Using different yeasts together

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velorider11

Reaction score
Hi, this is a follow up to an earlier question. I brewed yesterday and didn't have time to make a starter. It was an extract NB Belgian strong golden ale with OG of 1.080. I had Wyeast 1388 which was recommended and after getting advice here that White Labs WLP570 is the same strain, I went to the LHBS to get some. They didn't have that but they had 1 Wyeast 1388 left so I got that and then I was concerned about underpitching so they did have 1 vial of WLP 545 and I got that too. I pitched all 3 at 4:30 yesterday afternoon at 70 degrees and now this morning it's got a nice thick krausen. Question is, will the WLP545 added to the Wyeast 1388 have an adverse effect or will the additional yeast be beneficial. I'm planning on about a 2-3 month primary and then bottling. Thanks

I'm sure it will be fine. Might affect the flavor profile some but that may not be such a bad thing.

I'm not much of an expert on any of those particular strains but I'm sure you'll be ok. Not that you have a choice now that they are all in there. They should all add some kind of flavor to the beer making it a bit more complex and if I remember correctly in Yeast by Chris White they don't buy the argument that one will out compete or dominate over the other because Brewer's yeast typically grow at the same rate. Either way, if they all have similar flavor profiles so you shouldn't worry.

Back