American IPA West Coast IPA (loosely based on Russian River Blind Pig)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spittiz

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
1,5L with 148g DME
Batch Size (Gallons)
19L
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
10 EBC
I can't take too much credit here - this recipe is from the YouTube channel The Craft Beer Channel, where they "collaborated" with Russian River Brewing to make a west coast IPA. Video with their links in the description here.

I brewed this beer a month ago and I was really pleased with how it turned out - easily the best non-hazy IPA I've done so far.

I adjusted the malts slightly according to what I could get a hold of. Here's the recipe :

For 19L into the fermenter

Water profile target:

76Ca 15Mg 10Na 25HCO3 130SO4 50Cl
(I use RO water as base)

Malt
Weyermann Extra Pale Pilsner Malt 80%
Simpsons Best Pale Malt 16% (I used Crisp Floor Malted Maris Otter)
Light Munich Malt 4% (I used Crisp 22 EBC)

Mash schedule
Mash at 67C for 60 min
Mashout at 75C for 10 min

Boil
Boil time 60 min

Hop schedule
Boil

6g Chinook @60 min
4g Centennial @45min
7g Cascade @30min
13g Chinook @10min
11g Simcoe @10min
8g Cascade @10min
7g Centennial @10min

Hopstand
70g Simcoe @80C 20min
40g Amarillo @80C 20min (Cryo pellets in my case)
20g Cascade @80C 20 min

Dry hop 3-4 days before packaging
100g Simcoe
60g Amarillo (Cryo pellets in my case)
50g Centennial
40g Cascade

Other
Yeast nutrients
Protafloc
Clarity ferm fining agent

Fermentation
WLP001 yeast, starter

18C, 7 days
23C, 3 days (diac rest)
15C, 2 days (dry hop)
4C, 2 days (crash)

Aroma has clean floral notes and some fruitiness. Taste is floral, grapefruity, some ripe fruit and piney with a nice bitter finish. Here's the final product after 7 days on keg, I slightly overcarbed it at first, hence the thick head. This batch ended up at 6,0% abv.

IMG20220528211513.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great! I made the same recipe, save for a few minor tweaks to the grain bill & a little cryo & lupomax substitutions. Mine finished around 1.008. I always get high-end attenuation with wlp001. I got very little bitterness following the dry hop, but the aroma has recently fallen off a little & bitterness is coming through now. Its a very nice recipe.

Mine has been on tap for about 2 months now. Cheers!

C35C547F-DAC6-45B6-889D-76BFC59D4A82.jpeg

Looks great! I made the same recipe, save for a few minor tweaks to the grain bill & a little cryo & lupomax substitutions. Mine finished around 1.008. I always get high-end attenuation with wlp001. I got very little bitterness following the dry hop, but the aroma has recently fallen off a little & bitterness is coming through now. Its a very nice recipe.

Mine has been on tap for about 2 months now. Cheers!
That looks great! I'm most likely going to brew it again, and I'll try bump the bitterness a bit more, it comes through a descent amount in mine but could take it up a notch IMO.

Good timing. I just searched for a West Coat IPA hoping to brew one this weekend. I think I actually have everything but will substitute Imperial's West Coast IPA yeast.

If you end up brewing it, report back results!

I didn't get around to brewing this weekend but I did get the recipe into Brewfather. I target 7.5 gallons with 6.5 into the fermenter. In order to hit the target IBUs using default AA's for the hops its telling me that I need to use about 3x the hops in the boil list. Adjusting everything else for volume, its 1.4lb of hops!

I didn't get around to brewing this weekend but I did get the recipe into Brewfather. I target 7.5 gallons with 6.5 into the fermenter. In order to hit the target IBUs using default AA's for the hops its telling me that I need to use about 3x the hops in the boil list. Adjusting everything else for volume, its 1.4lb of hops!

I did use cryo Amarillo, which was 9,2% AA, but the rest was standard T90 pellets. Quickly calculated I guess the difference can come from that, we're not that far off if calculating g/liter or lbs/gallons of hops.

That is something I'm interested to test in the future, e.g. can you cut back on the big dry hop without making it noticeable worse.

Good timing. I just searched for a West Coat IPA hoping to brew one this weekend. I think I actually have everything but will substitute Imperial's West Coast IPA yeast.
What is imperials west coast ipa? I’m not familiar with that, Google wasn’t helpful either. Joystick perhaps?

What is imperials west coast ipa? I’m not familiar with that, Google wasn’t helpful either. Joystick perhaps?

I was thinking of A24 which a LHBS recommended for a west coast. Reading what Imperial says it sounds like maybe it would be a better NEIPA yeast. Still might just go for it.

I was thinking of A24 which a LHBS recommended for a west coast. Reading what Imperial says it sounds like maybe it would be a better NEIPA yeast. Still might just go for it.
Imperial A07 Flagship is an excellent all around yeast for West Coast IPA - ferments very fast and clean.

Back