Washing Yeast vs Pitching Trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I gave it about an hour and a half and figured that was it. It's getting late and I do not want that wort sitting overnight.
Mine usually all drains thru within an hour. No wort wasted. Mine is 200 micron or less. at least twice as tight as yours.

How long did you let the kettle sit undisturbed before you opened the drain spigot?

And very important...how is your spigot set up? Is it a couple inches off the bottom? If you have a dip tube you need to get rid of that that. If you open the spigot too much, there is the chance that the velocity will start to pull up the debris that has fallen below the spigot.

Try it a few times and you will see what happens and how to make improvements.

If the screen starts to clog up too soon, then you didn't let the kettle sit quiet long enough. Just shut the spigot and let it drip thru, rinse the strainer and start over after letting the kettle sit a bit longer.

You do have a lid on the kettle? So don't worry about wild yeasties or whatever getting in.

And you should place a lid over the strainer while it's sitting and dripping. It will be fine like that for hours or overnight.

I use one of these for overnight filtering...3.5 gal bucket that I can put in my refrigerator and watch thru the translucent plastic. They are only a few dollars normally in the store. Not sure why online price is so high. But the short bucket I can get in my garage fridge.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LEAKTITE-3GLWMN-3-1-2-Gallon-Watermelo-Pail-Multi/46651160?from=/search

I let it sit probably 1.5 hours before starting to move things. Kettle I used has no valve, I siphon from it to the FV. It picked up basically 0 gunk in that process. I"m able to start high and move down as the inlet (which faces up) is taking clear wort off the top of the remainder. When it got low enough, that stuff got dumped into the bucket filter. Yes, lids were on everything as much as was possible. Obviously I have to open them to move stuff around. But that's no different than normal.

The amount that I didn't catch is WELL within what I would consider acceptable. It was nothing. I am not buying any finer filter, that's for sure. Point taken though on doing smaller amounts and cleaning the filter between. That makes sense. Rinse, re-sanitize and restart. I just dumped the kettle into it and put it all in there. It was essentially stopped up in a matter of seconds. (and I expected that).

After most of the kettle contents are gone, what makes more sense is to tilt the kettle onto a 45 deg angle, get the worst of the gunk to simply fall, then pour off only the clearER stuff from the top and filter that, then dump the kettle down the drain. That's what I'll do next batch.

No question about it, I've got a new process to add. I like this idea and thanks again for the tip.

And, this falls in line well with my Rip Van Winkle thread. Seems everywhere I interact on this forum ends up with me buying some gadget and putting more money into this "money saving" hobby! LOL.

Back