Water and brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any suggestions on what i might add to this water for better results

I'm not big on "water profiles" so I'm not the best one to be asked this question. Calcium Chloride for sure, and some acid to reduce the alkalinity.

I'm not big on "water profiles" so I'm not the best one to be asked this question. Calcium Chloride for sure, and some acid to reduce the alkalinity.
Thats ok i will play around with these figures on brud water as ill have to figure it out myself but just double checking incase i do something wrong along the way!

I haven't guessed on the Potassium (K+) ion yet, but if forced to guess, I'd guess 1 to 2 mg/L.

While playing with other software, feel free to also give mine a spin. Free and complete. Just download and run in Excel or LibreOffice Calc.

I haven't guessed on the Potassium (K+) ion yet, but if forced to guess, I'd guess 1 to 2 mg/L.
Cool so just to be sure!!
Carbonate =1 mg/l
Calcium = 23.8 mg/l
Magnesium = 6.2 mg/l
Phosphorus = 1/2 mg/l
Iron = 1mg/l
As the iron is 12ng/l im assuming its a much lower value

Cool so just to be sure!!
Carbonate =1 mg/l
Calcium = 23.8 mg/l
Magnesium = 6.2 mg/l
Phosphorus = 1/2 mg/l
Iron = 1mg/l
As the iron is 12ng/l im assuming its a much lower value

Consider Carbonate and Iron to be zero mg/L.

Phosphorus at either 1 or 2 mg/L is purely my guess, with no basis for it other than the rest of the ions being low.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210121-152936_Excel.jpg
    Screenshot_20210121-152936_Excel.jpg
    672.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20210121-152908_Excel.jpg
    Screenshot_20210121-152908_Excel.jpg
    550.2 KB · Views: 11
I don’t trust that my city water will always agree with the water reports. I prefer a consistent, blank slate. I use distilled water and build up to the water profile I want for each batch. At 89 cents a gallon I can afford to purchase the distilled water.

I don’t trust that my city water will always agree with the water reports. I prefer a consistent, blank slate. I use distilled water and build up to the water profile I want for each batch. At 89 cents a gallon I can afford to purchase the distilled water.

A reliable portable RODI system with an inline TDS meter can be gotten for less than $100. Saves one the hassle of lugging gallons of water home each time you want to brew.

Back