Wanting to try something new. Kveik anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just brew an ale, throw in hops at 60 min for 25 to 30 ibus, use only base malt and up to ten percent medium Crystal, or skip the Crystal completely. Ferment HOT, pitch a teaspoon of slurry, not more and let the yeast shine :)

Do you suggest any particular hop and hop schedule?

Do you suggest any particular hop and hop schedule?
If it shouldn't be hop forward,I would just use something like magnum for bittering and if you feel like adding a bit of hop flavour, maybe some saaz at 10 min left in the boil.

Or if you want to keep it American, use something like cascade instead of the saaz, but the American hops can get very easily get very dominant. Therefore I would go with something European like saaz or maybe English goldings.

@Miraculix I think I have previously run across a post of yours on the warm fermented lager thread about using Kveik. Have you by chance ever made something light and citrusy?

If it shouldn't be hop forward,I would just use something like magnum for bittering and if you feel like adding a bit of hop flavour, maybe some saaz at 10 min left in the boil.

Or if you want to keep it American, use something like cascade instead of the saaz, but the American hops can get very easily get very dominant. Therefore I would go with something European like saaz or maybe English goldings.
OK, so what are your thoughts on this recipe?

OG: 1.048
FG: 1.010
Color: 4.2° SRM
Bitterness: 31.1 IBU
Alcohol: 5.0% ABV

5.5 G
60 min boil
9.5# 2 row
.5# Cara 10
.25# white wheat
Hops
.5 oz magnum @60
.5 oz magnum @10
.5 oz mandarina Bavaria @10
.5 oz mandarina Bavaria @fo

For yeast I'm thinking omega hot head OYL-057

Any feedback is appreciated!
Cheers

5.5 G
60 min boil
9.5# 2 row
.5# Cara 10
.25# white wheat
Hops
.5 oz magnum @60
.5 oz magnum @10

Cheers

If it shouldn't be hop forward, drop the fo addition and also the 10 minute magnum addition. In addition, you could even cut the 10 min Bavaria addition in half, but you don't have to if you want a bit more hop flavour.
Adjust your 60 min magnum addition accordingly, for the missing ibus.

Maybe you want to bring up the white wheat to 5 or even ten percent of the grain bill, I use ten percent most of the time, for head retention.

Otherwise looks good! Just a bit of fine tuning.

Try to ferment at the upper recommended range for the yeast, which is insanely high. Also underpitch to force the yeast to bring out the flavour.
If you haven't read it, read this http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/393.html

Have fun!

If it shouldn't be hop forward, drop the fo addition and also the 10 minute magnum addition. In addition, you could even cut the 10 min Bavaria addition in half, but you don't have to if you want a bit more hop flavour.
Adjust your 60 min magnum addition accordingly, for the missing ibus.

Maybe you want to bring up the white wheat to 5 or even ten percent of the grain bill, I use ten percent most of the time, for head retention.

Otherwise looks good! Just a bit of fine tuning.

Try to ferment at the upper recommended range for the yeast, which is insanely high. Also underpitch to force the yeast to bring out the flavour.

Have fun!

Thanks for the advice. I upped the white wheat to a pound. I'm going to leave the hop schedule as is and see how it goes. I enjoy a little bit of hop flavor and aroma, just don't enjoy the extremely hoppy commercial beers that have become popular over the last few years. IBU's in the 30 range are perfect for my taste.

This will be a summer brew for me. Temps will get into the right fermentation range in a couple of months and I'll brew this up then. I'll post the results when it's all finished up.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers!

Thanks for the advice. I upped the white wheat to a pound. I'm going to leave the hop schedule as is and see how it goes. I enjoy a little bit of hop flavor and aroma, just don't enjoy the extremely hoppy commercial beers that have become popular over the last few years. IBU's in the 30 range are perfect for my taste.

This will be a summer brew for me. Temps will get into the right fermentation range in a couple of months and I'll brew this up then. I'll post the results when it's all finished up.

Cheers!
Sounds good them n, you're welcome!

Iamam still a bit unsure about the ten minute magnum addition. I never used magnum as a late addition, always thought about it is a good bittering hop without much aroma therefore a bit of a waste this late. But I actually never tried it, so let me know if it contributes something nice.

Have fun!
Hey, thanks for the link with great info!

Cheers!
I'd be interesting in hearing your results as well!

Sounds good them n, you're welcome!

Iamam still a bit unsure about the ten minute magnum addition. I never used magnum as a late addition, always thought about it is a good bittering hop without much aroma therefore a bit of a waste this late. But I actually never tried it, so let me know if it contributes something nice.

I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm not sure if it really contributes much aroma either to be honest. But I hate wasting perfectly good hops and wanted to keep the bitterness lower on this recipe, so thought I would add it in the later addition for a lower IBU contribution and maybe get some aroma too.

I actually did the same thing in an American Amber I made a few weeks ago. It is still bottle conditioning right now. I plan on tasting it in a week or so. When I sampled it before adding the dry hops, it smelled and tasted great. I wasn't particularly stoked when I tasted the sample after adding the dry hops, but there was allot of sediment still in suspension and it was pretty"green" still. I think after a few weeks of bottle conditioning and chilling it will be a very nice beer. Hopefully this recipe will turn out good too. Isn't experimentation a wonderful thing?! :)
Cheers!

I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm not sure if it really contributes much aroma either to be honest. But I hate wasting perfectly good hops and wanted to keep the bitterness lower on this recipe, so thought I would add it in the later addition for a lower IBU contribution and maybe get some aroma too.

I actually did the same thing in an American Amber I made a few weeks ago. It is still bottle conditioning right now. I plan on tasting it in a week or so. When I sampled it before adding the dry hops, it smelled and tasted great. I wasn't particularly stoked when I tasted the sample after adding the dry hops, but there was allot of sediment still in suspension and it was pretty"green" still. I think after a few weeks of bottle conditioning and chilling it will be a very nice beer. Hopefully this recipe will turn out good too. Isn't experimentation a wonderful thing?! :)
Cheers!

Best is, right after fermenter and two or three weeks later can be a day and night difference... but it does not have to be :D

Just an update, after 24 hours a nice big Krausen formed so I took my first two yeast croppings off the top. Got a pint jar full of yeast and a smearing on tin foil that is drying in my basement now. The beer is currently fermenting at 76 and rising.

Just wanted to give another update. The beer turned out fantastic! Very fruity and at 9%, very drinkable. I brought a couple bottles to a local brewery, he tried it, and wants to make a batch on his system. I plan on helping him brew it on brew day. I'm pretty excited to brew a batch on a pro scale and have it on tap.

As far as saving the yeast, the tin foil did not work to dry the yeast. Once it dried it was very hard to get the yeast off. After transferring the beer to the keg, I save the yeast 3 different ways.
1. I made a yeast block by drilling holes in an oak block, I dipped the wood in the yeast slurry a couple times to coat it and hung it to dry the yeast.
2. ironed a clean t-shirt to sanitize it and then spread some slurry on it to dry it. After 72 hours or so the yeast and was dry and easily flaked off.
3. poured the remaining slurry in to a quart jar.

I haven't had a chance to use any of my saved yeast, but I'm hoping to use the yeast block sometime soon(hopefully tomorrow)!

Just wanted to give another update. The beer turned out fantastic! Very fruity and at 9%, very drinkable. I brought a couple bottles to a local brewery, he tried it, and wants to make a batch on his system. I plan on helping him brew it on brew day. I'm pretty excited to brew a batch on a pro scale and have it on tap.

As far as saving the yeast, the tin foil did not work to dry the yeast. Once it dried it was very hard to get the yeast off. After transferring the beer to the keg, I save the yeast 3 different ways.
1. I made a yeast block by drilling holes in an oak block, I dipped the wood in the yeast slurry a couple times to coat it and hung it to dry the yeast.
2. ironed a clean t-shirt to sanitize it and then spread some slurry on it to dry it. After 72 hours or so the yeast and was dry and easily flaked off.
3. poured the remaining slurry in to a quart jar.

I haven't had a chance to use any of my saved yeast, but I'm hoping to use the yeast block sometime soon(hopefully tomorrow)!
Thanks for the update. I'm sure this is a long shot, but are their any commercial examples that are similar to this one? Otherwise Ill have to see if I can make it to 612 brew next time I head that way. I have some friends in Mankato and Fairmont

Thanks for the update. I'm sure this is a long shot, but are their any commercial examples that are similar to this one? Otherwise Ill have to see if I can make it to 612 brew next time I head that way. I have some friends in Mankato and Fairmont

Hi, I don't think I've ever seen this style in bottles anywhere else, but I haven't really searched it out either. I was in Louisville, KY and had a Norwegian Farmhouse beer using Kveik yeast at Against the Grain a couple weeks ago, but it wasn't as good as the 612Brew version. Just tasted lighter, but similar profile. The 612Brew was a Collab with another brewery, so I'm not sure if they will keep it on tap or not.

5.5 G
60 min boil
9.5# 2 row
.5# Cara 10
.25# white wheat
Hops
.5 oz magnum @60
.5 oz magnum @10

Cheers
Did you end up brewing this one?

I have dried the imperial Kveik strain and reused it twice now. Totally happy. Literally yeast cake on parchment on my radiator.

Did you end up brewing this one?
Not yet. Ambient temps are still in the low 70's right now. This will be a summertime be for me, probably late May to early June. I'm excited to brew it though. I hate not being able to brew all summer.

Has anyone tried a lagerish beer like a Bock or octoberfest with this yeast? I picked up a Lallemand dry voss and I do like a malty Bock.

Has anyone tried a lagerish beer like a Bock or octoberfest with this yeast? I picked up a Lallemand dry voss and I do like a malty Bock.
I've brewed some good ales with Voss but nothing lager-like. I did however just keg a Helles Bock fermented with Lutra, early sampling is very promising. Lager-clean flavor and very malty, seemed like it finished out in about 72 hours. After only two weeks in the fermenter it was already dropping clear thanks to Lutra being moderately flocculant. I'll let it lager a few weeks before further sampling, but based on the first taste I'm planning to brew a string of lager recipes I've always wanted to try.

On a side note, Omega recently doubled the amount of yeast included in each pouch so I didn't bother with a starter.

I've brewed some good ales with Voss but nothing lager-like. I did however just keg a Helles Bock fermented with Lutra, early sampling is very promising. Lager-clean flavor and very malty, seemed like it finished out in about 72 hours. After only two weeks in the fermenter it was already dropping clear thanks to Lutra being moderately flocculant. I'll let it lager a few weeks before further sampling, but based on the first taste I'm planning to brew a string of lager recipes I've always wanted to try.

On a side note, Omega recently doubled the amount of yeast included in each pouch so I didn't bother with a starter.
If it will work for a Helles I'm in. Do you think a clarifier would work for short turnaround? I may have to give it a shot if so. I could primary with Lutra, transfer to secondary, harvest the slurry/top ferment from primary beforehand, and throw some gelatin/other clarifier in secondary. Short turnaround Bock sounds good to me.

If it will work for a Helles I'm in. Do you think a clarifier would work for short turnaround? I may have to give it a shot if so. I could primary with Lutra, transfer to secondary, harvest the slurry/top ferment from primary beforehand, and throw some gelatin/other clarifier in secondary. Short turnaround Bock sounds good to me.
Are you kegging? Also, kveik works fast and drops out on its own, so don't bother with secondary and you'll maximize the malty character.

Don't use StarSan in your bubbler. I've got a batch right now 12 hours in and the water in the air lock is non-stop streaming bubbles all around -- sounds like a windstorm as you walk by.

This stuff is a monster! But it's a good little monster!

Latest posts

Back