Using Vodka For Cacao Nibs - How Much Is Enough / Too Much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adding to the boil would release fats from the cocoa nibs which would negatively affect head retention.

I posted Drew's nib extract recipe from Experimental Brewing mostly because of its consistency. It allows a home brewer to follow the extraction recipe which is one less variable you have to worry about with making chocolate infused beers. The amount/temp/time would vary greatly between a Mild and Russian Imperial Stout due to the alcohol percentage. At least with the extract method you can dose in the keg with a small sample and multiply up, where as in secondary your stuck with what you have already done to the beer good or bad. Just my two cents I think either way will work but the extract gives you more control/consistency.

Idk about that but the cocoa nibs and vodka thing reall added a nice bit of cocoa flavor to the stout I just made..then killed an entire batch in one weekend...all I can say is it most deffinatley works well..

I just added coco nibs to an imperial stout coming out of a bourbon barrel. I spread the nibs on a baking sheet and toasted them at about 350 until they smelled great, ~15 mins. Then I put them in a carboy and racked the beer on top. The heat takes care of any nasties you don't want in the brew, and because you are adding the nibs themselves they will continue to develop, were as the spirit extraction you get what you get. As far as time I think it took about 2 weeks to get the flavor I was after, but I would judge via your taste buds, and not your calendar.

Cheers

Just drank my second bottle from a Peace Java Stout kit, where I soaked the coffee beans and cacao nibs (my contribution to the kit) in vodka and added in the secondary.

It is mellowing out nicely, and I definitely would not hesitate to use this process again. The more time goes by, the more the flavors blend together.

I find through trial and error that I got the best flavor from toasting my nibs for flavor then soaking in vodka for a day to extract a little into the tincture and dropping it in the secondary. ..i read alot of people do one or the other...so I did both with wonderfull results

Reviving this. I've Got a Northern Brewer chocolate milk stout all grain kit going on day 2. I'm anti-secondary. Can't I follow Drews method, and dump it in the primary After fermentation settles, llet it sit for a week, and keg? Or, can I rack the beer to keg, dump in the extract, let it sit for a week, then chill/carbonate? Or should I suck it up and dirty a second carboy? I read that nibs don't do well in primary, as they get lost in the trub, but seems the extract method would solve that issue.

Reviving this. I've Got a Northern Brewer chocolate milk stout all grain kit going on day 2. I'm anti-secondary. Can't I follow Drews method, and dump it in the primary After fermentation settles, llet it sit for a week, and keg? Or, can I rack the beer to keg, dump in the extract, let it sit for a week, then chill/carbonate? Or should I suck it up and dirty a second carboy? I read that nibs don't do well in primary, as they get lost in the trub, but seems the extract method would solve that issue.

I just throw them in a hop sack, toss them in the primary for two weeks.

If you’re using a tincture I don’t think it matters if the nibs get lost in the trub. The flavor will be coming from the liquid you throw in.

If you’re using a tincture I don’t think it matters if the nibs get lost in the trub. The flavor will be coming from the liquid you throw in.

Brewed a breakfast stout yesterday and am essentially doing this. When the beer is ready for the keg, I'm just going to add the tincture to a clean/sanitized keg, and rack the beer in on top of the tincture. This is the same way I do tinctures for goses and works well.

Brewed a breakfast stout yesterday and am essentially doing this. When the beer is ready for the keg, I'm just going to add the tincture to a clean/sanitized keg, and rack the beer in on top of the tincture. This is the same way I do tinctures for goses and works well.
So I soaked my nibs in Goslings black rum for 4 days, dumped it in the primary on day 7, all the tincture, about half the nibs, kegged at day 14, turned out great. I was somehow worried that it might be too bitter if I threw in all the nibs, but in hindsight, I could have just dumped it all in. Brought a growler to a friend's party, it went pretty fast. Does the Goslings matter over just vodka? My pallet isn't good enough to know, but it definitely isn't worse.

Back