Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to run a power line from a generator to a water pump but the line never connects. It is also red. I read somewhere that you need copper. I've searched everywhere for copper but can't find it. Where do I get copper?

The object will light up with a white outline if the wire can connect. Certain electronic items (I want to say the alarm clock or the toaster?) can be scrapped for copper.

It seems like I've scrapped those things but I can't find copper in the inventory anywhere. Do I have to convert those items somewhere? Or should the copper show up automatically when I scrap it?

It seems like I've scrapped those things but I can't find copper in the inventory anywhere. Do I have to convert those items somewhere? Or should the copper show up automatically when I scrap it?

IIRC, when you scrap at a workbench the items do not show up in your inventory. They show up in the workbench inventory.

Man, that game sounds awesome. All the fun of scrapping metal and connecting power lines, right at your finger tips!

Man, that game sounds awesome. All the fun of scrapping metal and connecting power lines, right at your finger tips!

I'm not convinced I like the mechanic of it yet.

It does make better use of collectibles than the previous versions did but adds an element of frustration into modding weapons and building settlements.

I do like the weapon mod function in this version of the game. Not sure I care about the settlements part.

I think the most annoying bit is, despite all the **** you collect and scrap for parts, there is no empty casing reload or ammo crafting function.

I am amazed by people who are able to switch back and forth between games. I buy a game, install it, and play it until I hate myself and my ruined life. Then, I walk away from the XBox for a few months. Then I buy a new game, and the cycle of hate repeats.

My current drug of choice is also Fallout 4. I spent (literally) 400 hours playing FO3, there's NO WAY I'm getting away from FO4 in less than twice that time, is my guess.

So far, I'm impressed by how developed the world is, and how many things can be collected and scrapped. I've only built up Sanctuary so far. Everybody else can just deal with their own shi*t, I'm mean hey: the Wasteland's tough, you know? I got bobbleheads to find.

I sometimes do that with other games. Just a little here and there. With FO4 I havent played anything else. I still feel like I havent gotten far in that game.

Did someone say you can get a house in Diamond City?

Does it have a workbench and can you link it with your other workbenches?

Yea you can. You have to go the the mayor which a window cleaning elevator can take you to his office. You can talk to the secretary and buy a house for I believe 2000 caps or you can basically take over Kelloggs house. Nothing in there is theft and you can sleep in the bed and use his benches.

I've read so much here the last few days I don't even know if I care to turn the game back on.
I did however just find this really enjoyable. I'm just glad it didn't spoil the rest of the story for me. I'll finish it someday. I swear.

tkmopka.png

Did someone say you can get a house in Diamond City?

Does it have a workbench and can you link it with your other workbenches?

Yes, but I haven't found that I am able to set up a linkage to diamond city yet. Still looking into it. There is a workbench in the house and there are weapon/armor ones between the shops

I'm trying to run a power line from a generator to a water pump but the line never connects. It is also red. I read somewhere that you need copper. I've searched everywhere for copper but can't find it. Where do I get copper?

Try connecting it the other direction. I had that trouble a couple times. It seemed to connect okay the other way. There is also, I think, a distance where you have to put up power poles or what have you to span a gap. Copper comes from electronics that you scrap. Junk stored in the workbench will automatically break down into its component parts when needed (if in the same settlement)

does the generator have line of sight to the pump, and is the pump close by? Does the generator produce enough power to activate the pump?

does the generator have line of sight to the pump, and is the pump close by? Does the generator produce enough power to activate the pump?

Yes and yes. When I run the line and try to connect it, the line turns red. I'm assuming that means I'm missing a component. The generator creates 5 energy and the water purifier uses 2 energy I believe.

Yes and yes. When I run the line and try to connect it, the line turns red. I'm assuming that means I'm missing a component. The generator creates 5 energy and the water purifier uses 2 energy I believe.

Gen and pump are too far apart, or there is some other obstacle in the wires path (bush, debris, clipping a building, etc..).

+1 to what GMB said, I'm guessing they are to far away from each other. either move the gen closer or put a pole between them, the larger pole lets wire go farther. There is a limit to the length you can run a wire and items can get in the way.

Yes, but I haven't found that I am able to set up a linkage to diamond city yet. Still looking into it. There is a workbench in the house and there are weapon/armor ones between the shops

I just really want a place to dump some stuff in around there and be able to get to it at a settlement. I dislike humping stuff back a fourth to a settlement from some random place I stashed it.

I suppose this will be a non-issue if I ever get the strong back perk up. Or when I get merchants setup at on of the settlements.

It bugs me that stuff you scrap at one settlement does not transfer elsewhere. It was pissing me off when I knew I had plenty of a material, but when I went somewhere else, I didn't have enough to build a gun turret.

It bugs me that stuff you scrap at one settlement does not transfer elsewhere. It was pissing me off when I knew I had plenty of a material, but when I went somewhere else, I didn't have enough to build a gun turret.

IIRC, the in game tip says you have to set-up a supply line to do this. To do that you need the local leader perk.

Thanks for those tips. I put the purifier in the river at Sanctuary and that's kind of a haul from the street where the workshop is. I was hoping to keep the generator up there. I tried moving the generator down by the river but I still couldn't connect. The line turned red when I attached it to the purifier. I assumed that meant I was missing a component. Maybe what that really meant was that there was some obstruction. I will move it again to see if I can get a clearer shot between the two.

So I can build power poles and use those to string up power lines down to the river?

Just be sure that all powered items hooked up to the power lines don't exceed the power going into them.

Also, you can daisy-chain generators into a power line to add power. But it's cheaper to put in one big generator than it is to put in many small ones.

Steam Fall sale should be starting tomorrow from what I have heard. Fall usually isn't the best sale but it is something.

Is anyone else playing Tomb Raider? I can't say it is as good as the first. Less intriguing storyline so far. But there are some fantastic graphics.

Is anyone else playing Tomb Raider? I can't say it is as good as the first. Less intriguing storyline so far. But there are some fantastic graphics.

I played the first one and really liked it. Picked up the second one with the buy 2 get one free deal a couple weeks ago but haven't even unwrapped it yet. With COD and now FO4 taking the spot light.

I figure if it's even close to the first one it'll do.

I got a chance to play a little last night and figured I would start rebuilding the castle. Got to a point I couldn't place any more items, it said "full" or something of the like. The bar at the top right of the screen was yellow and "full".

Not sure what the limitations are there, I know I should be able to build more stuff. I'm thinking it's cuz I only have 4 people there but not sure. I heard somewhere that you supply lines also add to the "cap" of people that can be at the settlement, not sure if that's the case but I moved one of my supply lines off the truck stop and sent them to the castle. Guess I'll see if that helps.

I had all my supply lines stemming from the truck stop as that was the central location. If I start getting people at the castle now I will see if I can make that the central one for more people.

Really not sure if it matters or not.

Thanks for those tips. I put the purifier in the river at Sanctuary and that's kind of a haul from the street where the workshop is. I was hoping to keep the generator up there. I tried moving the generator down by the river but I still couldn't connect. The line turned red when I attached it to the purifier. I assumed that meant I was missing a component. Maybe what that really meant was that there was some obstruction. I will move it again to see if I can get a clearer shot between the two.

So I can build power poles and use those to string up power lines down to the river?

Yes, or you can do what I did and put it on top of that little retaining wall. Will make a screenshot for you after work if you want.

I got a chance to play a little last night and figured I would start rebuilding the castle. Got to a point I couldn't place any more items, it said "full" or something of the like. The bar at the top right of the screen was yellow and "full".

Not sure what the limitations are there, I know I should be able to build more stuff. I'm thinking it's cuz I only have 4 people there but not sure. I heard somewhere that you supply lines also add to the "cap" of people that can be at the settlement, not sure if that's the case but I moved one of my supply lines off the truck stop and sent them to the castle. Guess I'll see if that helps.

I had all my supply lines stemming from the truck stop as that was the central location. If I start getting people at the castle now I will see if I can make that the central one for more people.

Really not sure if it matters or not.

Supply line hub doesn't really matter. As long as two sites are connected through other settlements its just as if they were directly connected. You can connect them in a daisy chain and not worry or have them all hub.

BTW for all the non FO4 fans, sorry to be continually adding to the fallout branch of this topic.

BTW for all the non FO4 fans, sorry to be continually adding to the fallout branch of this topic.

It's too late. I even saw a few spoilers I would've rather not have.. at least the threads active for the nerds at work.

I decided if I was finally going to put in some time, there's no point going through on normal with my play-style. I restarted and turned it up to survival difficulty. The game is much better for me. You can't just run into a bad situation and stick yourself with your entire supply of stimpaks. So, I'm enjoying now a bit.

Also fought through the first mission of Black Ops campaign while I was prepping dinner. Same thing, I know I'll never play the campaign again so I do it on the hardest difficulty. This will be a challenge. "Realistic" is the hardest difficulty and it is essentially hardcore mode, one hit kill.

It's too late. I even saw a few spoilers I would've rather not have.. at least the threads active for the nerds at work.

I decided if I was finally going to put in some time, there's no point going through on normal with my play-style. I restarted and turned it up to survival difficulty. The game is much better for me. You can't just run into a bad situation and stick yourself with your entire supply of stimpaks. So, I'm enjoying now a bit.

Also fought through the first mission of Black Ops campaign while I was prepping dinner. Same thing, I know I'll never play the campaign again so I do it on the hardest difficulty. This will be a challenge. "Realistic" is the hardest difficulty and it is essentially hardcore mode, one hit kill.

Sorry if I have been one to be spoilerish. was trying to not do that.

Dont know if you all have been playing around with different followers. I highly reccomend you do so as you can get perks by impressing them (any but your lil doggy that is). Just got one for having Codsworth love me and now I get like 10% damage reduction from robot energy attacks. Decided to change him out for someone else and try to get theirs as well. Hint, he hates when you give people drugs. the little goodie two shoes.

armyofdarkness-quotes-goody-two-shoes.gif

Sorry if I have been one to be spoilerish. was trying to not do that...

Hint, he hates when you give people drugs. the little goodie two shoes.

Hahaha, dude. I was seriously about to build my character around using the dog, get the perk for him to hold people down so I could smash their faces and everything...

Spoiler-Alert.jpg

Back