Cacao Nib Tincture: Anybody Done This?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fwiw, I rarely see any oil/fat on the surface of my nib extraction but when I eventually chill the stout it gets dumped into there is typically a waxy substance that ends up clinging to the sides of the fermentor when it's drained into a keg that I presume is the fats/oils that were dissolved in the dark rum. Wouldn't amount to a teaspoonful...

Cheers!

Those look promising... Most of Apex's products (at least the chocolate ones) say "for beer, start at a 0.20% use level" and adjust from there...

So if I've got 1 gallon of beer (128 ounces) I want to flavor... I'd want 128 * 0.20%, or 128 * (0.2/100) or 0.256 oz of Apex choco flavoring, correct?

Next question: how the hell do you pick from: { chocolate, chocolate cake, chocolate chip, chocolate coconut, chocolate hazelnut, chocolate pretzel } ?!?

Those look promising... Most of Apex's products (at least the chocolate ones) say "for beer, start at a 0.20% use level" and adjust from there...

So if I've got 1 gallon of beer (128 ounces) I want to flavor... I'd want 128 * 0.20%, or 128 * (0.2/100) or 0.256 oz of Apex choco flavoring, correct?

Next question: how the hell do you pick from: { chocolate, chocolate cake, chocolate chip, chocolate coconut, chocolate hazelnut, chocolate pretzel } ?!?

You should go off of your taste . Get a dropper with measurements. Add to a pint of beer . Then add that much per total pints in your keg.

It's nice to have options :)

I'd assume the chocolate is just that alone, while the rest have something more added. The 'cake probably has vanilla added, maybe the 'chip is "semi-sweet" chocolate, the others are obvious...

Cheers!

16 lb 2 row pale malt
1 lb flaked barley
1 lb chocolate malt
1/4 lb black barley malt
1/4 lb black patent malt (could combine both black malts into either one really)
1/4 lb roasted barley
1/2 lb crystal/caramel malt 40-60L
1/2 lb caramalt
1/4 lb Gambrinus Honey Malt

2 oz Chinook pellets, 60 minutes
2 oz Cascade pellets, 15-20 minutes
2 lb honey, end of boil (TURN OFF THE BURNER BEFORE STIRRING IN!)
1/2 lb low fat cocoa powder, end of boil
Fermentis S04, 2 packs
1/2 lb cacao nibs and a pair of scraped chopped and smushed vanilla beans, soaked in dark rum for a week, then add the whole thing at secondary
1 oz pure chocolate extract, add at kegging

I have been mashing this at 148°F to get the FG down in the mid-upper 20s.
Serve on nitro if possible! If so, only carbonate to ~1.2 volumes lest the pours turn into a chocolate foam fiasco...

Cheers!

I'm finally getting ready to plan this brew! But a couple of questions first: How many IBU's do you aim for? About 70 -ish? Also, what can I sub for the "caramalt"? I've got Briess munich 10L in my pantry, and could pick up some Briess caramel 10L (or 20L) easily enough.

lots of ways to add nibs. hard to tell which is best unless you split your batch up before the nibs and do different nib methods and then do a side-by-side comparison of the beer.

never thought about any oils in the nibs. but would not those oils simply separate and float to the top? Floating dip tube will eject them on ht efirst beer. Standards dip tube would eject them on the last pint. Everything in between should be oil free beer?

I mean, oil and water (beer) probably don't mix.

In BS, what Style are you setting this beer as?

Imperial Stout. Seems proper ;)

never thought about any oils in the nibs. but would not those oils simply separate and float to the top?

There is indeed some fat in cocoa nibs - and likely some fat from the low fat cocoa powder I add at the end of the boil as well - that will make it into the fermentor. But what I have consistently found is it doesn't amount to much at all, and generally conglomerates into a filmy "thing" floating around on the surface, that conveniently will stick to the side of the fermentor when racking to a keg. So it gets left behind...

Cheers!

Back