"Washing" yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinpanharry

Reaction score
The attached is captured Wyeast London Ale 1082 yeast captured from an American Brown Ale in the following manner.

After primary fermentation, I moved the beer to a secondary. Caution: This is not about primaries versus secondaries. It was nice small yeast cake, and I have enjoyed this yeast before.... so I added a bottle of bottled water to the yeast cake, swirled it around to mix it up, and added this to three 12oz sanitized jars, as shown in the pic. It has now settled for about 3 days. You can see the white versus tan part of the cake where it has settled.

So is this too much yeast to use in the next 5 gal batch of 1050-or-so beer?

Thanks!
TPH

photo (9).JPG

That looks about right from when I was rinsing yeast. I would just make a starter with it to make sure that you have a lot of healthy viable yeast to pitch in the next batch.

I would guess that's close to a pint sized jar. If so just make a starter prior to your next batch for the yeast to grow. Be careful bringing it to room temperature and make sure you let this jar warm up with the kid on loose. It will have a fair amount of pressure built up if you keep the lid on tight and let it warm up to temps.

Back