Using the triclover ferule to ground kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenniferBropez

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all, I am in the middle of assembling a 240v brew system. I have been reading about grounding the kettle and how people have done it. My understanding is you should test it with a multimeter to be sure there is continuity.

I was testing the 5500 watt ripple element today. It is an integrated TC element. I checked for continuity from the ground pin of the element to the integrated TC ferule on the element and it read 0.9 ohms so my thinking is this part of the element is grounded. If I am I correct please let me know.

I will be silver soldering a TC ferule onto my pot instead of going with a weldless option. If I am correct about the element TC ferule being grounded then won't the kettle be grounded as well given that the triclover clamp acts as a mechanical bond between the TC ferules it is joining?

To test this out I connected the kettle solder ferule to the element ferule with the TC clamp and tested it with the multimeter. I connected one multimeter lead to the element ground pin and one to the kettle TC ferule and it read 0.9 ohms.

Does this mean I have ground continuity between the ground pin and kettle solder TC ferule? If so, given that I am silver soldering my TC ferule to my kettle, doesn't that mean my kettle would be grounded through the TC clamp?

I know there are lower ohm values for continuity but my multimeter only reads as low as 0.9 when I touch the leads together or when I touch them to any metal surface. I even tested it on a bare piece of copper wire and it still read 0.9.

I can see if you had a weldless TC ferule installed on your kettle that you would have to run a separate ground wire from the kettle but if it is welded in or soldered and the continuity readings are below 1 ohm then it should be grounded right?

Last edited:
Yes the TC clamp will insure a good ground connection of the pot to the element flange (which is grounded to the ground blade of the plug.)

Brew on :mug:

Sure it will. There's no harm in grounding your table either.
... as long as the table is metal. ;)

Probably better to ground a metal table permanently with a connection separate from any of the pots, elements, etc.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks you guys. This is good news. I was not wanting to add a free standing wire to my kettle if I didn't have to. I didn't know that when I was deciding between a weldless and solder TC flange. The solder option making it possible to forgo adding a wire to the pot is a selling point for me. Getting excited about finishing up adding in the outlet and getting started. I will be brewing on our washing machine which is already grounded. Thanks again for the replies!
Ben

Thanks for clarifying Bobby. I was under the impression that it would be insulated due to the o-ring. Sounds like it makes enough contact to ground the kettle.
Ben

Latest posts

Back