Warm Fermented Lager Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting a little nervous about this experiment. Things are getting quite warm in there. I did wake up to almost 20 psi on the regulator. I thought I had it adjusted properly for around 12 psi but apparently not.

A8CEB4C4-02B4-49C5-BD7A-081DF635F463.jpeg
C8EF2464-F077-4585-881C-CDE5887B82DF.jpeg

Getting a little nervous about this experiment. Things are getting quite warm in there. I did wake up to almost 20 psi on the regulator. I thought I had it adjusted properly for around 12 psi but apparently not.

View attachment 691143View attachment 691144
Hi,
I meant to comment on your previous post. I have a fermzilla also and to answer your questions about how much psi to keep during active fermentation is between 10-15psi. I have ran into the problem that you have. At higher psi its suppress the yeast to the bottom. Just release pressure slowly to 10-15 psi and you should see activity again. What yeast are you using by the way?

Hi,
I meant to comment on your previous post. I have a fermzilla also and to answer your questions about how much psi to keep during active fermentation is between 10-15psi. I have ran into the problem that you have. At higher psi its suppress the yeast to the bottom. Just release pressure slowly to 10-15 psi and you should see activity again. What yeast are you using by the way?

Thanks for the feedback on pressure. I am using my old standby 34/70. From what little bit I can find on the subject, I think I’m going to be ok even with the higher than expected temps.

Dr. Hans on YouTube brewed a lager using Omega Yeast's OYL071 Lutra Kveik fermented warm. Makes me want to get my hands on some and try it for myself.

Hi folks! Just wanted to report another successful warm-fermented lager experiment. It is getting real hot here in southern Spain and I like a fresh lager in the summer so I gave this warm lager fermenting thing a try. I ended up with a bit over 4 gallons in my fermenting keg. Pitched two packs of 34/70, closed and attached a spunding valve at 15 PSI.

Fermentation was done in 3 days (FG 1.005). Chilled to serving temperature on day 5. I did not use any gelatine to clear and so it is still a bit cloudy at day 9. I am serving from the fermenter keg (I did cut the beer dip tube 5 cm / 2" to avoid picking up the trub).

All in all, very happy with the speed and the result. I will try again in a few weeks.

So, the Dortmunder recipe I did a while back ended up being really good, and we finished that keg rather quickly. At the point I kegged it, I was really disappointed. It was just was too malty or something. I was thinking about opening up the keg and trying to dry hop it. But I just let it sit, and am glad I did. It ended up with a kind of clarity that I’m kind of craving now. I’m amazed at how different it was sitting in the keg for a couple weeks. Are you guys finding this to be common with 34/70? I have another batch sitting in the fridge that I just kegged, and I’m really hoping for the same results.

I had a chance to finally use Lallamand's diamond lager yeast on a batch of brulosophy's short and shoddy international pale lager a few weeks back. I made a 2.5 gallon batch and did no chill/pressurized fermentation at room temp around 68 degrees. 20 days later, I finally had a chance to pull a gravity sample and taste it. Initial thoughts: Aroma: Smells like a lager and I don't detect any sulfur. Taste: No off flavors, tastes like a lager, there is just enough bitterness to let the malt shine. I think it's going to be a pretty tasty lager. Just started to crash chill the batch and look forward to transferring the batch sometime this week with some gelatin to get it nice and clear.

Over a month after brewing my Marzen, I finally got around to kegging it. This just so happens to be my first kegged beer. The Fermzilla made the process really simple.

Anywho, I was quite nervous to taste it as it hit 78degF at peak fermentation and I wasn’t sure how well my hoodie was going to block out sun light. I’m incredibly proud to say that I can sense zero off flavors and it’s actually quite good for my first Marzen.

FC2C610F-AAA5-4BE5-AA30-A2EBB2274CD4.jpeg

Over a month after brewing my Marzen, I finally got around to kegging it. This just so happens to be my first kegged beer. The Fermzilla made the process really simple.

Anywho, I was quite nervous to taste it as it hit 78degF at peak fermentation and I wasn’t sure how well my hoodie was going to block out sun light. I’m incredibly proud to say that I can sense zero off flavors and it’s actually quite good for my first Marzen.

View attachment 696447

I want to give an update after a little over a week in the keg. I am definitely detecting some very mild fusels as of today. The flavor is still incredibly clean, just a touch of alcohol burn that has developed since it’s been in the keg. Maybe 78F is still too high for 34/70 even under a Bar of pressure.

What's the warmest anyone has used M54, successfully or otherwise? I had a little leftover wort from an amber ale, so I'm trying some of it with M54 at 26C/79F.

I had a chance to finally use Lallamand's diamond lager yeast on a batch of brulosophy's short and shoddy international pale lager a few weeks back. I made a 2.5 gallon batch and did no chill/pressurized fermentation at room temp around 68 degrees. 20 days later, I finally had a chance to pull a gravity sample and taste it. Initial thoughts: Aroma: Smells like a lager and I don't detect any sulfur. Taste: No off flavors, tastes like a lager, there is just enough bitterness to let the malt shine. I think it's going to be a pretty tasty lager. Just started to crash chill the batch and look forward to transferring the batch sometime this week with some gelatin to get it nice and clear.
I've used the Diamond several times so far, and really like the results in a WF lager. S23 is pricey right now, and I had a bad experience with 34/70 (possibly my own screwup), but the Diamond produced a nice, crisp, low-sulfur lager at 64, and kept going for three generations. Couldn't get any for my latest WF lager so I'm giving S-189 a try at 60. Tasted it today (brewed last weekend) and happy with the results, although a bit heavier on malt flavor than expected (1.054 down to 1.010). Next paycheck gonna drop the hammer on a 5-pack of Diamond from amazon again and keep using it.

@seatazzz and @Chetbrews, have you noticed any issues with head formation/retention when using Diamond?
I did notice that with my last beer that I used Diamond lager that the head did not stick around very long on the beer. I also didn't use any wheat or carapils in the International Pale Lager I made so that might have something to do with it.

One thing I found out, partly through discussions on HBT, is that I need to pitch a couple packs of yeast with lagers. At least using 34/70. I've brewed a bunch of batches recently and they've all turned out well. It did a batch of the Dortmunder lager again with 2 packs, and have been repitching that same yeast. Keeping temps in the low 70's. It's been working great.

@seatazzz and @Chetbrews, have you noticed any issues with head formation/retention when using Diamond?
Not really, but I don't pay a lot of attention to head retention/lacing. My main concern is the flavor, and the attenuation. From what I remember though I did get a smaller head with it, that didn't last long. In this day and age where competitions are scarce I care more about how my beer will taste than how it looks.

Very informative thread so far. I'm thinking for my next batch, I want to attempt a warm fermented lager. What overall process would be recommended, as I currently lack precise temperature control and currently bottles my beers?

I want to give an update after a little over a week in the keg. I am definitely detecting some very mild fusels as of today. The flavor is still incredibly clean, just a touch of alcohol burn that has developed since it’s been in the keg. Maybe 78F is still too high for 34/70 even under a Bar of pressure.

Over a month later and I am finally happy with this Marzen. It’s finally cleared and no off flavors that I can find. Not bad considering what it tasted like a month ago. This has turned in to a shareable beer. At this point in my home brewing career, that means it’s good lol.

066E62E4-8C55-4E3E-8040-41F7140457E0.jpeg

Over a month later and I am finally happy with this Marzen. It’s finally cleared and no off flavors that I can find. Not bad considering what it tasted like a month ago. This has turned in to a shareable beer. At this point in my home brewing career, that means it’s good lol.

View attachment 702713
That's a pretty beer.

For those considering using S189 as a WF lager yeast, here's my update on the 2nd generation; 1.054 down to 1.010, flavor is great, tastes like a lager. Kegged it off today after 2 weeks in the fermenter, and should be able to tap it midweek next week. Keg wound up a LOT fuller than expected so will take a few more days than usual to force carb.

For those considering using S189 as a WF lager yeast, here's my update on the 2nd generation; 1.054 down to 1.010, flavor is great, tastes like a lager. Kegged it off today after 2 weeks in the fermenter, and should be able to tap it midweek next week. Keg wound up a LOT fuller than expected so will take a few more days than usual to force carb.

What temperature did you ferment at?

What temperature did you ferment at?
64, for two weeks. 1st gen I did 60, this yeast seems happier at 64. 1st gen lager out of it was kinda meh, this one has far more flavor and lager character, with the same grain/hop bill. Could also be due to me pitching an entire jar of slurry for the 2nd one.

64, for two weeks. 1st gen I did 60, this yeast seems happier at 64. 1st gen lager out of it was kinda meh, this one has far more flavor and lager character, with the same grain/hop bill. Could also be due to me pitching an entire jar of slurry for the 2nd one.
Sweet. I'll have to add S189 to my list of WF lager yeasts to try.

Did it need the two weeks to finish or you just let it go that long?

I have a beer fermenting now with S-189 that I started cold(55F) that is still slowly chugging on day 9(now at 68F), it is only about 70% attenuated.

Did it need the two weeks to finish or you just let it go that long?

I have a beer fermenting now with S-189 that I started cold(55F) that is still slowly chugging on day 9(now at 68F), it is only about 70% attenuated.
After going over my notes, I find that I lied...this was done in ONE week. I brewed it last Saturday; it went gangbusters for 5 days and dropped the krausen like a lead balloon on Thursday. I crashed it last night and kegged today. No off-flavors, just a nice flavorful lager. First generation of this yeast I did let go for two weeks, mainly because I didn't need it on tap in a hurry, also I'd never used this strain before. Don't need this one particularly quick either, I just want to have a full kegerator. And it was done.

*edit: it probably finished out so quick because I overpitched the hell out of it, but it did no harm that I can discern.

After going over my notes, I find that I lied...this was done in ONE week. I brewed it last Saturday; it went gangbusters for 5 days and dropped the krausen like a lead balloon on Thursday. I crashed it last night and kegged today. No off-flavors, just a nice flavorful lager. First generation of this yeast I did let go for two weeks, mainly because I didn't need it on tap in a hurry, also I'd never used this strain before. Don't need this one particularly quick either, I just want to have a full kegerator. And it was done.

*edit: it probably finished out so quick because I overpitched the hell out of it, but it did no harm that I can discern.
Thanks for the info. This is the first pitch and I did not rehydrate just sprinkled the yeast on top. It had good activity in a short time, fast bubbles in the airlock and a nice foamy krausen but just did attenuate much. No off flavors in the sample I have taken just taking it's own time. If I repitch this slurry I will start off warmer and use extra slurry.

I honestly wouldn’t call a jar of slurry an over pitch on a lager. Seems about right-but I’m one for properly pitching a lot of healthy yeast for a nice, quick fermentation that produces good beer, not a bunch of off flavors.

I honestly wouldn’t call a jar of slurry an over pitch on a lager. Seems about right-but I’m one for properly pitching a lot of healthy yeast for a nice, quick fermentation that produces good beer, not a bunch of off flavors.
'Twas exactly my thought when I pitched that yeast. I've learned (the hard way a couple of times) that lagers, cold or warm-fermented, like a LOT of healthy yeast; nigh unto impossible to overpitch.

For an update, just tapped this one; thought it was going to take a few more days because overfull keg, but somehow it got carbonated. Best lager I've done in a while, although a bit too fresh-tasting (even for me, who likes "young" beer). A few more days in the keg will see it right.

Thought I would take a few minutes to share one of the best compliments that I have received in regards to warm fermented lager. I brewed Brulosophy's short and shoddy International pale lager and I take it a step farther and do no chill to save time (3 kids under 7 and I need my brew day to be quick and efficient!). I poured myself a pint to have while cleaning up in the kitchen when my wife came in and took a drink of it.
Wife: Alright, where is this one from?
Me: What do you mean?
Wife: Who brews this?
Me: I....I brewed it.
Wife: Seriously?!
Me: Yes.
Wife: Dang! Is there more of it? Can I pour myself a pint?
I love this thread and really happy I discovered warm fermented lager. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to it and offered advice to the rest of us!!

Hi folks, I'd appreciate some feedback on a choice between 34/70 & wlp830 for a brew planned this weekend (Pivo Pils clone). I was keeping up with this thread through the first several pages & remember people not liking some strains fermented warm.

** I plan to ferment warm & under pressure with a fermzilla

I've done a few warm-fermented lagers with wyeast 2124 & 34/70 that came out very nice. My lhbs was out of 2124, so I picked up a pack of 830 instead. I'd like to use the 830, but would prefer a more predictable & drinkable outcome. Thanks.

View attachment 702713

Nice looking beer!

Not sure what to call this, but I fermented it with M54 (Mangrove Jack's Californian Lager Yeast) between 26-28C (79-84F) and it tastes pretty darn good. It reminds me of a fruity alt I attempted with K-97 a while back.

IMG00213.jpg

What would you call it?

Grain bill:
76% Maris Otter
8% Amber
8% Carahell
5% Melanoidin
3% Caraaroma

Hops:
Mandarina Bavaria @20
Motueka @10
Mandarina Bavaria and Motueka hopstand

Yeast:
M54 @27C

OG 1.051, FG 1.011 ABV 5.3%

An interesting thing was that it appeared to be fermenting at the top. I was using a different kind of carrageenan for the first time, and added a bit too much, so I got some odd clumpiness. Maybe it was just kräusen that was too heavy to float on top.

IMG00020.jpg

About to mill the grain for another batch of WF House lager, using the same S189 yeast. This will be third gen. 2nd gen that is currently on tap (and going fast) is, to me, a perfect example of a tasty lager; has that lager 'bite', cleared nicely, and after a couple weeks in the keg settled into what I like my house lager to be. Refreshing, flavorful, and doesn't taste any different from the few "cold" fermented lagers I've done. I was sitting on the couch last night with a sick kittycat in my lap (she's getting better) and had the husband pour me a pint; he's not the best barman in the world and came back with a glass that was 1/3 head, but a nice pretty creamy head at that. This recipe is tried and true and the one I brew the most. Just for the heck of it, for today's batch I'll add a pound of carapils just to see what it does for the mouthfeel and head retention, also I'm out of two-row and need something to augment the pilsner. Usual recipe is 10lbs pilsner and 2lbs two row; I've got maybe .75lb of two row left so need something else in there.

About to mill the grain for another batch of WF House lager, using the same S189 yeast. This will be third gen. 2nd gen that is currently on tap (and going fast) is, to me, a perfect example of a tasty lager; has that lager 'bite', cleared nicely, and after a couple weeks in the keg settled into what I like my house lager to be. Refreshing, flavorful, and doesn't taste any different from the few "cold" fermented lagers I've done. I was sitting on the couch last night with a sick kittycat in my lap (she's getting better) and had the husband pour me a pint; he's not the best barman in the world and came back with a glass that was 1/3 head, but a nice pretty creamy head at that. This recipe is tried and true and the one I brew the most. Just for the heck of it, for today's batch I'll add a pound of carapils just to see what it does for the mouthfeel and head retention, also I'm out of two-row and need something to augment the pilsner. Usual recipe is 10lbs pilsner and 2lbs two row; I've got maybe .75lb of two row left so need something else in there.
What brand of Pilsner malt do you typically use? I have used Weyermann Barke malt and thought it was fantastic. My standard two row is from Rahr.

Back