Welcome Beginning Brewers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hops? Without further information we will have no clue whether it will be okay. And what is a sift?

I believe he means a sifter. If thats the case I would pass on the sifter and try either cold crashing or giving the beer more time in the fermenter. Many of those particles will fall out of suspension if given time and cool temps.

Also look up adding gelatin or “gelatin fining”. That stuff works quite well in most cases.

Agreed that it probably hop debris (hopefully).
And I've used tons of fining agents over the years and usually use more than one for each batch.... I'm finding my favorite to be sparkolloid.
I have having some issues with my normal fining of a batch of skeeter pee and the sparkolloid really did the job in short order.

I definitely also agree about NOT straining it.... Bad time to be adding tons of oxygen.

Hey everyone, I'm new to this homebrew business but love it and love craft beer. Right now I've got a one gallon batch of an IPA I've made with a Mr. Beer kit, and I've got a five gallon batch of a double IPA. The kit is mostly a Midwest Supplies kit (two five gallon buckets, one w/ spigot), but I say mostly because I've gone out and purchased a five gallon carboy for second stage fermentation. I bought a brewers best ingredient kit for the five gallon double IPA batch. I've answered a lot of my own questions via google searches, but I'll still ask a couple on here: My one gallon batch was seemingly showing lots of fermentation the first day or so (lots of "foam" building up at the top of the "beer"), but it has since lost almost any sign of that foam. It that normal? It calls for fourteen days to ferment, the add a packet of hop pellets for dry hopping, then let it ferment for another x amount of days. I say x amount of days because I'm too glued to my couch to go see the instructions, but I know there's several more days at least of fermenting after adding the hop pellets. Another question is what is really gained by taking my beer out of my primary fermenter (five gallon bucket) and putting into into a secondary fermenter (carboy) and letting it continue to ferment in that carboy versus just having left it in the bucket? I was able to filter out some sediment, but there was no dry hopping element or anything so I wasn't sure what good it even does. I'm not doubting it does do some good, I just don't know what good that is. Lastly, this double IPA batch doesn't require nearly as long to ferment (if you chose not to do the secondary fermentation option that the directions mentioned, but didn't require) as the small batch IPA that I am brewing. Why is that?

Welcome Mas140. You don't have to transfer to secondary, it's okay to dry hop in primary.
Three weeks is not too long to ferment. I use it as a general guideline. Keep studying and practicing, it will all become clear, including the beer. Have fun, keep us posted.

I too would skip the secondary and dry hop in the primary. Your fermentation could finish as quickly as 3 day or take 7-10 days. I would dry hop at day 10 and let that go for 5-7 days. Be as careful as possible not to introduce any oxygen to your IPA. IPAs and other hoppy beers oxidize easily.

The differences that you are seeing in the instructions is just because there are no "right" timelines. A little difference doesn't really affect the beer. As you progress and learn you will develop your own procedure that may or may not conform to any instructions.

Lastly, this double IPA batch doesn't require nearly as long to ferment (if you chose not to do the secondary fermentation option that the directions mentioned, but didn't require) as the small batch IPA that I am brewing. Why is that?

There might be a misunderstanding. I imagine the intent was to give the option of skipping secondary, but leave it in the primary for that additional time. As stated above, the fermentation time isn't set in stone anyway. The last few days are for letting the yeast eat the very last of the fermentables (probably one or two gravity points) and clean up off flavors. And if you bottle, it's to make sure it's finished. Continued fermentation of residual sugar (in addition to the priming sugar) could cause bottle bombs. Lots of bottlers check gravity 2 - 3 days before bottling and again on bottling day to make sure gravity is stable.

Just brewed my first beer this past weekend, Hazy IPA, and it's fermenting right now. I was unreasonably excited when I noticed the CO2 bubbles in the Econo-Lock! I had a more experienced homebrew friend come over afterwards and we went through my recipe and he was surprised the only time I added hops was at flame-out and now plan to do a dry hop at 7-day at time of secondary fermentation. Anyone have thoughts on difference of adding hops during the boil v. flame-out/dry-hop?

Just brewed my first beer this past weekend, Hazy IPA, and it's fermenting right now. I was unreasonably excited when I noticed the CO2 bubbles in the Econo-Lock! I had a more experienced homebrew friend come over afterwards and we went through my recipe and he was surprised the only time I added hops was at flame-out and now plan to do a dry hop at 7-day at time of secondary fermentation. Anyone have thoughts on difference of adding hops during the boil v. flame-out/dry-hop?

That is unusual- but many recipes do have flame out hops and you do get some bitterness from them (but not alot). If you let us know the actual recipe (like did you have pre-hopped extract, or how many ounces of hops you added at flameout), we can give you more advice.

That is unusual- but many recipes do have flame out hops and you do get some bitterness from them (but not alot). If you let us know the actual recipe (like did you have pre-hopped extract, or how many ounces of hops you added at flameout), we can give you more advice.

I put in 2 ounces of citra and 2 ounces of mosaic at flameout and the dry-hop includes 2 more ounces of both citra and mosaic with 4 ounces of galaxy.

Im sure I am beating a dead horse here, but, having a hard time finding an acronym list. I found the spelling, no luck with acronyms. Any help, or a link would be of great help. Thanks

Im sure I am beating a dead horse here, but, having a hard time finding an acronym list. I found the spelling, no luck with acronyms. Any help, or a link would be of great help. Thanks

Seems like there used to be a wiki with a pretty extensive list of acronyms. I cant seem to locate it though. Heres another list you can check out http://brewery.org/infobase/Acronyms.html

Ok .I'm completely ignorant and just starting to read about this and I was wondering if any of the Kits are a good deal or not in your opinion. I was looking at Northern Brewers $199 package mostly for the Carboys, Capper, Siphon etc.... Is this a good deal or is there something else that might be better to get my feet wet so to speak.
Thanks!

Ok .I'm completely ignorant and just starting to read about this and I was wondering if any of the Kits are a good deal or not in your opinion. I was looking at Northern Brewers $199 package mostly for the Carboys, Capper, Siphon etc.... Is this a good deal or is there something else that might be better to get my feet wet so to speak.
Thanks!
I would personally check craigslist or even the for sale part of this forum... You can usually find better deals and items on the secondary market...

I put in 2 ounces of citra and 2 ounces of mosaic at flameout and the dry-hop includes 2 more ounces of both citra and mosaic with 4 ounces of galaxy.
That is a lot of dry hops. The lack of hops in the beginning of the boil is going to give your beer a lack of any bitterness what-so-ever. The flameout hops don't seem bad. The amount of dry hops is going to give you esentially an aroma bomb. It may be overpowering and is definitely not "balanced" but you may enjoy 8 ounces of dry hops. I usually used no more than 3 ounces of dry hops per 5 gallons. Actually u will get a good amount of hop aroma with just one ounce.

Last edited:
That is a lot of dry hops. The lack of hops t the beginning of the boil is going to give your beer a lack of any bitterness what-so-ever. The flameout hops don't seem bad. The amount of dry hops is going to give you esentially an aroma bomb. It may be overpowering and is definitely not "balanced" but you may enjoy it. I usually used no more than 3 ounces of dry hops per 5 gallons. Actually u will get a good amount of hop aroma with just one ounce.

I just bottled this weekend and tried some. You definitely get a strong aroma, but it is not overpowering. The taste is good with a lot of flavor and zero bitterness. The recipe explained the purpose of this, so next IPA I do I may do a couple ounces less of dry hop and at least a small amount for a full boil to get some of the bitterness.

I just bottled this weekend and tried some. You definitely get a strong aroma, but it is not overpowering. The taste is good with a lot of flavor and zero bitterness. The recipe explained the purpose of this, so next IPA I do I may do a couple ounces less of dry hop and at least a small amount for a full boil to get some of the bitterness.
I think that sounds like a solid plan to get you into the ipa style arena. The thing to be careful of with that much dry hops is oxidation. You are gonna want to drink those beers fresh and not age them any.

Thanks!

Hi Sheera, welcome!
Used equipment can be cheap, though I worry a little about used plastics that may not have been well cared for. Probably the cheapest way to start is a small simple kit like MrBeer. Many brewers start with it, though most move on to something else if they continue brewing. Other brewers start with a more advanced kit, some very advanced. There are also kits on Amazon, where you can read the reviews. I never "bought" glass bottles, I got them from the local beer distributor for the 5c deposit. Craigslist is a good source for carboys if you don't mind glass. However you start, study and practice will improve your brewing. Have fun, keep us posted.

Yeah the plan is too drink them sooner rather than later.
I think that sounds like a solid plan to get you into the ipa style arena. The thing to be careful of with that much dry hops is oxidation. You are gonna want to drink those beers fresh and not age them any.

That's the plan! Definitely nowhere near ready to age beers, but probably doing a porter next so may try a bottle or two aged.

I am getting some secondhand brewing equipment today (glass carboy and it looks spotless) and it comes with a barons redwood kit. I've never made beer before, but I've been reading a little bit about it.

Looks like this kit comes with warrior hops for dry hopping. I like grapefruit taste in beer. Can I replace this with Cascade instead? How much is too much hops? My favorite beer is an 8% 87ibu dipa with strong grapefruit flavor. I know this won't be the same, but I'll be happy with drinkable beer for a first try. This kit says it's around 22ibu, so if I add too much hops then will it be unbalanced because it's not bitter enough to offset the strong taste?

Is it possible to raise the alcohol level by using less liquid? All I have is a 25L carboy. Do I need to fill it all the way to the top to stop oxidation, or can I fill it less? Should I add corn sugar instead? How do I do that? I think I read something about boiling it first, but I'm not sure.

Maybe I should just follow the kit instead of trying to change things on a first try? I do really want some grapefruit, though.

How do I know if yeast is expired? I'm not sure how old the kit is. Should I just get new yeast anyway? What kind?

Do I use tap water, or is boiled or bottled water better to keep germs out?

Is there anything I should be asking that I'm not asking?

Last edited:
I am getting some secondhand brewing equipment today (glass carboy and it looks spotless) and it comes with a barons redwood kit. I've never made beer before, but I've been reading a little bit about it.

Looks like this kit comes with warrior hops for dry hopping. I like grapefruit taste in beer. Can I replace this with Cascade instead? How much is too much hops? My favorite beer is an 8% 87ibu dipa with strong grapefruit flavor. I know this won't be the same, but I'll be happy with drinkable beer for a first try. This kit says it's around 22ibu, so if I add too much hops then will it be unbalanced because it's not bitter enough to offset the strong taste?

Is it possible to raise the alcohol level by using less liquid? All I have is a 25L carboy. Do I need to fill it all the way to the top to stop oxidation, or can I fill it less? Should I add corn sugar instead? How do I do that? I think I read something about boiling it first, but I'm not sure.

Maybe I should just follow the kit instead of trying to change things on a first try? I do really want some grapefruit, though.

How do I know if yeast is expired? I'm not sure how old the kit is. Should I just get new yeast anyway? What kind?

Do I use tap water, or is boiled or bottled water better to keep germs out?

Is there anything I should be asking that I'm not asking?
You can try using a brewing software like BeerSmith to develop and store your recipes. Having a beer in mind will help you with setting up your parameters like gravity, color, and hop ibus. The general theory is that the early hop additions (60minutes) add bitterness and the later hops (15minutes) add flavor while the late additions (0minutes and dry hop) add aroma. There is no specific limit to the amount but 6-8 ounces total should be plenty for a 5 gallon IIPA. Im not familiar with the redwood kit but it may need to be changed up for ipa style. Generally speaking ipa malts are all 2-row pale malt and then a small addition of crystal malt. Like 0.5 to 1 lbs of crystal for 5 gallons. Then ferment with a clean ale yeast like wlp001 or us-05. Tap water is fine but use a campden tab to get rid of the chlorine first. It will taste through into the final beer. Cheers[emoji482]

You can try using a brewing software like BeerSmith to develop and store your recipes. Having a beer in mind will help you with setting up your parameters like gravity, color, and hop ibus. The general theory is that the early hop additions (60minutes) add bitterness and the later hops (15minutes) add flavor while the late additions (0minutes and dry hop) add aroma. There is no specific limit to the amount but 6-8 ounces total should be plenty for a 5 gallon IIPA. Im not familiar with the redwood kit but it may need to be changed up for ipa style. Generally speaking ipa malts are all 2-row pale malt and then a small addition of crystal malt. Like 0.5 to 1 lbs of crystal for 5 gallons. Then ferment with a clean ale yeast like wlp001 or us-05. Tap water is fine but use a campden tab to get rid of the chlorine first. It will taste through into the final beer. Cheers[emoji482]
Thanks for the reply.

The website says the kit is supposed to be a copper cream ale. 2 row pilsen malt and crystal. I think it's preboiled, so it's just an add yeast and dry hops kit. I haven't seen it in person yet. My husband picked it up today and is stuck in traffic.

I'll do some research. I guess there's nothing stopping me from boiling additional hops in water and adding it, if I wanted more bitter.

I have a well, so no issue with chlorine.

Thanks for the reply.

The website says the kit is supposed to be a copper cream ale. 2 row pilsen malt and crystal. I think it's preboiled, so it's just an add yeast and dry hops kit. I haven't seen it in person yet. My husband picked it up today and is stuck in traffic.

I'll do some research. I guess there's nothing stopping me from boiling additional hops in water and adding it, if I wanted more bitter.

I have a well, so no issue with chlorine.
Most begining brew kits involve dissolving the liquid malt extract and a mini-mash of "specialty grains" then a boil with hop additions followed by cooling and topping off with sanitize (boiled) water. So no harm in trying it that way.

So... The yeast in the kit expired 3 years ago. I'm guessing the liquid bag is probably expired as well, even though I can't find any other best before dates on anything. That's what I get for buying second hand, I guess. Equipment looks fine. Should I get new yeast and hops and risk using the extract liquid, or does it also go bad after a while?

Hello Erica, welcome. The dry yeast may be okay, even long expired. If the extract is liquid, it probably has changed some, and the hops probably have lost bitterness and aroma. You could brew this as is just for practice, I wouldn't throw any more money into the recipe kit. You could also purchase another kit that will give you the beer you want. There are plenty of good extract kits out there, you might even find one on sale. Brewing, like everything else, improves with study and practice. The temptation to modify kits or create your own recipes is strong, but I recommend working on process first. Learn the methods and ingredients, brew some proven recipes, then branch out on your own.
Good luck, have fun, keep us posted.

The yeast in the kit expired 3 years ago. I'm guessing the liquid bag is probably expired as well, even though I can't find any other best before dates on anything.

I would be concerned about the expired yeast. It might be marginally ok, but if it isn't, fermentation would be real slow or non-existent. That might give nasties a chance to get a foothold. You could get a bacterial infection that would be very hard to get rid of, maybe compromising some of your equipment. The extract and hops are way past their prime also. If it was me, I would get a new kit. I apologize for the negative input, but I had an infection once and really hated it. It haunted me through multiple batches while I worked on correcting it. I finally replaced the fermenter and some other plastics. Again, I apologize for the negative input.

So... The yeast in the kit expired 3 years ago. I'm guessing the liquid bag is probably expired as well, even though I can't find any other best before dates on anything. That's what I get for buying second hand, I guess. Equipment looks fine. Should I get new yeast and hops and risk using the extract liquid, or does it also go bad after a while?
I like to keep some dry yeast on hand anyways. It's cheap, stores very well, and is good in a pinch or for bottling older beers.

My very first beer was just that. My first beer. There's a big learning curve to overcome initially. Thats why our mantra is don't worry relax have a home brew (DWRHAHB). All you need to think about is making a beer that is safe. Making good beer that you like will come in time but it takes practice.[emoji6]

I would be concerned about the expired yeast. It might be marginally ok, but if it isn't, fermentation would be real slow or non-existent. That might give nasties a chance to get a foothold. You could get a bacterial infection that would be very hard to get rid of, maybe compromising some of your equipment. The extract and hops are way past their prime also. If it was me, I would get a new kit. I apologize for the negative input, but I had an infection once and really hated it. It haunted me through multiple batches while I worked on correcting it. I finally replaced the fermenter and some other plastics. Again, I apologize for the negative input.

Thanks for your reply. This is actually what I wanted to hear. It's not negative input if it prevents infection. That sounds positive to me.

I didn't know that slow yeast might result in infection. I also didn't know that infection can stay in equipment, so thanks for the info.

The only reason I would use the old kit is because I don't want to be wasteful, but it would be more wasteful to spend time and new yeast on something that will not turn out anyway. I also would prefer something that I'm going to enjoy the results of, because I've never done this before and don't want to get discouraged on a first try. If there are problems, it's better to know that it's because of my process and not just because the kit was old.

I originally wanted to make wine with this equipment, but when it came with a beer kit, I got interested in beer. I see that beer works better at lower fermentation temps than wine and this will be going in my basement in winter, which is heated, but not super warm, so I think I will still try beer first.

Another question. I have windows in the basement, so there is some dim natural light, but not direct sunlight. Is this an issue? Should I put a blanket around the carboy to keep light out and heat in? I knit and could make a cover for it that fits, while leaving the airlock exposed, if this would be a good thing.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. This is actually what I wanted to hear. It's not negative input if it prevents infection. That sounds positive to me.

I didn't know that slow yeast might result in infection. I also didn't know that infection can stay in equipment, so thanks for the info.

So...you've started the journey. If it's not fun, you're not doing it right, so enjoy.

My son, who is a microbiologist and also a homebrewer, says virtually all homebrews are "infected." What he means is it's impossible to keep at least a little dust out of your wort, and dust carries bacteria, ergo..."infected." Given this is the case, the way to battle that is to get the yeast to outcompete whatever nasties may have fallen into your wort post-boil. This is why @ncbrewer is concerned about the expired yeast.

The only reason I would use the old kit is because I don't want to be wasteful, but it would be more wasteful to spend time and new yeast on something that will not turn out anyway. I also would prefer something that I'm going to enjoy the results of, because I've never done this before and don't want to get discouraged on a first try. If there are problems, it's better to know that it's because of my process and not just because the kit was old.

It's good not to be wasteful but also as you've concluded good to not waste your time or your process with poor equipment.

Here's a suggestion that if you can do it will ramp up your learning curve a lot: do you know anyone who homebrews who would let you watch a brew day? Or who would walk you through a brew day? Brewing isn't rocket science, but with all the moving parts, arcane language, etc. there's a learning curve. When I started I watched a friend do a brew day, and it allowed me to make sense of much of what I read. It's a fabulous way to accelerate the learning curve. Also, is there a local homebrew group? If so, same thing.

I originally wanted to make wine with this equipment, but when it came with a beer kit, I got interested in beer. I see that beer works better at lower fermentation temps than wine and this will be going in my basement in winter, which is heated, but not super warm, so I think I will still try beer first.

Most homebrewers will tell you that fermentation temperature control is THE single biggest leap forward they made in brewing. If, for example, I'm using Fermentis dry yeast S-05--a very common yeast used in brewing--after pitching the yeast (love that language--pitch means dump the yeast in the wort in the fermenter), I will typically maintain temps at 65 degrees. But that's not the temp of the area in which the fermenter sits, it's the temp of the actual fermenting wort. Yeast is exothermic so the temp of the fermenting wort can be 5-10 degrees higher than the ambient temperature.

Why this matters is when yeast ferments at too high a temperature, it can produce off-flavors. Fermentis says the recommended range for that yeast is 64-82 degrees, but I wouldn't go that high.

If the temp of the basement is 60 degrees, that might be just perfect; if it's 70 or higher, that would be higher than I'd prefer. To get around that I'd use a "swamp cooler" which means simply putting the fermenter in a turkey pan with about 2" of water in it, drape an old t-shirt over the fermenter with the shirt hanging down in the water so it wicks the water up into the shirt and as it evaporates, cools the fermenter. My basement is 65 degrees ambient; doing that offset the yeast temp rise about 5 degrees, so it was perfect for me.

But you'll want to know the recommended temp range for the specific yeast you're using, and go from that. The packet will tell you that.

swampcooler.jpg

Another question. I have windows in the basement, so there is some dim natural light, but not direct sunlight. Is this an issue? Should I put a blanket around the carboy to keep light out and heat in? I knit and could make a cover for it that fits, while leaving the airlock exposed, if this would be a good thing.

Yes, some way of keeping light from getting to the fermenter would be good. If it's very dim, probably not much of a problem, but I always try to keep the light away. Sunlight especially will react with hop compounds in the wort to create what's called a "light struck" beer, resulting in skunky smell and flavor. I used a big cardboard box over mine, also the dark t-shirt used with the swamp cooler solved that problem.

Good luck! And don't forget to enjoy.

PS: I hate glass carboys. There's a thread on here somewhere showing the results of people breaking them. The injuries some have sustained are not pretty. To me, the only value to them is if you're doing a long, long-term aging of a beer, as glass is oxygen impermeable over that time frame. They're slippery, heavy, hard to clean through that narrow neck, you have to use a siphon to get the beer out, which I hate, and potentially dangerous.

Much better are some of the newer plastic fermenters, especially when they have a spigot. Light as a feather, big opening through which you can stick your arm to clean (soft cloths only, I use paper towel, you don't want to scratch them as the scratches then can harbor biological nasties).

The fermonster is a 7-gallon fermenter (good to have that headspace for krausen that's formed) which is the one I'd get if I were doing it over again. Light, big opening, has a spigot--even if I got a glass carboy for free, I'd sell it and buy the fermonster (or, alternatively, the bigmouth bubbler from northern brewer, which are the plastic fermenters I have).

https://www.morebeer.com/products/fermonster-carboy-7-gal-spigot.html

One more idea: I know when people start brewing they don't know if they're going to like it or not, thus they focus on saving money on equipment in case they quit doing it. Been there, I get it. But if you're at all inclined to up your game a bit, which coincidentally can make it more enjoyable, consider purchasing this kit from Morebeer:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/premium-home-brewing-kit.html

It comes with everything you need to begin brewing except bottles and a heat source. If I bought that, I'd ask Morebeer to upgrade the kettle to 10 gallons so later it would be possible to do all-grain brewing using the simple Brew-in-a-Bag (BIAB) approach.

I had well in excess of $400 in my beginner's kit, then later I saw this one and was stunned. It has a kettle. An immersion chiller. (!) Hydrometer. Spoon. Star-San sanitizer (!). Cleaning tabs. And, an extract kit so you don't even have to source your first recipe.

Anyway, again, good luck and enjoy!

Last edited:
Hi @EricaM, welcome to HBT!
You've gotten some knowledgeable advice already, and you may have noticed there are different takes and opinions. That's very normal in homebrewing world. Ingredients are one thing, then there's process. We may do brewing things slightly different too, with equal (but different) outcome. Even you may change (small) things to fit your situation. Adapting is good.

There are a few rules in brewing we (mostly) agree on, clean equipment and sanitation are the main ones. Clean first, rinse well, sanitize right before use. I can recommend using Starsan as it is one of the easiests to use. Preparing a gallon of the working solution is plenty for most applications, and can be stored for a long time, weeks even months.

Do you have a local homebrew store (LHBS) nearby or do you need to mail order?
Do you have a kettle or a very large pot?

The old yeast may or may not be OK. It would be good to get a new (fresh) pouch of yeast, or a few if you want to keep brewing. Dry yeast sachets store best in the freezer, unopened. Take one out on brew day and let it come to room temp, it only takes an hour or less.
I'm guessing the liquid bag is probably expired as well,
It may or may not. If it was in the same kit as the yeast, it won't be at its prime.
I agree, we hate wasting things, so this may well be a test batch, it's free and you learn a lot with little at stake, except some investment of time.

Do you have instructions with the kit?

If home brewing is your future, read about it, this site has tons of information. If I may plug a book it's John Palmer's How to Brew, 4th Ed. There's an old online edition as well, to get you started.

Forgot to say, there are ways to check a yeast's condition, her viability, even grow more of it, but it's a more advanced process. Not because it's difficult, but for the sanitation practices involved.

Erica, IMO, you should toss that old stuff and get new ingredients. Malt extract, especially liquid malt extract, can go bad over time. It may be the number one source of an off-flavor in extract-produced beer called "extract twang."

There's never a downside to using fresh ingredients. If your beer doesn't turn out the way you expect, and you used iffy ingredients, how do you tell if it's a process error, or the ingredients that are at fault? You can't, which means you have halted the learning curve while you figure it out. I hate that.

I've taught people how to brew, and my main goal was to get them a great-tasting beer the first time, so they could not only understand why we do this, but have confidence in the process.

Don't use old ingredients.

There was mention of a swam cooler. I use this, and it works pretty well. It takes some looking after if you need to add frozen ice jugs to keep it cool. Once the active fermentation is finished, it's easier because you can let the temperature rise some. I've read about an insulated bag called Cool Brewing that apparently doesn't take as much baby sitting. You put frozen ice jugs inside it with the fermenter, and it doesn't heat up much.

I very much like the plastic fermenter idea for safety reasons. But you probably don't want a spigot if you're using a swamp cooler. I use a 7.9 gallon bucket - the carrying handle is really handy, especially for setting it into the swamp cooler. And larger bucket has, so far, prevented any blow-off.

... toss that old stuff and get new ingredients. Malt extract, especially liquid malt extract, can go bad over time. It may be the number one source of an off-flavor in extract-produced beer called "extract twang."

There's never a downside to using fresh ingredients. If your beer doesn't turn out the way you expect, and you used iffy ingredients, how do you tell if it's a process error, or the ingredients that are at fault? You can't, which means you have halted the learning curve while you figure it out. ...

Don't use old ingredients.

Agreed.

Hello everyone I am not sure if I am asking this question in the right thread or not. So today I just brewed my very 1st batch of beer. I grain brewed it. Well I messed up, at least I think so. So here is what I did wrong.
I planned on brewing 2 gallons of beer.
1. I placed all my grains in a pot to steep for 1 hour. My starting temp was 166 and ended around 155. I started with 2 gallons plus 4 cups water. I removed the grain. I did not measure the amount of wort after steeping it. Mistake #1.
2. I started my boil but I noticed I was loosing a lot of water to evaporation. So I did not account for my evaporation loss correctly. Mistake 2.
3. I added water after the boil to make my amount of wort 2 gallons. Mistake 3?
So in everyone opinion will this come out ok?
Thanks in advance for your responses.

Newbie to Hombrewtalk.com. Could anyone please tell me how to start a thread or make a post on iphone? On top right I click the ellipsis and am directed to “my threads” of which there are none. There is no option to make one either.

Latest posts

Back