UPS shipping - Damage claims

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtvann

Reaction score
Checking in to see if anybody here has past experience with filing damage claims with UPS. How complicated was the process? Do you think it was fair? Did you get a fair reimbursement for what you claimed as far as damage?

Checking in to see if anybody here has past experience with filing damage claims with UPS. How complicated was the process? Do you think it was fair? Did you get a fair reimbursement for what you claimed as far as damage?

I just went through it unsuccessfully. A few comments
  • If you shipped through a shipping store, go to them. They should handle it. Take the package to them.
  • UPS will want pictures.
  • UPS says they will NOT pay out more than the insurance, which is by default $100. I think that's like extortion (i.e., "If you want us to deliver your package without breaking it, hee hee, you'll need to give us more money").
  • UPS might issue a "call tag" to get the damaged product and box. My shipping store did that. They didn't return it. WTH?
  • When possible, FedEx > UPS > USPS
In my case, the motor was not packaged properly, bounced around in a box, and the box was nearly destroyed and the motor broken. I don't think it was UPS's fault completely. I did not pack the box, the shipping store did. In the end I got stuck with the $800 loss. Ugh.

If the package was beer, good luck, they usually refuse to cover a claim since they do not "officially" allow shipping of beer. I shipped beers to comp last year and it was damaged by them, repackaged and delivered to someone in a completely different state than it was suppose to go to. And as soon as I filed a claim, they rejected it due to "prohibited items".

Nope, not beer. Equipment. More similar to passedpawn, but packing was very good. Lots of visible external damage to the box itself post shipping. There’s lots of pictures of the before and after. Pictures pre shipping of each component and how it looked before then after, as well as the box before and after. Pictures of box before opening as well.

Estimated value as at 1500, and so far I know there’s about 500 dollars of damage. There could be more but hopefully not.

Why I try to never use UPS. They damaged a $3500 moisture probe several years ago of mine. They are nearly as bad as the postal service anymore. Good luck with them, they stuck it to me.

This is what I was expecting but not wanting to hear.

I shipped beers to comp last year and it was damaged by them, repackaged and delivered to someone in a completely different state than it was suppose to go to. And as soon as I filed a claim, they rejected it due to "prohibited items".

It takes brass balls to try to file a claim on damaged/lost beer. :mug:
Or was it damaged "barbeque sauce?" Or "yeast samples?"

Nope, not beer. Equipment. More similar to passedpawn, but packing was very good. Lots of visible external damage to the box itself post shipping. There’s lots of pictures of the before and after. Pictures pre shipping of each component and how it looked before then after, as well as the box before and after. Pictures of box before opening as well.

Estimated value as at 1500, and so far I know there’s about 500 dollars of damage. There could be more but hopefully not.
Hopefully the shipper filled in the "declared value" during shipping. If so, they typically cover it, assuming the packaging was reasonable.

I just got finished with a successful claim on Oct 16th for a Blichmann BrewEasy. It took a month & a half. The process is driven by the sender, and they have to call quite often to keep things moving. We requested $800 but they only reimbursed us $500 because that's what I declared on the box. I hope the sender raised the value when they sent it. PM me and I can walk you through the process.

I got screwed by UPS on a sink I found on Craigslist and was damaged during shipping. Was shipped by UPS Store with insurance and they still wouldn’t cover the damages. F..king racket as far as I’m concerned. Luckily I could straighten out the damage and live with the damages but to not honor the insurance that I paid extra for sucked. I honestly rate them a bit different. Fedex > USPS > UPS. At least that’s how I spend my shipping money these days.

They "lost" me a box full of good stuff from the Mikkeller shop, luckily Mikkeller solved it pretty fast, I guess they help companies that bring the money but if you're an individual, chances are you are srewed

Watch "Funniest Video Ever | Amazon Prime vs UPS vs FedEx | Must Watch | TikTok Funny Clip" on YouTube

Now on a serious note, I hope you get it fixed.

I purchased a pH meter from Amazon and it was for $148. Amazon sent it UPS Surepost. Under Surepost, the item is given to USPS for final delivery. The USPS carrier placed the item in a Parcel Locker, but gave the key to a neighbor who decided to keep it instead of being honest (typical Oregonian). I never did get the item. Under UPS rules, the $100 automatic insurance is cancelled as soon as it is given to USPS.. So, now I have no item, no insurance, and no recourse, just a bill. I filed a claim with USPS and the came back that the carrier stated she placed it in the locker... CASED CLOSED. Amazon, has reached the same conclusion. Therefore, always make sure that you never use UPS Surepost.

shipping some ups is what i call dropping a deuce. what can brown do for you?

Just got a bucket of honey on the second try. Looked at the tracking info and it said item damaged, disposed as per shippers instructions. waited a few days, and nothing. Called up the store and they looked at it and reshipped immediately. i had told my wife to be sure to check it immediately if I wasn't there when it came in, didn't even make it to me on the first try. that was Fedex. Not sure who paid for the first one, just not me. I kind of wish they would have sent pictures though.... I pity the bastard who had to clean up.

I purchased a pH meter from Amazon and it was for $148. Amazon sent it UPS Surepost. Under Surepost, the item is given to USPS for final delivery. The USPS carrier placed the item in a Parcel Locker, but gave the key to a neighbor who decided to keep it instead of being honest (typical Oregonian). I never did get the item. Under UPS rules, the $100 automatic insurance is cancelled as soon as it is given to USPS.. So, now I have no item, no insurance, and no recourse, just a bill. I filed a claim with USPS and the came back that the carrier stated she placed it in the locker... CASED CLOSED. Amazon, has reached the same conclusion. Therefore, always make sure that you never use UPS Surepost.
I'd want to know why the carrier didn't put the key in your mailbox, like they're supposed to...
https://faq.usps.com/s/article/What-is-a-Cluster-Box

Used to be a fine-art printer. UPS put a forklift through a wooden crate holding a $100k painting on its way back to Japan. Luckily the artist's insurance company handled that one.

Myself, I have lost some expensive things that UPS crushed. Less issues with FedEx. Mostly use USPS now for all of the Ebay stuff we ship.

Back