Organic Grain Bill #2 - IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KookyBrewsky

Reaction score
Hello all,

A while ago I asked for some help devising a darker beer for winter using the organic grains available. It came out as a classic brown ale. My temps got a little high so there was some rubbing alcohol on the back end that has mellowed out greatly over time. Very nice and I thank all that helped.

It's now hot as Diablo's huevos in FL and IPA time/light beer time.

Ingredients
  • I have organic Centennial hops and Willamette hops.
Available organic grains from northern brewer (any other places I can search for organic malt in the US?)
  • Briess Organic C-20L Mal
  • Briess Organic C-60L Malt
  • Briess Organic C-120L Malt
  • Briess Organic Chocolate Malt
  • Briess Organic Roast Barley Malt
  • Briess Organic Munich Malt
  • Briess Organic 2-Row Malt
Recipe
Obviously the main here is 2-Row. I was thinking start a little heavier with 12-14lbs of it. For an IPA, Chocolate, Roast Barely are out. That leaves Munich and C-20L.

Would C-20L / Munich with 2-Row make a worthwhile IPA or would be be goofy? Perhaps I'll scrap the IPA and do something a bit milder and less hoppy with what I've got? I am willing to venture out of organic I suppose if the rest of the grain bill totals to less than 5lbs.

Please let me know what you think and regards.

Hello all,

A while ago I asked for some help devising a darker beer for winter using the organic grains available. It came out as a classic brown ale. My temps got a little high so there was some rubbing alcohol on the back end that has mellowed out greatly over time. Very nice and I thank all that helped.

It's now hot as Diablo's huevos in FL and IPA time/light beer time.

Ingredients
  • I have organic Centennial hops and Willamette hops.
Available organic grains from northern brewer (any other places I can search for organic malt in the US?)
  • Briess Organic C-20L Mal
  • Briess Organic C-60L Malt
  • Briess Organic C-120L Malt
  • Briess Organic Chocolate Malt
  • Briess Organic Roast Barley Malt
  • Briess Organic Munich Malt
  • Briess Organic 2-Row Malt
Recipe
Obviously the main here is 2-Row. I was thinking start a little heavier with 12-14lbs of it. For an IPA, Chocolate, Roast Barely are out. That leaves Munich and C-20L.

Would C-20L / Munich with 2-Row make a worthwhile IPA or would be be goofy? Perhaps I'll scrap the IPA and do something a bit milder and less hoppy with what I've got? I am willing to venture out of organic I suppose if the rest of the grain bill totals to less than 5lbs.

Please let me know what you think and regards.

It's become somewhat popular to sub munich for crystal malt in more modern IPA recipes. So if you want to try it you can, maybe at 5-10% of the grain bill.

If you like the crystal sweetness, then add some of that instead. Or you could do it all base malt. The recipe will work fine all three ways.

Back