My $15 pint of beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got charged some virtue-signaling fees
If they're virtue signaling, they should try to do a better job of it. Pissing people off is generally not an effective way of convincing them of the virtue of anything. Just raise the prices and pay the employees better (like you said). Put a note on the menu that says "our prices are higher than our competition because we pay our employees well; the only thing we will add to your check is sales tax; tipping is completely optional; feel free to leave a little something extra if you think your service was exceptional, but please don't fee obligated."

The compulsory tipping is kind of stupid, too. I would just put "service included" on the menu and bill.

Funny story, or maybe not: a foreigner in Miami Beach ran a Thai joint, and he added a service charge for black customers only. He had no idea it was illegal. Got in some hot water. Makes you wonder what they do in his country. I believe he was Japanese.

Pissing people off is generally not an effective way of convincing them of the virtue of anything.
My guess is there are people who view it as a noble thing.

Trying to hide/bury it I think would be even worse. Whether one thinks it's completely BS or maybe a good thing, at least in the open you have a choice to stay and pay it or leave before ordering anything.

If they don't have that tack on stuff posted they should. A local joint in town started adding $1 on the tab for credit card, comes off if paying cash. The policy is posted right up front as you come in.

Last edited:
I've never seen a 4% credit card fee in my life.
I see signs every day saying if you pay by credit card, there will be a 4% upcharge. They do charge those fees. Only place I've seen them are restaurants and other food service places, but they are all over the place, and here in Texas they have to divulge it with written signs, but EVERY prepared food business here has those signs up and charges that fee.

Reminds me of going into an car audio/alarm shop in Dallas in 1992 that didn't have any prices on their merchandise. I worked in the restaurant industry for 30 years and deceptive business practices used by dishonest owners, without posting all "fees" customers should anticipate will result in another empty building as consumers control the power. Take your money somewhere else!

Latest posts

Back