Went to smack the pack and...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamsdealer

Reaction score
Found it partially frozen in the back of the fridge. Thawed it for a half hour and proceeded as normal. Think there's any viability? Normally I'd do a starter but this is only a 4% beer and all the local shops are closed to boot...

Worth a shot but kinda doubtful. Freezing kills yeast, mostly. If no signs by tomorrow id hit shop for more yeast.

Just did it about an hour ago and nothing yet. Chilling my beer now. I have dry yeast on hand but was looking for something different than the typical American ale yeast I brew with.

There was some liquid in there, I'd say about half frozen. It got pushed to the back of my fridge. First surprise I've had in a long time... typically my brew days go very smoothly and I rarely do any prep ahead of time. This time I got caught.

Just did it about an hour ago and nothing yet. Chilling my beer now. I have dry yeast on hand but was looking for something different than the typical American ale yeast I brew with.

There was some liquid in there, I'd say about half frozen. It got pushed to the back of my fridge. First surprise I've had in a long time... typically my brew days go very smoothly and I rarely do any prep ahead of time. This time I got caught.

I'd imagine there's still live yeast in there. I frozen lots of bread dough and compressed bread yeast before with no problems. You have probably hurt some of the viability of the package no doubt. If it were me, I'd take some of your wort aside and make a starter for the smack pack. Pitch the dry yeast into the remaining wort. Save the yeast from the starter in your fridge and use it on the next brew day....

Wyeast says that freezing causes 10% cell death. I know because I froze a starter and same as you came here asking what to do. I used the starter after unfreezing successfully, you will be ok

ps have to appreciate peoples eagerness to help here, but beware they very often give advice speaking completely out of their ass with no idea what they're talking about

Back