Typical fermentation duration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinnyb1981

Reaction score
My first beer, I saw after about 2-3 days it basically stopped bubbling. I transferred it to my secondary and saw no movement.

My next beer I saw it bubbling for about 3-4 days in primary. I had added juice to my secondary before racking the beer in. Now it's still fermenting, again, but it's been over 7 days, that typical? Its not crazy fast but slowly bubbling. This seems normal to me, but wanted to see what other people thought.

First, I'd say don't use the airlock as an indication of fermentation. Use gravity readings. If over the course of 3 days your gravity hasn't changed, you're probably done.

Second, don't rush to package the beer. Just because fermentation is complete doesn't mean you're ready to bottle or keg. After the yeast finishes eating up the sugars it will go back and clean up diacetyl, a bi-product of fermentation that is undesirable in most beers.

Lastly, there is no simple answer to your question. The health of your yeast, the strain, the temperature and the amount of fermentables can all impact how long fermentation takes. In a standard 1.050-1.060 OG brew, if I had to pick a number, I'd say your fermentation should be pretty much done within a week with the majority being completed in the first 3 days.

That OG is spot on what I had, 1.050. Thanks for the info I didn't realize all that yeast does, I was thinking only about the APV percentage. What I'm more afraid of is having exploding bottles in the house. I'd rather leave it a little longer to prevent that from happening and if the air lock is bubbling then I believe it's making CO2.

Various things can create bubbles in the airlock. Movement (ie walking past it and moving the floor), temperature change and, of course, fermentation.

I generally leave my brews for an absolute minimum of 2 weeks. That minimum only applies to kegged IPAs that I want SUPER fresh. Otherwise 3-4 weeks is my typical.

I would never bottle beer until at least 2 weeks after brew day. Whether it's a one-week primary + a 1 week secondary or 2 week primary. But, I've never bottled in less than 2 weeks from brew day and I've never had a bottle bomb. Many don't secondary. That's personal choice. I do as it frees up the primary for another batch! :)

Bottle bombs suck. I give it at least 7-10 days in primary. I have 2 in primary right now. I will leave the stout in primary for at least 2 weeks. I may move to secondary or leave on yeast for 2-3 more weeks. I have a small beer that I made with a 4th running and 6 lbs of grain. This one has been in primary for 2 days and is almost to gravity. It needs more time to clean up though. It will stay 2 weeks. I would never take off of yeast that quickly. Yeast will help clear it some also

Back