well....i'm sad...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so i went to the feed store today, and my 99 cent twelver is a thing of the past i guess.....price for barley went from $13 a sack, to $21...what a hike....so now a twelve pack is going to cost me $1.25 or so :(

seems like the powers that be are attacking my habit recently.

so i went to the feed store today, and my 99 cent twelver is a thing of the past i guess.....price for barley went from $13 a sack, to $21...what a hike....so now a twelve pack is going to cost me $1.25 or so :(

seems like the powers that be are attacking my habit recently.

A 62% increase in grain prices only made a 25% increase in beer price? That's not too bad!

A 62% increase in grain prices only made a 25% increase in beer price? That's not too bad!

pretty much....i use 20lbs a 10gallon batch, it takes 23lbs whole barley to get 20lbs malt out of it....

so the price of malt basically went from ~30 cents to 48 cents a lb....

at any rate my inital estimate the price of a 10 gallon batch, which is 8.88888 twelvers, is going to go up from ~8 to about ~11.....i think i did the math right????

edit: i guess the other stuff it takes to make beer, makes a difference too....

thanks, i can probably save the 99 cent twelver....i could make more hefeweizens, with white flour in the mash! THANKS for the tip! :mug:

Last edited:
How much does it cost in Mexico?

well this feed store ain't the only game in town....i could shop around. but then i'd be looking at gas cost to drive to them, this one is right down the road.

i had a good run! R.I.P. 99 cent twelve pack. kinda like the jack in the box 2 tacos thing....i remember when i was a kid they were 99 cents each, and only went on SALE for the two for, then it became the norm...now there still JUST 1.59 for two, so whatever...

pretty much....i use 20lbs a 10gallon batch, it takes 23lbs whole barley to get 20lbs malt out of it....

so the price of malt basically went from ~30 cents to 48 cents a lb....

at any rate my inital estimate the price of a 10 gallon batch, which is 8.88888 twelvers, is going to go up from ~8 to about ~11.....i think i did the math right????

edit: i guess the other stuff it takes to make beer, makes a difference too....

thanks, i can probably save the 99 cent twelver....i could make more hefeweizens, with white flour in the mash! THANKS for the tip! :mug:

So barley @ 42 cents/lb, malt at 48.3 cents/lb x 20 lbs = $9.66/10 gallons

$9.66/8.89 twelvers = $1.09/ twelve. Still pretty good!

Now to amortize the cost of your fancy milk dealy thing :D

Just change the amounts so people have no idea how much it's actually measuring.

$1.09/144oz = 12 cents/pint!

Start talking about you 12 cent pints and it will be cool again :D

you know the price of my ywelve packs went up 25 cents...and if i choose to be depresed about it, that's my prerogative! ;) :mug:

@marc1 I think I might've already complemented your avatar, but I feel the need to tell you that I still like it.

Good ol' Trogdor, burninating all the people in their thatched roof cottages. And the Trogdor comes in the night.

Barley in North America has had the $hit kicked out of it for 3 years now. If it isn't drought, it's violent weather that lays it on the ground. I would not blame any farmer who decided to not keep growing it.

I have a feeling someone that malts his own grain may be looking into small scale farming

i doubt barley would like 10 gallons a week, and 1/2 acre of gravel.....but now that i think about it, it would be so cool if they made a personal combine that hooked up to a lawn tractor!!! :mug:

I get it. You've been able to keep brewing to <$1.00 a 12-pack until now. Kind of like the dollar stores now charging $1.25. Doesn't seem like much, but it's a broken milestone.

:mug:

Back