Too much honey. What can I expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthTundran

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's my first mead (or any brew at all). Hours of videos/reading beforehand, so I know I'm breaking a lot of rules by doing it the way I am (e.g. without a hydrometer, nutrients, etc.). So anyway...

I'm wondering what I can expect from this. Here's the situation. I used 68oz (4.25 lb) wildflower honey, 28 raisins, 2 bags Lipton black tea brewed in 2-3C reverse osmosis water, and RO water to a gallon in brown glass carboy. Lalvin 71b yeast. It was slow to start, but did eventually take up a vigorous fermentation. Now, Day 19 (with start date being Day 0), airlock activity has slowed but continues (a bubble about every 12.5 sec) and gas bubbles can still be seen rising at the shoulders. Obviously needs more time.

I am relocating in early June, and will have no way of moving this. I understand I used way too much honey, but it seems like it's working well enough. Does anyone have any insights into what I can expect from this and/or offer some suggestions for maximizing enjoyment? I was going for sweet, but I fear this is going to be pretty gross.

Without a hydrometer it's guesswork, but with that much honey, your looking at close to 20% abv if fermented to dry. So, I would do a couple things:
1. Taste a small amount using sanitized ladle. I suspect it will be sickly sweet, but 71b is jokingly called 71Beast for a reason. people have hit 18% with it before.
2. Get some k1 yeast. It has an abv tolerance of 18% vs the 14% for 71B, It also works well on stuck fermentations. As you don't have nutrients, add a full packet, the yeast will cannibalize any excess. Stir/agitate thoroughly- you aren't worrying about oxygenation well fermentation is ongoing.
3. Get a hydrometer, it makes your life easier.

You can still see bubbles even when fermentation is complete from the degassing. Is there a reason you are not using a hydrometer? A couple of readings and you could be sure fermentation is complete without having to add more yeast. I feel a hydrometer is almost the most important piece of equipment you can have. For one you will know for sure what your final ABV will be and if it is in the range so it won't turn to vinegar but with that much honey I don't think you have anything to worry about and 2nd it is the only way to be sure your fermentation is complete or you mead is stuck.

Without a hydrometer it's guesswork, but with that much honey, your looking at close to 20% abv if fermented to dry. So, I would do a couple things:
1. Taste a small amount using sanitized ladle. I suspect it will be sickly sweet, but 71b is jokingly called 71Beast for a reason. people have hit 18% with it before.
2. Get some k1 yeast. It has an abv tolerance of 18% vs the 14% for 71B, It also works well on stuck fermentations. As you don't have nutrients, add a full packet, the yeast will cannibalize any excess. Stir/agitate thoroughly- you aren't worrying about oxygenation well fermentation is ongoing.
3. Get a hydrometer, it makes your life easier.
I appreciate the feedback. I'll be tasting tomorrow. I do expect it to be sweet, likely too sweet. I got a hydrometer, and I'll share the reading, but I understand that there'll be no way to know exactly what the ABV is without the OG.
I didn't get the yeast...hopefully I don't need it. I have a half a packet of 71b left.
if you are going to add more yeast it muight be wise to add nutrient also ( not a lot)
Yeah, I tried to get some nutrients, but they wouldn't ship to me and no place here sells it. I've looked into some alternate sources, like molasses, bread yeast hulls, egg shells, banana peel...we'll see what happens, I'm taking a first taste and reading tomorrow.
...Is there a reason you are not using a hydrometer?...
Yes, because I didn't bother ordering one before I started. I got access to a carboy and some yeast from a friend unexpectedly and impatiently got started. BUT! I have one now :)
If you are not deliberately aiming for a very high ABV mead, you could just add some water to dilute it and restart fermentation. What is your target ABV?
Ummmmm I don't really have a target ABV. I'm more just seeing how this turns out and if it's something I'll want to really get into. Just the process so far, minimal though it has been, has been very interesting and I'm definitely going to give it several more go's no matter how this one turns out.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback so far. My hydrometer arrived in the mail today, I'm expecting a few more things tomorrow, so tomorrow I'll know more. I'm thinking no matter what, I should get it off the raisins and its current yeast? It's day 24, and I still have airlock bubbling about every 15 seconds. I know 71b is known for just going at it, so should I just let it keep going for now as is (still taking a reading, of course)?

Also, I got this thing coming in the mail that lets you pump air out of the carboy to pull a slight vacuum to pretty effectively degas the brew. Would now be a good time to do that or....?

Again, thank you for the help.

Back