Utah now legal HB-51

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catch-22

Reaction score
Just joined. This site is awesome with a wealth of knowledge. My question is if anyone can tell me what this really entitles the "previously criminal utah homebrewer" to? Does this mean that we can gather and form clubs, have competitions etc....? I posted this same question in the Utah group as well but would love outside input as well.

This appears to be the law as it was approved:
Utah Legislature HB0051

It makes no mention of groups or clubs for brewing. This exemption was only needed because previously Utah required a license for anyone to brew. With the addition on this exemption you no longer need a license to homebrew. So form a club, hold a competition, and raise your glass to homebrew :mug:

I do think its strange that they made limits on the amount of your homebrew that you can transport (72 ounces).:confused: That just seems ludicrous.

Little steps... little steps. Utah just passed probably the most sweeping liquor law changes ever. I consider that pretty amazing. It seems about half of the elected officials are afraid of alcohol and the other half just kinda giggle.

I actually had no idea it was illegal when I started a few months back, but I'm happy I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Leave the lables on the bottles, 72oz problem solved.

Which is ridiculous by the way. This was instituted by double malted scotch swilling politicians... would you expect them to be anything other than out of touch with reality?

Does this mean that we can gather and form clubs, have competitions etc....?

Form an association? I think I'd look to the First Amendment to the Constitution for that one (and Article 14, which applies the Bill of Rights to the States)... ;)

Latest posts

Back