Weak Beer - Just Put into Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishhead202

Reaction score
This is my first run at this. I'm trying an Irish Red.

Quick Question - Beer was weak, like watered down. Any causes I should watch for on the next attempt?

Longer History:
It was bought a while back as a kit, just now getting it going. I got it into the primary about 2.5 weeks ago. The directions I had were terrible, so I did the best I could. My fear is that I didn't pound the grains up enough. I took an intro class at the local homebrew, and they never talked about crushing the grains, but I see online, that other do. So everything basically went fine otherwise during the boiling/bucketing.

Just put it into the secondary last night, and I tasted the beer that I used for the hydrometer reading. Wasn't worried about being flat or alcohol content obviously, but was curious, so tried it, and tasted really weak/watered down. Are there any immediate red flag issues that may cause this?

Newbie here, and still digging through the forum. Appreciate any advice.

It would help out if you can give us some more details about the kit you used and how you brewed it.

Were the grains that you're talking about steeping grains or something else?

Did the kit also have some extract? How much?

What was your boil volume?

Sure, let me see if I can flush out more details. It was this kit from Midwest.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/irish-red-ale-kit.html

I boiled 3gallons.
I put the grains in, brought to 180 I believe. Took them out, then brought to a boil.
Added the extract, and first hops. Boiled for an hour.
Put in second hops for last 5 min.
Cooled and bucketed.

I think that's about it?

I also realize that my SG readings are messed up somewhere. I'd written starting at 1.09, and now at 1.19. That's.......wrong :/

It was bubbling consistently, so I'm assuming there's some alcohol in there somewhere :ban:

It would help out if you can give us some more details about the kit you used and how you brewed it.

Were the grains that you're talking about steeping grains or something else?

Did the kit also have some extract? How much?

What was your boil volume?

Sure, let me see if I can flush out more details. It was this kit from Midwest.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/irish-red-ale-kit.html

I boiled 3gallons.
I put the grains in, brought to 180 I believe. Took them out, then brought to a boil.
Added the extract, and first hops. Boiled for an hour.
Put in second hops for last 5 min.
Cooled and bucketed.

I think that's about it?

I also realize that my SG readings are messed up somewhere. I'd written starting at 1.09, and now at 1.19. That's.......wrong :/

It was bubbling consistently, so I'm assuming there's some alcohol in there somewhere :ban:

Hello, you brewed an extract kit, the grains are for flavor, the extract is the main body of your beer.

Most every beer you make will be watery in primary/secondary fermenters, it will become much better with time and after bottling.

After bottling it, wait at least 3 weeks minimum before you try 1, also when you put it in the fridge, leave it in the fridge for 3 days before opening it, this allows enough time for the co2 in the headspace to completely get into the beer.

Save a six pack or 3 or all of it, for at least 2 months and you will be shocked at how much better your beer is than at 3 weeks.

On your next batch, I would steep your grains somewhere around 154 deg for 20 min.

Hope this helps.

Congratz and Welcome to the Obsession !

Cheers :mug:

Thank You! Good to know that it'll fill out some more.

I'm hoping to skip the bottling and just do a keg. Seems easier/cleaner/better all around.

Thanks for the welcome. Lots to learn!

Thank You! Good to know that it'll fill out some more.

I'm hoping to skip the bottling and just do a keg. Seems easier/cleaner/better all around.

Thanks for the welcome. Lots to learn!

Are you set up for kegging and dispensing? There's lots of equipment (and cost) involved if you're not already there.

Steeping grain temps ought to be in the 155-165*F range. It works just fine to run the temp up to 165 with the grains in the sack, turn off the heat, cover and let it sit 30 min. You're basically making a sort of tea for flavor/color/body and other character.

I've got a pony tank from my SCUBA days, and a buddy is lending a keg. The big remaining cost seems to be the regulator. I don't mind dropping $100 for what seems to be the way everyone ends up anyways.

I'm patrolling craigslist for a fridge. That's the big piece I'm missing, unless I'm missing something I didn't know I was missing :)

Are you set up for kegging and dispensing? There's lots of equipment (and cost) involved if you're not already there.

Steeping grain temps ought to be in the 155-165*F range. It works just fine to run the temp up to 165 with the grains in the sack, turn off the heat, cover and let it sit 30 min. You're basically making a sort of tea for flavor/color/body and other character.

I've got a pony tank from my SCUBA days, and a buddy is lending a keg. The big remaining cost seems to be the regulator. I don't mind dropping $100 for what seems to be the way everyone ends up anyways.

I'm patrolling craigslist for a fridge. That's the big piece I'm missing, unless I'm missing something I didn't know I was missing :)

Hello, depending on the setup u want it can get very expensive, you need a tap, shutoff valve, hoses, connectors, and if you want to do more than 1 keg at a time, I thought it wouldn't cost much ether lol, well I have over $1000 into a keggerator that I refurbished with a 3 tap tower and new co2 system.

And if u only have 1 keg, its going to be a long down time each batch.

Cheers :mug:

One possibility on the "weak beer" issue is that the yeast might have been old. How long ago is "a while back"?

WileE: Appreciate the advice. I had budgeted about $350. I'm actually picking up the fridge tonight off craigslist, and have a guy I can get a keg (or 1-3) from for $60 each. Getting the CO2 tank inspected is $25. Spent about $100 on the regulator and hoses. I'm going to be going through a wall for the taps, so for now, it'll just be that cheap plastic guy, but that's fine. It's a bit more than I'd hoped, but the wife seems OK with it so far :) (I actually sold some stuff from an old hobby to fund this, so that's helped temper any wiferage)

DkevinB: I actually picked up new yeast because I'd assumed it was dead :)

the thinness you describe is just the lack of carbonation. people often don't realize how important it is to body and mouthfeel

Getting the CO2 tank inspected is $25.
My local gas supply accepted an outdated (over 10 years) 5lb tank as a swap for a full one - no testing fee - total <$20. Might save you a buck or two (and some SWMBO explanations) if that's available in your area.

Swung by the homebrew shop today. Apparently scuba tanks have entirely different valves. So that was a no-go. Ah well.

Back