Water profile for a Kolsch All grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G2sat2576

Reaction score
Capture.PNG

Hello all, Im new to water adjustment and I recently had a RO system installed and sent a sample to Ward labs for analysis. I've been playing around with Bru'n water and this is what I've come up with. How does the PH and water adjustments looks for a Kolsch beer. From what I've read, the PH should be between 5.2 and 5.3. Also, should similar mineral additions be added to the sparge water? I see the spreadsheet puts them at nearly the same. Thanks for any help.

That would work. I don't know about those programs ,I use the charts in the Water Book. 2565 is my house yeast(Lutra is making it a head to head race) and my RO salt additions are .5 g CaSO4, .5 g CaCl2, .25 g NaCl , .25 g MgSO4, per gal of brewing liquor, with 4 oz of acidulated malt per 8 lbs grist. This gives me ~ 73 ppm Ca. I do a fair amount of BIAB full volume using 7.5 gal of strike liquor. When using my 3 vessel system I don't treat the RO sparge liquor and put that liquors salts in the boil.

Ph looks good . As long as your inputting your grains and have your water amount right your good to go. I use that same program and its great imo. The PH is always on or very close .

Magnesium chloride is difficult to find and I'm finding that you can't rely on it being pure unless you're buying from a chemical supply house.

Don't worry about hitting exact numbers and don't worry too much about adding magnesium. If you really want it in there, use epsom salt and reduce any other sulfate additions.

I like to go with almost a soft lager water profile with a slight increase in chloride and sulfates for my Kolsch. Have one lagering as we speak and for I adjusted RO water to Ca 23, Mg 8.5, SO4 34, Cl 40.6. Which for a 7.05 gallons of water in BIAB batch wound up equaling 2.25 grams of Calcium Chloride and 2.30 of Epsom salt. Did have a little acidulated malt in the mash, so combined that gave me a 5.35 pH.

Latest posts

Back