pils is a magnificent beer. It's quite ironic that - after living in Hamburg for four years and drinking a lot of Northern German beers - I'd find my favorite Pils in Bavaria. (And no, it's nothing like a Helles; in fact it has a more assertive bitterness than most other German Pilsners I know).

Shönrammer pils is 100% barke

Schönramer Pils is a magnificent beer. It's quite ironic that - after living in Hamburg for four years and drinking a lot of Northern German beers - I'd find my favorite Pils in Bavaria. (And no, it's nothing like a Helles; in fact it has a more assertive bitterness than most other German Pilsners I know).

It stands up on its own much better than any other Pilsner malt I've used. I will definitely do it again -- in a Pils, probably not again in a Helles. And the Barke might hold its own a bit too well if you're looking to get something austere and Jeverish. Need a wimpier malt for that Northern stuff. [emoji6]

Ooh, challenge accepted for my Jever 3! Nothing wimpy about Northern Germans -- got a little viking blood maybe.

Thats funny I hate it, since its like an IPL. I much prefer bitburger or the like. The late whirlpool with like 5 varieties kills it for me. None the less.
Source: Eric the brewer.

I'd guess you don't like Victory Prima Pils then?
Prima is one of my all time favorite beers. My parents are currently vacationing out east and I already have my order in for 2 cases of it. Regardless as to how "true to style" it is, I would put it in my "one beer forever" category.

I have been using the Barke malts - Munich, Pilsner and Vienna - exclusively for my lagers for the past year or two. I am lucky that I can get it via my local brewery for less than $40 a sack.

Anyone notice milling differences with it? I have to expand the gap on my Monster Mill for the Barke Pilsner. Kernals seem to be bigger/plumper and it won't feed the way it does on other regular 2 row grains, etc.

How does it compare to floor malted Bohemian. Its my preference for lagers if i can get hold of it but really like to try the Barke.

Ever brew a beer and, upon the first sip, feel like this guy:

giphy.gif

Oh man, just tapped a german pils. For a longggg time, the perfect german pils was my "white whale". Getting the color, flavor, hop level, everything just right. I've come close in the past, and missed by a mile. But I'm sure I've got it now. I think I'm in heaven!

It's so good, with a slightly bready flavor. This pils is simply the Weyermann Barke Pilsner and a bit of melanoiden. I suppose the flavor could be from either one.

Anyway, just emailed my lhbs to get me two more bags of the Barke Pilsner. This just became my staple base grain for german pils, which I like to keep on tap at Casa de Pawn. I made 20g of this preparing for a party, but I think I better get brewing again haha.

In case anybody wonders, the recipe (OG = 1.047)

View attachment 652170
matter of fact, I have a lager finishing up right now that i used 10 lbs of that malt. a few others and a double shot of Hallertauer during the boil. been checking the gravity last couple days and tasting...its tasty.

Had to come back to this thread just to say I made a kolsch with the Barke. OMG. *swoon*

My wife says it's the best beer I've made yet. Has head retention all the way to the bottom of the glass. It's really helping me not care about social distancing because I'm not letting ANYONE near this beer.

Had to come back to this thread just to say I made a kolsch with the Barke. OMG. *swoon*

My wife says it's the best beer I've made yet. Has head retention all the way to the bottom of the glass. It's really helping me not care about social distancing because I'm not letting ANYONE near this beer.

dude, give up the recipe!

I just made a SMASH German Pils with Barke Pilsner and Mandarina Bavaria. I like it lot, but don't actually love the hops, would probably have been better off with just classic noble hops.
But the Barke Pilsner malt stood up well on its own as 100% of the grain bill (okay, minus a few percent for acid malt, but that's really just water treatment).

These are both SMaSH beers (Same Malt and Same Hops). Nearly identical beers except for the malt. As expected, the vienna malt is a little darker.
  • Left: Barke Pilsner Malt - OG=1.046, FG=1.009
  • RIght: Barke Vienna Malt - OG=1.052, FG=1.013
That Vienna malt delicious. In fact, I had a bunch of people at my house on Sunday. Many of them were the typical macro-brew drinkers. I think they all preferred the vienna lager. They have different flavors - I like both. I think I can taste some of the byproducts of the yeast fermentation in the Pilsner, but not in the Vienna lager. Difference in flavor could easily be some other difference than the malts. Anyway, 100% Barke Vienna is delish.
1590528767519.png

This thread inspired me to buy some barke malts awhile back. I also made a Vienna lager, but only used 92% and filled in the rest with Munich and a dash of melanoidan and pale chocolate for color assistance. Its a fantastic beer, but I decided the next time I would only use the Vienna, but still keep the pinch of chocolate. Glad to hear 100% is a big success!
I definitely find the pilsner does well enough on its own. Makes for simple recipes! In fact, there will be a pilsner smash down the road for me, using the barke malt and Calista hops

Very nice, PP! 🍻
Love the clarity. Is that just time, or did you give it a hand with a clarifier?

Cheers!

I do get very clear beers, quickly. I attribute the quick clearing to a combination of cold crash and gelatin finings. And careful transfer, of course.
  • Cold crash to 33F - Add gelatin next morning - let sit 3 days
  • Transfer to keg
  • Pictures are after 2 weeks of carbonating @ 12psi @ 35F (yesterday)

This thread inspired me to buy some barke malts awhile back. I also made a Vienna lager, but only used 92% and filled in the rest with Munich and a dash of melanoidan and pale chocolate for color assistance. Its a fantastic beer, but I decided the next time I would only use the Vienna, but still keep the pinch of chocolate. Glad to hear 100% is a big success!
I definitely find the pilsner does well enough on its own. Makes for simple recipes! In fact, there will be a pilsner smash down the road for me, using the barke malt and Calista hops

I just used saaz in these. They are simple beers, but in Florida they are great for summer quenchers.

Hey Andrew, you have inspired me to use the Barke Pilsner malt in a Check Pils that I am putting together to brew in the near future. I have used the Barke Pilsner before in other recipes that had other malts in with it, but never featured it as the star malt. Thanks for the info and for showing us the Vienna Lager also side by side. I really enjoy Vienna Lagers also. Great thread man!

John

Last edited:
Hey Andrew, you have inspired me to use the Barke Pilsner malt in a Check Pils that I am putting together to brew in the near future. I have used the Barke Pilsner before in other recipes that had other malts in with it, but never featured it as the star malt. Thanks for the info and for showing us the Vienna Lager also side by side. I really enjoy Vienna Lagers also. Great thread man!

John

Check in with Mike (Vetter). He'll get you situated.

@VetterBrew

Just be careful of the negatives it adds as well.

It's not to terribly hard to get commercial filtered quality, in the same time frame with no drawbacks.

dNgkwHQ.jpg

I'll see myself out, don't worry.
Honestly asking as I’ve not really heard there were many if any.... what are the potential negatives and what process, procedures, etc., lead to them?

Honestly asking as I’ve not really heard there were many if any.... what are the potential negatives and what process, procedures, etc., lead to them?
Namely oxygen ingress (oxidation), and horse hooves.

The only “results” are that this is a single data point. So in the scenario of a pilsner style beer made with only pils malt, these hops at this time, using this yeast at that temp, with this water on variance of batch to batch with this system best pils malt wins this time. N=1 is just that.

Brulosphy followers for instance need to really listen to this.

N=1 is definitely an issue with Brulosophy. But my major peeve with them is the way they word the conclusions is very misleading to readers who don't understand triangle testing and p values. So many conclusions say "...indicating participants in this xBmt were unable to reliably distinguish..." when the numbers suggest quite the opposite.

Namely oxygen ingress (oxidation), and horse hooves.
There are ways around the o2 ingress, but the horse hooves is my problem with it. I'm currently trying out Biofine. That beer is about the clearest beer I've ever seen, Bryan.

There are ways around the o2 ingress, but the horse hooves is my problem with it. I'm currently trying out Biofine. That beer is about the clearest beer I've ever seen, Bryan.

Note that gelatin is neither from horses (normally pigs/cows), nor hooves. Hooves make keratin, not gelatin. Gelatin is what you get when you boil the skin and bones.

I guess if you're vegan, or bound to reinheitsgebot, gelatin is out. I'm none of those :)

Note that gelatin is neither from horses (normally pigs/cows), nor hooves. Hooves make keratin, not gelatin. Gelatin is what you get when you boil the skin and bones.

I guess if you're vegan, or bound to reinheitsgebot, gelatin is out. I'm none of those :)
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Either way, I'm rockin' the biofine with floating dip tubes (floatie thingies).

N=1 is definitely an issue with Brulosophy. But my major peeve with them is the way they word the conclusions is very misleading to readers who don't understand triangle testing and p values. So many conclusions say "...indicating participants in this xBmt were unable to reliably distinguish..." when the numbers suggest quite the opposite.
What about their analytics is specifically objectionable to you exactly? I passed college level stats and don’t find their analysis generally incorrect?

Can you post a link to an example of where they made a conclusion you do not support based on the data as you state?

Last edited:

I’m with you-it seems to do the job I want without negatively effecting beer flavor.
It’s a question of a processed byproduct from animals vs a purified colloidal solution of silicic acid (Biofine) so pick your poison?

Latest posts

Back