Victory and 6row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattbeer

Reaction score
I have been home brewing for about 5 years and I have always used 2row or marris otter as my base malts. I primarily make ipa's, double ipa's, porters and stouts. I recently got 50 lbs of victory and 100lbs of 6row. What r ur feelings of making IPA's with these as the primary grain? I will obviously add speciality malts to enhance. If u guys are against ipa's, then what do u recommend with victory and 6 row?

Victory is not a base malt. It is a toasted malt, 25L, similar to biscuit malt. Use max of 15% (usually 5%) 5% in a pale ale or IPA is nice,

6 row, has a bit of a rough husky flavor. It is often used in high adjunct light lagers, as it has a lot of enzymes. It was more popular historically. You can use it where youd use 2 row. I might cut it 50/50 with two row until you know what it tastes like.

Ty for the feedback. I thought the same about the victory, but I want to c if anyone experimented.

Back