Two dumb questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoochin'Fool

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
1) Does anyone make a CLEAR/TRANSPARENT bucket lid?
I want to peek at my beer without having to remove the lid...​

2) How long should StarSan last in a spray bottle?
I made a batch with 1/4 oz StarSan in 1 gallon tap water, and poured into spray bottle. Was nice and foamy on brew day, but now (6 days later), it doesn't foam up at all when I spray it on anything.​

I keep StarSan around for months and months after mixed, it's not a problem, even if it turns cloudy. There's an entire episode on "Basic Brewing Radio", where they interview the guy that invented it if your curious.

1. Buckets are commodity items, lids from one manufacturer seem to fit any other so it is unlikely that a clear lid would be produced as it would take a different type of plastic that probably wouldn't be compatible with their machines.

I'd probably cut a hole in a lid and tape Saran Wrap to the inside and outside of the lid to make a window. It might not last long but bucket lids are not very expensive. Midwest supplies show a lid for a 6.5 gallon bucket at $5.49 plus shipping.

1) Does anyone make a CLEAR/TRANSPARENT bucket lid?
I want to peek at my beer without having to remove the lid...​

2) How long should StarSan last in a spray bottle?
I made a batch with 1/4 oz StarSan in 1 gallon tap water, and poured into spray bottle. Was nice and foamy on brew day, but now (6 days later), it doesn't foam up at all when I spray it on anything.​

1) I've never seen a clear lid for the common food-grade bucket, but you could always just order a FerMonster carboy - clear body with a wide mouth for easy cleaning. They're a little more $$ than a bucket but not exorbitant...

2) As others have said: Use RO or distilled water, and it'll last for ages.

1) If you search "clear 5 gallon buckets" you'll find a lot of options. Unfortunately, most of the lids are not clear, only the buckets and I can't speak to the quality of the plastic - just be sure it is food grade. Also, they are not totally clear, more translucent, but I'm sure you could see the krausen form and fall through the bucket sides.

Another option would be a the plastic fermonsters. That's what I use and i can easily see what is happening inside the bucket. As mentioned above, they are not too expensive and I've had mine for several years now with no problems. I got one with a spigot, makes emptying the beer into a bottling bucket very easy.

2) I use tap, which in my area is not too bad. I usually keep it around for a month or two.

Cheers.

Save the money you will spend for a clear lid. Though not much cost wise, you might find that after you've done a few more batches you might want to change to another type of fermenter.

Maybe something like a Fermzilla or Fermonster or even just a PET carboy or other such. Though the lid still won't be clear, the FV body will be.

Or if you go to a conical that isn't clear, you can put a sight glass on the bottom that will give you all the clear you need... once you dump all the trub and yeast.

Had an extra bucket lid (they're like $2 at Menard's), so thought I'd give it a try...

b2.png

LOL I wasn't very patient about getting wrinkles out...

b1.png

Smells great, looks decent, the wrinkles distort things a bit, but still a good view to see how the krausen looks! Not going to test gravity until next Friday, but I'm pretty sure there's still some slow fermentation going on. The bucket lid doesn't have a ring gasket (or whatever that's called), so CO2 should still be able to escape, but now I'm wondering if my saran wrap or tape job will be the weakest link for CO2 to escape out of.

Think I'm just going to put the original lid back on, and stop thinking about how much I want to sample my latest batch! :)

Not dumb questions at all.

1. Not that I've found, but I did make one out of a spare lid, Lexan, silicone, and some rivets. It was cool, but not needed so I didn't make more. Not as transparent as you think it would be because all the condensate tends to block your view.

2. Until it's gone, I guess. I have a spray bottle that I refill when it's empty. About 3+ or so months between fillings.

1. Buckets are commodity items, lids from one manufacturer seem to fit any other so it is unlikely that a clear lid would be produced as it would take a different type of plastic that probably wouldn't be compatible with their machines.

I'd probably cut a hole in a lid and tape Saran Wrap to the inside and outside of the lid to make a window. It might not last long but bucket lids are not very expensive. Midwest supplies show a lid for a 6.5 gallon bucket at $5.49 plus shipping.
I was going to suggest cutting a hole and silicone-sealing in a piece of plexiglass. But, you sir, are clearly more smarter than I.
Not dumb questions at all.
I stand by that one.

+infinity to the Fermonsters. I have two 7g ones, and they are the shiznit. Wide mouth for cleaning, sturdy, and will last forever if you treat them right (don't EVER use anything scratchy to clean them; a soft sponge or microfiber towel only). They can be a bit awkward to move around, but there are harnesses that make it easier. They are a bit pricey (currently $48.88 on Amazon) but are well worth it. I looked into the Catalyst when I was shopping, but they don't fit in my ferment fridge; I can get two fermonsters in it with no issues.

Last edited:
Fermonsters are great with that wide-mouth. But read the directions -- pouring hot wort into it will get you above the Tg of PET, so it'll melt and flow like Barbie under a magnifying glass on a hot summer day.

Don't tell me you've never done THAT to your sister's toys growing up...

Back