Viability of Using a Dishwasher’s Sanitize Setting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What ratio of betadine did you use? Any reason you went with betadine as opposed to iodophor? And did you let the bottles air dry before filling? Did you get the Stainless AutoSiphon from BrewSensible? Or just a standard stainless racking cane?
I'm a Vet and have gallons of Betadine, which of course is iodophor. 1/2 oz. per 5 gallon is a no-rinse sanitizer. But you have to make it up fresh every time. When the color fades, it is no longer effective.
When bottling, I just drop the dishwasher door , set the siphoning bucket on the counter above, and attach the sanitized racking cane. My stainless autosiphon is from BrewSSSential. Got it at Homebrewcon last year. 20 minutes in the oven at 225 sterilizes it. My racking cane is still the standard plastic. I'm going to look into a stainless racking cane.

By the way, I drank a bottle of La Fin du Monde last night, and there was that estery flavor that I don't like and was stuck in my bottling system for a year or two. Never brewing a Belgian or Saison again, which is no big loss for me.

Thanks JimRausch.

Still working on cleaning and acid washing all my stuff. But I think I am there with you on the "Never brewing a Belgian or Saison again"

I mix up one gallon batches in a pitcher and dump it in the bottom of my wife's dishwasher when I'm done with what I need to do for brewing.

She loads the dish washer like she normally would. We never had any issues with foam escaping the dishwasher.

I suspect it might be a problem if the door seal on a dishwasher is bad though.
I may be mistaken, but I believe most dishwashers pump out whatever water is in the dishwasher when the cycle starts. It could be that your dishwasher pumps your sanitizer out right in the beginning.

I also use the dishwasher to sanitize my bottles. I make sure the bottles are clean first and that there is no soap or rinse aid in the dishwasher. After maybe 500 bottles or so, I haven't had contamination yet (that I could taste that is).

I may be mistaken, but I believe most dishwashers pump out whatever water is in the dishwasher when the cycle starts. It could be that your dishwasher pumps your sanitizer out right in the beginning.

I also use the dishwasher to sanitize my bottles. I make sure the bottles are clean first and that there is no soap or rinse aid in the dishwasher. After maybe 500 bottles or so, I haven't had contamination yet (that I could taste that is).

I put Star-San in the place where the detergent goes and close the door. Because mine does the same. Pumps out any water at the beginning of the cycle.

Back