Bad hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveruch

Reaction score
I got a nice supply of hops at the local homebrew club Christmas party. I thought I lucked out until I opened one to use on Friday and it smelled like vomit. I checked the other twenty packs and all but four of them had the same smell to some degree. The ones that didn't had no smell at all, good or bad. I ended up tossing the lot into the trash.
I'm not all that upset about it as they were free, but I won't ever buy anything from this hop supplier.
It seems to me like a bad business decision to give away bad product to someone who might be a paying customer some day.

It looks like the hops I received were repackaged by someone other than the original supplier and they had no control over how the hops were handled.

It looks like the hops I received were repackaged by someone other than the original supplier and they had no control over how the hops were handled.

Thanks for reporting back!

Were they labeled in any way to indicate the repackaging? If not, and they were repackaged for commercial use (and not, say, a homebrew club member who was sharing hops) then that seems like a questionable practice on the part of the repackager.

Thanks for reporting back!

Were they labeled in any way to indicate the repackaging? If not, and they were repackaged for commercial use (and not, say, a homebrew club member who was sharing hops) then that seems like a questionable practice on the part of the repackager.
No the packaging had the name of the original supplier.
I've been in contact with the original supplier: they only deal in large packs (1 lb or larger) and they don't give sway samples.

At the homebrew club Christmas party I got a selection of hops from Michigan hop alliance. I planned to use some cashmere in my brew this morning. When I opened the pack I got an awful smell that reminded me of vomit. I brewed my batch with different hops and went through the rest of the hop samples and found that smell in most of the other hops. The ones without that bad smell had no smell at all. Since these were a freeby I can't complain, but if these were meant to intice me to buy from them they failed miserably.

This is the same story, yes? Maybe put the update on the thread where you name the original supplier, eh?

Back