washed yeast smells like vomit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your nose is a very good indicator of things going bad, specifically when bacteria is involved. I wouldn't have used it but then again it's your beer. So as stated above you will find out shortly.

beerloaf

Your nose is a very good indicator of things going bad, specifically when bacteria is involved. I wouldn't have used it but then again it's your beer.

This.

If the starter smelled like vomit, it's pretty safe to assume that whatever it ferments will smell like vomit.

But post back and let us know!

Generally that's what a lot of people have said it smells like, yeast generally doesn't smell like a cupcake factory.

I guess it all depends on your definition of smells like vomit. First of all what kinda yeast was washed ? Did you wash a lambic blend or something ?

The liquid on top of the waned yeast generally smells like BEER, and nothing in there should smell like vomit. If it smells bad, don't pitch it!

suprchunk said:
I've never heard anyone say that. Except for this post. It smells closer to a cupcake factory than vomit. That is for sure.

Wait, cupcake factories smell like vomit? I bet santa isn't real too then?

well in all honesty it was a toss up between vomit and diarea. o well. still no visible sign of fermentation yet its been 24hrs. it was month old yeast. the wife forced me to brew so i didnt get to plan ahead with a starter. i racked my barleywine yesterday which was a month old in the primary and had fermented with a batch of the same yeast (i split it into three pint jars). i sampled the barley wine and thought it it was excellent, but when dumping the yeast cake down the sink noticed the same nasty smell. so thats why i went ahead and pitched the yeast i had.

Is it American Ale Yeast? That definitely smells like vomit to me -- especially the yeast cake and bucket clean up. Fortunately, the beer it produces smells and tastes much better than the yeast.

British Ale yeasts generally smell good to me -- especially the Thames Valley II and Burton Ale yeasts.

The packs of yeast smell pretty bad when I open them up to pitch into a starter. The starters usually don't smell all that bad though. Guess it was just a lot of concentrated yeast.

Well I have visible signs of fermentation after 36 hours; a nice white krausen and the familiar smell of fermenting goodness. Not bad for 75 ml of stinky one month old solid yeast slurry in a ten gallon batch of brew.

oh and no airation (i just didn't have it in me to shake up the carboys after cleaning and sterelizing seven kegs, two carboys and brewing ten gallons of beer, all in one day.)

oh and no airation (i just didn't have it in me to shake up the carboys after cleaning and sterelizing seven kegs, two carboys and brewing ten gallons of beer, all in one day.)

Well...just don't complain when you're beer turns out like crap:( Honestly if brewing has taught me anything it is that do it right the first time! If you don't have time to brew right put it off until you have the time.

Phunhog said:
Well...just don't complain when you're beer turns out like crap:( Honestly if brewing has taught me anything it is that do it right the first time! If you don't have time to brew right put it off until you have the time.

I wont complain. i would rather drink my diarea beer than more BMC.

carrolte said:

Literally heard the following exchange at my LHBS today:

'I can't remember the name, I'm sure its a WyEast...American Ale??? Smells like puke.'

'You're looking for the 1056, let me get that for you.'

Huh. To my nose its 'bready' but everyone's is different. I don't get vomit off of it.

Or maybe I just like the smell of vomit??? Mmmmm pukey... ;)

Back