Vienna Lager not clearing and yeasty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphyslaw11

Reaction score
I brewed a Vienna Lager 1 month ago and hit all of my numbers. I fermented for around 3 weeks until it was cleared of diacetyl. I began lagering at 38 degrees 8 days ago, and I added gelatin 3 days ago to clear it quickly. It looked slightly clearer, but not completely clear. I kegged it tonight and force carbonated. I pulled a few pints and it is not clear. It does not taste bad, but it think it is yeasty. I’m a relatively new homebrewer, so I’m not certain. I realize that Viennas usually lager for weeks, but I thought it was suppose to clear with gelatin. Is the beer just too young? Will the flavor go away even though it’s off the yeast cake? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Hey welcome to HBT!

Your first couple pints might be like that since your drawing from the bottom which the gelatin dropped all the stuff out of suspension. It should get clearer after that .

Thank you for the reply. Is this the case even if the gelatin was in the fermenter and I racked the beer off of it into the keg? Thanks again.

If the haze in your beer is yeast, you can usually taste it. It's tart and off-putting, especially in a lager. If you're not tasting that, then it could be that what you're experiencing is chill haze. Note that I said could be. You'll have to wait and see. In my experience, beer is clear in the keg after 3 weeks. The only ones that aren't have hop haze, chill haze, or very low flocculating yeast (usually intentionally, like hefeweizen).

What yeast strain did you use?

The more it lagers it should clear . Can you post a pic ? You brew all grain?
This is pint 3. It is significantly clearer and less “grassy” than the first 2. I still think it tastes slightly grassy, but not bad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
If the haze in your beer is yeast, you can usually taste it. It's tart and off-putting, especially in a lager. If you're not tasting that, then it could be that what you're experiencing is chill haze. Note that I said could be. You'll have to wait and see. In my experience, beer is clear in the keg after 3 weeks. The only ones that aren't have hop haze, chill haze, or very low flocculating yeast (usually intentionally, like hefeweizen).

What yeast strain did you use?
I used WLB838 German South Lager. After pulling 3 pints, it cleared a lot, although I believe it should be clearer and less yeasty still. I added the gelatin prior to kegging, but I’ll take your advice and let it clear for a few weeks.

Sorry your Vienna Lager hasn't, so far, turned out as desired. Here is my Vienna Lager.

Vienna Lager-post.jpg

I lagered and fined with plain gelatin. Maybe the photo doesn't show, but the drip tray is seen thru the glass.

I used Wyeast 2206.

I do note White Labs recommends 50-55F for WLB838.

IMO, Devils Backbone is a far second to my Vienna Lager.

Yeah. Bragging about how clear my beer came out. Just to make the guy feel great. To OP, just wait and it should be better.

My photo was just meant to be reassuring. OP's beer (at time of post) was only 8 days in the keg. Mine has been there for six weeks. That's the point of lagering. It does good things, like clearing visually and cleaning up flavorwise.

I lagered my Oktoberfest for 6 months . Was hard but I checked it at 3 months and 5 month. Was definitely clearer the longer it was kegged.

I know lagering is longer than 8 days, but I thought gelatin was suppose to clear the beer. I put gelatin in my carboy 3 days before kegging. Thanks for the reassurances.

Back