Using a pasta maker to mill grain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dammit! where were you ingenious bastages last year when I was looking for a grain mill!!!! :D Oh well, I guess I will just live with my 6" wide 2" diameter triple roller monster mill....

My buddy that knurled them said they did a .0050" (50 thousandths) depth on the knurl.

Great job! I didn't expect knurling to work. Those are very hard rollers and yet hollow. I thought they'd need too much pressure on a lathe. My guy was hesitant to knurl.

By the way I think you meant 0.050".

This is great, I have an old pasta machine somewhere around the house I will have to dig out. Might try some different methods to see what kind of traction I can get on the rollers.

FWIW, Hobby Lobby usually has a 40% off coupon every other week. Just go to hobbylobby.com and click on "Weekly Specials". I picked up some rare earth magnets while I was there too for a stir plate.

Great job! I didn't expect knurling to work. Those are very hard rollers and yet hollow. I thought they'd need too much pressure on a lathe. My guy was hesitant to knurl.

By the way I think you meant 0.050".

You are right. Too many zeros.

I am not going to complain for $26.50 invested so far and some scrap wood for a hopper. :D

This is great, I have an old pasta machine somewhere around the house I will have to dig out. Might try some different methods to see what kind of traction I can get on the rollers.

FWIW, Hobby Lobby usually has a 40% off coupon every other week. Just go to hobbylobby.com and click on "Weekly Specials". I picked up some rare earth magnets while I was there too for a stir plate.

Send me your rollers, $20 for a knurl with shipping included both ways! :)

Can anyone tell me how to get the rollers off of the machine? I got one of the sides off but can't for the life of me figure out how to pull the rollers off. Thanks

Can anyone tell me how to get the rollers off of the machine? I got one of the sides off but can't for the life of me figure out how to pull the rollers off. Thanks

Mine had a couple long bolts that ran side to side that kept the sides together and some screws holding the side to the base. You might want to try and rough up the rollers with a drill bit before you take the sides off.

so this is what i want?
Amazon.com: Pasta Maker: Toys & Games

what do i need to make it automatic instead of hand crank?

That looks like it would work. I have this one: Amazon.com: V177 AL DENTE Pasta Machine: VillaWare: Home & Garden

Most people have used a drill to automate their mill. You can modify the crank arm that comes with it or use a 3/8 inch paddle bit like this: http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd100186

The paddle bit fits right into the slot the crank arm goes in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people have used a drill to automate their mill. You can modify the crank arm that comes with it or use a 3/8 inch paddle bit like this: http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd100186

The paddle bit fits right into the slot the crank arm goes in.

I found the same thing when I was working on mine. Unfortunately since it is a drill bit there was no way for me to drill a small hole through it to pin it. I'm not using a drill to automate so needed a way to put a couple pins through to attach it to the motor I am using.

Stick a screwdriver in the adjuster knob and tap it in there a few times with a hammer. The Plug will fall out, revealing a nut and a spring. Take them off, but mark the position of the dial on the adjuster knob i.e. setting 5 or 3 or 6. Then continue to remove parts until the rollers are free. You will need to remove some Retainer clips but they are very soft metal, be gentle.

Revvy also posted a link in this thread somewhere and in there is a link to disassembly. My pictures sucked so I didn't post them.

I found the same thing when I was working on mine. Unfortunately since it is a drill bit there was no way for me to drill a small hole through it to pin it. I'm not using a drill to automate so needed a way to put a couple pins through to attach it to the motor I am using.

Use a section on the motor side and pin it, then use a coupler to join it and the drill bit together. I know it would need to be balanced pretty well but you'd get it figured out. :)

Use a section on the motor side and pin it, then use a coupler to join it and the drill bit together. I know it would need to be balanced pretty well but you'd get it figured out. :)

True, I thought about that but I'm doing super-cheap ;) So far I have $18 into the whole build. If I had a coupler around I would have done what you mentioned. Instead I just cut and straightened the handle that came with the pasta roller.

True, I thought about that but I'm doing super-cheap ;) So far I have $18 into the whole build. If I had a coupler around I would have done what you mentioned. Instead I just cut and straightened the handle that came with the pasta roller.

Thats what I did too. Its nearly straight, the slightest wobble but thats ok, the machine vibrates enough simply by crushing the grains that it negates the slight wobble introduced by the input shaft.

I know you guys are using motors, but I thought I would post 2 pics of the slot that the crank goes in and one showing the drill bit in there:

pastamill2.jpg

pastamill1.jpg

I picked this Rotary Rasp Set from Harbor Freight today for 3.99. I used them with my high speed corded drill and it roughed up the rollers really well. I'm sure its not as ideal as precision angled knurling, but they seem like they will get the job done. I will post pics later

04476.gif

Hey all, my attempt to motorize this with a hand mixer failed. I had to use a screw-gun to run the mill. What are you all looking in to for motorizing?

For now, a drill, but I was looking at maybe a fan motor out of an old ceiling fan attached to a dimmer switch for speed control. I swear I had one I removed from my bedroom when I moved into the new house... where did I put that....

Mine is done and I used it last weekend (very first all-grain brew). My crush looked identical to what I received from Midwest so I considered it "working fine". I might tighten it a bit more next time to get it a little finer.

Sorry, no pictures, but everything worked fine. I'm using a 1 gallon juice bottle as my hopper and the crushed grain drops into a 5 gallon bucket. One of the machinists from work agreed to knurl the rollers for a 6 pack of homebrew (how horrible ;) )

I used an old electric meat grinder from Harbor Freight (they no longer sell the one I used) to power it. A drill bit quick release was all I needed to connect the grinder to the 3/8 spade bit (very lucky coincidence there). The meat grinder is cheaply made and probably won't survive for long. I have a low speed high torque drill I'll try next. I just need to make something to hold it all together.

I also need to enlarge the hole through the bucket lid, the crushed grain really doesn't fall straight down.

I can post pictures if people are interested.

Mine is done and I used it last weekend (very first all-grain brew). My crush looked identical to what I received from Midwest so I considered it "working fine". I might tighten it a bit more next time to get it a little finer.

I can post pictures if people are interested.

What did you cover it with that you put the juice jug in? Piece of clear plastic screwed in from the looks of it.

That is some much simpler than anything else I've seen.

Exactly.

It's a piece of generic tupperware I cut to the right width then used a heat gun to shape it around the top then screwed on. The hopper is simply press fit through a hole drilled through it. The hole is slightly smaller than the threads so it stays there. I might need to change it eventually but it works for now.

Randy

Is there a verdict on whether the rollers need to be knurled?
I'd like to try this project, but I'm not sure about where I'd get the knurling done.

Thanks

Dude!
That is awsome. I'm on board. Got my pasta mill in the garage.
A $30 marcato from a garage sale for $4.
Still has the price tag.
Thank for all of you who shared!

I did the drill bit trick on mine and it worked great.

I just put a 3/8 drill bit in my cordless drill, set it in reverse and ran the bit across both rollers and advanced it after I made a line. It was very quick and the grain pulls in great.

Running the drill bit backwards keeps the bit from trying to grab the rollers and pull itself in.

I don't even need a grain mill but I wanted to see how well it would work.

pastamill.jpg

My friend's lathe is waiting on a part.
Therefore, I am waiting on the knurling for my rollers.
Hopefully this weekend.

Is there a verdict on whether the rollers need to be knurled?
I'd like to try this project, but I'm not sure about where I'd get the knurling done.

Thanks

Folks have had equally good results with knurling and using the drill bit. I think the knurled rollers look nicer and the drilled ones are easier because you don't have to take it a part.

Offer is still open to have your rollers knurled by my buddy, $20 including shipping round trip. Let me know.

EDIT: There does need to be some roughness to the rollers. They are too small in diameter to remain flat. This was tested by yuri_rage.

Offer is still open to have your rollers knurled by my buddy, $20 including shipping round trip. Let me know.

EDIT: There does need to be some roughness to the rollers. They are too small in diameter to remain flat. This was tested by yuri_rage.

I will be sending mine shortly (mid next week) and will be sure to get pictures back to everyone as soon as the rollers return.

I did this in 10 minutes start to finish after being frustrated with the corona I have been adapting: 1/4" drill bit, running in reverse, start tight gap spinning handle in reverse, then found it easier to set it wide and let the drill pull the rollers around.

DSC01779.JPG

It pulled in the lip on the bottom, but seems to be fine:

DSC01780.JPG

Here is the crush:

DSC01778.JPG

I am sold. I turned it with the 3/8" spade bit on a Ryobi cordless set to low speed. I will build a hopper next.

So I think that I need to texture my rollers more...I ran a pound of grain through to finish the bill for my Imperial Brown Ale and I had to apply a bit of pressure to the top of the grain to get it to feed through properly. I'll more than likely be going the drill bit route as well as I've already scratched them up pretty good with the dremmel.

I just bought my pasta maker yesterday. Are there any more people out there with additional pictures of their setup? I'm wondering how much of a mess it is with the ones I have seen on here so far - they look pretty open at the bottom...

I am working on building a hopper for mine now. Think I am going to use a 5g plastic water jug or something out of wood. Plan on mounting it over a bucket.

Nice work, Chefmike. I haven't been able to locate a cheap pasta maker since I found this thread.... still looking....

Back