Hi guys, first time brewing, making a mead!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 338612

Reaction score
Hello to all,
Thought I should say hi since I just joined, I got the bug a week or two ago so I did some research and went to the local brew shop (Aussie)
since then I also did a little online shop, and then someone locally had a bunch of brew equipment going cheap, so I suddenly have a whole bunch of brew stuff!
Anyway, I got 15l of mead on the go currently. Recipe so far is:
4kg of store bought homogenized honey (had a very distinct honey funk like I remember from when I was a kid)
400g jar of much better honey that had a vanilla bean in it when I bought it (smelled like an expensive chocolate bar, I almost wanted to keep some but it all went in!)
10l of spring water direct from the store bought container to the fermenter
(all fruit sanitized and cut with a sanitized knife)
1 Navel orange (cut into quarters and squeezed in before throwing them in as is)
1 Honey Belle pair (turned out to be hard as a rock with not much juice, but I cut it into small chunks and threw it in anyway for the name)
2 x Panama passionfruits (found the wrinkliest ones, they smelled awesome)
That was my initial recipe but I also added a 240g jar of bee pollen I got online from a semi local apiary, I hear it feeds the yeast pretty well and imparts honey flavours etc.

After that, I added about half a packet of yeast nutrient and then pitched some 1118 yeast I got from the brew shop, but I basically dry pitched into a small cup of the mash for a few minutes and then dumped it all in. Didn't get much movement over the first couple of days so in the end I did a proper pitch with some mango jack's mead yeast which had about the same ABV potential, but this time did a real pitch in boiled water cooled down, pitched and waited for a nice foam and then temp corrected and poured in. After that we seem to have a fair bit more activity but the airlock refuses to move, I assume I just have a leak somewhere though because the mead has a very nice krausen which I have been stirring in daily and degassing. I'll probably stop doing that soon though because it's fizzing away nicely and I don't want to introduce o2 after a certain point, but the cap is drying out so I feel for now that stirring it back in daily will stop anything bad growing on it and keep the yeast attacking the proteins etc. I know it's fermenting from the foam and degassing alone, so I'm not too worried about the airlock for now because it's a purpose built brew vessel so my guess is the airlock bung has a pinhole leak.

Anyway, we're at day 3 after the re-pitch and I checked on it today, still no airlock activity but another krausen had built up and when I stirred it back in it fizzed up again.

I might just leave it to do what it's going to do for a week or two now and take a SG reading when I think it might be on the way to done. (started at about 13% potential ABV but that didn't count the fruit bits)

I'm thinking what I have added will add some subtle citrus and sour notes, but only hints since it's all in the primary, I plan to put it in 3 x 5L carboys and add something else for the final flavouring, so I can give a couple of mates the option to add their favorite fruits etc. and run through secondary since the yeast is good for about 18% and it should ferment dry in the primary with more headroom to go. I figure they can probably get a pretty tasty brew by just putting in more sugar than it can handle and let it go until it's done, then rack a couple of times to get rid of sediment etc and bottle. We might try to keep one bottle of each for aging and open for a special occasion.

Anyway, let me know if I'm doing anything wrong haha, I think I've read enough forum posts and watched enough videos to have a pretty good idea of the fundamentals though, sanitize everything and watch for mold etc. So far though it's only been a nice brown crust forming from the foam coming out, and a ripe fruit smell but so far I don't think rotten or anything, just ripe which I assume is fermentation taking effect.

I might post a pic or two if I remember to take them when I'm doing stuff.

Welcome to the madness @MetalMonkey42 . For your 1st mead (Melomel because you added fruit) you have embarked on a challenge. You are gonna have to be patient with this. I have no idea what the finished product will taste like but at the very least it's gonna be interesting. If you intend for it to finish dry, it is gonna take a while. Your yeast will consume all the sugars from the honeys and the fruits. That is gonna take time, months. You can sample it after a few weeks to evaluate its progress but don't be discouraged if you are not happy with the taste. Give it time, lots of time. It will get better as it ages.

Good luck and Cheers.

Welcome, I jumped into Mead nearly 10 years ago. First batch was just honey purchased from a grocer, water from my tap and D47 Yeast from a local brew shop.

You are definately ahead of where I was. Your on the right track with still a lot to learn.

Enjoy the journey!

Back